Thyroids and Memory Loss

• 3 weeks later...

Do you mean hypothyroid (underactive thyroid)? Then it would be low thyroid hormone, not sure of the exact name of the hormone. As far as I know there isn't anything you can take for herbs, foods, etc to help increase that level. However there are foods that can enhance goiter(enlarged) thyroid, and there is an association between goiter and thyroid function.

I know a little about this because I have multinodular goiter, and am symptomatic for hypothyroid, but my blood chemistry is normal for thyroid hormones, which basically means they don't do anything.

If you did have an underactive thyroid, eventually the typical treatment is to recieve the hormone in pill form. in this case, as a vegan, you would want the synthetic hormone, since the natural version is actually made from animal thyroid. Yuck, huh?

If it's hypothyroid you need meds. I have it.

For memory loss, I would recommend.....ahh I forget.

You have meds for me?? *sniff* *sniff* umm.. you got the "stuff"?? *sniff* *sniff*

No actually I ment I am hypothroid and have perscription meds.

If it's hypothyroid you need meds. I have it.

For memory loss, I would recommend.....ahh I forget.

You have meds for me?? *sniff* *sniff* umm.. you got the "stuff"?? *sniff* *sniff*

No actually I ment I am hypothroid and have perscription meds.

I knew that.... really.

It's your diet, you can only remember stuff if you eat meat.

How am I supposed to remember to eat meat??? it's such a dilemma!

LOL!! you know what, the guys at my work say stuff like that to me all the time. Every time I bang my leg, drop something, sneeze, yawn, etc. it's always "Because you're not eating enough meat"

Hilarious!

• 2 weeks later...

You may be eating too many goitrogens (highly likely if you are vegan). Goitrogens are naturally-occurring substances that can interfere with function of the thyroid gland. Goitrogens get their name from the term “goiter,” which means an enlargement of the thyroid gland. If the thyroid gland is having difficulty making thyroid hormone, it may enlarge as a way of trying to compensate for this inadequate hormone production. “Goitrogens,” like circumstances that cause goiter, cause difficulty for the thyroid in making its hormone.

There are two general and one misc. category of foods that have been associated with disrupted thyroid hormone production in humans:

1.soybean-related foods:

-tofu and tempeh

2. Cruciferous Vegetables:

-Broccoli

-Brussel sprouts

-Cabbage

-Cauliflower

-Kale

-Kohlrabi

-Mustard

-Rutabaga

-Turnips

3. Other:

-Millet

-Peaches

-Peanuts

-Radishes

-Spinach

-Strawberries

*Fortunately, if you cook these foods, the goitrogens can diminished by 30-90%. Checking how many foods you eat that contain goitrogens may be a wise choice.

*Also, an herb that helps the thyroid is bladderwrack. It naturally contains iodine.

*Another thing, eat enough carbs. Your metabolism will slow down if you are depleted of glucose and you will most likely be lethargic.