soy products

mad05c

I've read that somewhere as well.... I just don't believe everything I hear (read). How much soy would one need to consume in order to raise their estrogen?? what is it about the soy bean that causes the rise in estrogen? Was it a research study funded by the mfg'rs of dairy products?

I heard that consuming cat yak raises testosterone levels, which is really great because I've just marketed pre-packaged cat yak powders! I sure am lucky that this research on cat yak and testosterone levels came out when it did!

Personally, I don't eat soy products because it makes me really gassy, also it seems to cause me to start lactating... hmmm....

It actually can lower excess estrogen levels. Phyto-estrogen's are like a 1000x weaker then real estrogen and they can attach to the estrogen receptors effectively competing with real estrogen, thus lowering real estrogen levels. The main sources of excess estrogen is from the environment and chemical toxins like plastics and paraben preservatives and from meat and dairy because of all the hormones in the meat.

Phyto-estrogen's are also in like everything. Soy is ONE source. Flax seeds are an even more powerful source, lignin's. All beans, nuts, seeds, fruits etc. It is common throughout plant foods and herbs. Honeybush tea is also high in isoflavanoids etc.

i heard somewhere that consuming soy products raises estrogen levels, therefore shouldnt be consumed by men....any truth to tthat??

It's disputed I think by scientists.

I don't think eating a lot of soy has done any harm to oriental men.

• 3 weeks later...

From what I've read, unfermented soy is what has been shown to cause some problems. The issues I have seen are higher estrogen levels, intestinal distress, and finally dementia. The only thing I've seen a real study on is actually the dementia part.

A study of Japanese men living in Hawaii was done, and those that ate tofu 2x a week or more had a statistically higher chance of dementia. Now in this study they really didn't survey a large sample population, and only stuck to japanese men. Here is a link:

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/entrez/query.fcgi?cmd=Retrieve&db=PubMed&list_uids=10763906&dopt=Abstract

I lived in China for 6 months, and a lot of the tofu that the Chinese consume is "stinky." They age it in pig pens for a month, so it develops these black moldy spots on it, and it smells like a toilet. They love it, I would almost vomit everytime I tried to eat it. The Japanese also have aged tofu as well, which is brown and pastey, and equally as appetizing. I so I wish I could get a taste for it though.