Vegan substitutions for various "health" foods

All topics relating to health, diet, nutrition programs and any questions you might have about general health.

Moderators: Mini Forklift Ⓥ, C.O., Richard, robert, SyrLinus

Message
Author
User avatar
BlueRose
Gorilla
Posts: 560
Age: 38
Joined: Fri Mar 26, 2010 3:35 pm
Location: Boston, MA
Contact:

Vegan substitutions for various "health" foods

#1 Postby BlueRose » Tue Oct 04, 2011 10:46 pm

A few foods I keep seeing in various fitness foods/recipes that I am wondering what the vegan nutritional equivalent would be:

1 - cottage cheese
2 - Greek yogurt

I've had some decent soy yogurt but would prefer plain and unsweetened, add my own fruit without having the ton of sugar normally added.

Any thoughts?
rational romantic mystic cynical idealist.

Vegan Women's Bodybuilding & Fitness on FB: https://www.facebook.com/groups/1421637141388613/

Doing Les Mills Combat and loving it!
http://www.TeaAddictedGeek.com

User avatar
Fallen_Horse
Elephant
Posts: 2341
Joined: Mon Apr 28, 2008 12:10 pm
Location: Bakersfield, CA, USA
Contact:

Re: Vegan substitutions for various "health" foods

#2 Postby Fallen_Horse » Wed Oct 05, 2011 11:42 am

There is no cottage cheese.

As for yogurt, do you mean more unsweetened than this?
Image
Learning how to be compassionate, gain wisdom, and love life.

User avatar
ForwardConcern
Rabbit
Posts: 97
Joined: Sat Aug 06, 2011 8:19 pm
Location: Toronto
Contact:

Vegan substitutions for various "health" foods

#3 Postby ForwardConcern » Wed Oct 05, 2011 11:47 am

Actually there is a Scottish company that does a substitue for just about any cheese you can think. I've seen it in stores I'll have to look it up.
- Think Forward, Be Concerned!

User avatar
ForwardConcern
Rabbit
Posts: 97
Joined: Sat Aug 06, 2011 8:19 pm
Location: Toronto
Contact:

Vegan substitutions for various "health" foods

#4 Postby ForwardConcern » Wed Oct 05, 2011 11:48 am

I like the Wildwood Organic Plain Soy Yogurt.
- Think Forward, Be Concerned!

User avatar
BlueRose
Gorilla
Posts: 560
Age: 38
Joined: Fri Mar 26, 2010 3:35 pm
Location: Boston, MA
Contact:

Re: Vegan substitutions for various "health" foods

#5 Postby BlueRose » Wed Oct 05, 2011 11:55 am

Fallen_Horse wrote:There is no cottage cheese.[/img]


Well, duh. Did you read my question? Or the subject line?

Nutritional equivalent. *Equivalent*. What are these products claiming to have that can be replicated?

Thanks!
rational romantic mystic cynical idealist.

Vegan Women's Bodybuilding & Fitness on FB: https://www.facebook.com/groups/1421637141388613/

Doing Les Mills Combat and loving it!
http://www.TeaAddictedGeek.com

User avatar
BlueRose
Gorilla
Posts: 560
Age: 38
Joined: Fri Mar 26, 2010 3:35 pm
Location: Boston, MA
Contact:

Re: Vegan substitutions for various

#6 Postby BlueRose » Wed Oct 05, 2011 11:56 am

ForwardConcern wrote:Actually there is a Scottish company that does a substitue for just about any cheese you can think. I've seen it in stores I'll have to look it up.


Would that be Sheese? I love them!

I think the point was "mild low fat". Not certain....
rational romantic mystic cynical idealist.

Vegan Women's Bodybuilding & Fitness on FB: https://www.facebook.com/groups/1421637141388613/

Doing Les Mills Combat and loving it!
http://www.TeaAddictedGeek.com

User avatar
BlueRose
Gorilla
Posts: 560
Age: 38
Joined: Fri Mar 26, 2010 3:35 pm
Location: Boston, MA
Contact:

Re: Vegan substitutions for various

#7 Postby BlueRose » Wed Oct 05, 2011 12:00 pm

ForwardConcern wrote:I like the Wildwood Organic Plain Soy Yogurt.


Thanks!

Maybe that or the Silk sweetened with coconut oil?

There are some recipes that I like for good pre and post workout foods but some substitutions leave me head scratching.
rational romantic mystic cynical idealist.

Vegan Women's Bodybuilding & Fitness on FB: https://www.facebook.com/groups/1421637141388613/

Doing Les Mills Combat and loving it!
http://www.TeaAddictedGeek.com

User avatar
vegimator
Manatee
Posts: 472
Joined: Mon Jan 25, 2010 2:41 pm
Location: SF

Re: Vegan substitutions for various "health" foods

#8 Postby vegimator » Wed Oct 05, 2011 12:41 pm

There's a new coconut greek yogurt. Here's someone's review - http://chocolatecoveredkatie.com/2011/0 ... in-stores/

User avatar
BlueRose
Gorilla
Posts: 560
Age: 38
Joined: Fri Mar 26, 2010 3:35 pm
Location: Boston, MA
Contact:

Re: Vegan substitutions for various "health" foods

#9 Postby BlueRose » Wed Oct 05, 2011 12:48 pm

vegimator wrote:There's a new coconut greek yogurt. Here's someone's review - http://chocolatecoveredkatie.com/2011/0 ... in-stores/


Ooh! Brilliant!

Anything they can do, we can do better. ;)
rational romantic mystic cynical idealist.

Vegan Women's Bodybuilding & Fitness on FB: https://www.facebook.com/groups/1421637141388613/

Doing Les Mills Combat and loving it!
http://www.TeaAddictedGeek.com

User avatar
Fallen_Horse
Elephant
Posts: 2341
Joined: Mon Apr 28, 2008 12:10 pm
Location: Bakersfield, CA, USA
Contact:

Re: Vegan substitutions for various "health" foods

#10 Postby Fallen_Horse » Wed Oct 05, 2011 4:55 pm

BlueRose wrote:
Fallen_Horse wrote:There is no cottage cheese.[/img]


Well, duh. Did you read my question? Or the subject line?

Nutritional equivalent. *Equivalent*. What are these products claiming to have that can be replicated?

Thanks!


Perhaps my English wasn't clear enough. There is no nutritional equivalent to cottage cheese. A vegan food that's 70% complete protein (by calories)? Protein powders and TVP, and that's about it. TJ's high-protein tofu is close, at 60%.
Learning how to be compassionate, gain wisdom, and love life.

User avatar
BlueRose
Gorilla
Posts: 560
Age: 38
Joined: Fri Mar 26, 2010 3:35 pm
Location: Boston, MA
Contact:

Re: Vegan substitutions for various "health" foods

#11 Postby BlueRose » Wed Oct 05, 2011 5:02 pm

Fallen_Horse wrote:
BlueRose wrote:
Fallen_Horse wrote:There is no cottage cheese.[/img]


Well, duh. Did you read my question? Or the subject line?

Nutritional equivalent. *Equivalent*. What are these products claiming to have that can be replicated?

Thanks!


Perhaps my English wasn't clear enough. There is no nutritional equivalent to cottage cheese. A vegan food that's 70% complete protein (by calories)? Protein powders and TVP, and that's about it. TJ's high-protein tofu is close, at 60%.


Ah, gotcha. My guess was low fat and mild. Maybe lite silken tofu?
rational romantic mystic cynical idealist.

Vegan Women's Bodybuilding & Fitness on FB: https://www.facebook.com/groups/1421637141388613/

Doing Les Mills Combat and loving it!
http://www.TeaAddictedGeek.com

User avatar
ForwardConcern
Rabbit
Posts: 97
Joined: Sat Aug 06, 2011 8:19 pm
Location: Toronto
Contact:

Vegan substitutions for various "health" foods

#12 Postby ForwardConcern » Wed Oct 05, 2011 5:55 pm

Is Sheese any good?
- Think Forward, Be Concerned!

User avatar
BlueRose
Gorilla
Posts: 560
Age: 38
Joined: Fri Mar 26, 2010 3:35 pm
Location: Boston, MA
Contact:

Re: Vegan substitutions for various

#13 Postby BlueRose » Wed Oct 05, 2011 5:59 pm

ForwardConcern wrote:Is Sheese any good?


Love their solid smoked cheddar and their garlic and herb cream cheese! I get it from veganessentials.com.
rational romantic mystic cynical idealist.

Vegan Women's Bodybuilding & Fitness on FB: https://www.facebook.com/groups/1421637141388613/

Doing Les Mills Combat and loving it!
http://www.TeaAddictedGeek.com

karachifoods
Finch
Posts: 1
Joined: Fri Jan 06, 2012 5:49 am

Re: Vegan substitutions for various

#14 Postby karachifoods » Fri Jan 06, 2012 5:52 am

BlueRose wrote:
ForwardConcern wrote:Is Sheese any good?


Love their solid smoked cheddar and their garlic and herb cream cheese! I get it from veganessentials.com.

about what veganessentials belong?

User avatar
BlueRose
Gorilla
Posts: 560
Age: 38
Joined: Fri Mar 26, 2010 3:35 pm
Location: Boston, MA
Contact:

Re: Vegan substitutions for various

#15 Postby BlueRose » Fri Jan 06, 2012 6:06 am

karachifoods wrote:
BlueRose wrote:
ForwardConcern wrote:Is Sheese any good?


Love their solid smoked cheddar and their garlic and herb cream cheese! I get it from veganessentials.com.

about what veganessentials belong?


I'm sorry, what are you asking me?
rational romantic mystic cynical idealist.

Vegan Women's Bodybuilding & Fitness on FB: https://www.facebook.com/groups/1421637141388613/

Doing Les Mills Combat and loving it!
http://www.TeaAddictedGeek.com


Return to “Health & Nutrition Programs”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 4 guests