Vegan Bodybuilding & Fitness

Healthy Food Defines You
It is currently Fri Aug 01, 2014 7:47 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: Article: Starvation Mode
PostPosted: Fri Sep 09, 2011 4:07 pm 
Elephant

Interesting article. I'm not the biggest fan of FBB, but the study itself had some interesting results. Anyone agree, disagree?

http://fitnessblackbook.com/main/starvation-mode-why-you-probably-never-need-to-worry-about-it/

The study:
http://jap.physiology.org/content/88/5/1820.full

Post subject: Re: Article: Starvation Mode
PostPosted: Sat Sep 10, 2011 7:17 am 
Rabbit

I didn't listen to the whole study. But I did read the conclusion in the first link.
I am wondering what would they say about people that have large amounts of extra fat. I knew many that can't loose it even when trying to go on a Negative Calorie Diet. Why somebody that basically starving himself with eating like once or twice a day, very lil amount of Calories doesn't loose that fat.
I think the body is more sophisticated than we think. Maybe the study can show what happens when you push yourself real hard out of your comfort zone. Maybe the intensive workouts combined in that study actually made the body somehow set a priority for burning fat instead of breaking up muscles that needed for the physical activity. Still that study doesn't exclude the possibility that human body does slower metabolic rate at some cases.

PostPosted: Sat Sep 10, 2011 12:45 pm 
Rabbit

Yep, plus people who have lost lots of weight usually also have lost lots of muscle mass. Plus there are so many people out there who have lost a ton of weight, are still overweight and don't seem to be able to get any lower.

PostPosted: Sat Sep 10, 2011 10:17 pm 
Elephant

AlexNLP wrote:
.....Maybe the intensive workouts combined in that study actually made the body somehow set a priority for burning fat instead of breaking up muscles that needed for the physical activity. Still that study doesn't exclude the possibility that human body does slower metabolic rate at some cases.

Yeah I think a big part of it was their intense exercise regime, essentially forcing the body to conserve muscle and lose more fat....

PostPosted: Sun Sep 11, 2011 2:16 am 
Rabbit

Also I wonder what would happen if instead using intense exercise regime they would use normal daily workout. One that didn't push the soldiers out of their comfort zone. While keeping the Negative Calorie Balance. I bet they would see a different result.
In my eyes that study doesn't contradict what we know. It actually helps to understand why super intensive workouts can help when trying to loose fat and keep muscles mass.