Carbs, too many!??

so live strong.com says I need 275g if I am 115 lbs [almost there!], & active.

but the high carbs are making me a bit ravenous, its awful. not only that but I experience glycemic symptoms like whoa after my breakfast [6 grain hot cereal, 1/2 banana, 1/4 cup blueberries, red star yeast, soy milk, chia seeds]

I should probably cut that banana out.

Its hard to get that protein intake I am finding without the carbs [i eat plenty of legumes], so I suppose I need to work on more tofu for protein.

it just seems if I cut down on carbs my calorie intake decreases too much.

ARG--still trying to find a true balance, I swear I'll find it one day.

I actually avoid soy, since it is a goitrogen and has estrogenic effects. The fruit causes too much glycation and messes with blood-sugar levels. Am working on perfecting a formulation for a low-GI vegan shake and bar to make up half of my diet. I also eat Explore Asian pasta with nutritional yeast; legumes and hummus on salad with nutritional yeast; and Ezekiel bread with Wilderness Poet hempspread or peanut butter.

It is indeed a challenging balance to find.

I actually avoid soy, since it is a goitrogen and has estrogenic effects. The fruit causes too much glycation and messes with blood-sugar levels. Am working on perfecting a formulation for a low-GI vegan shake and bar to make up half of my diet. I also eat Explore Asian pasta with nutritional yeast; legumes and hummus on salad with nutritional yeast; and Ezekiel bread with Wilderness Poet hempspread or peanut butter.

It is indeed a challenging balance to find.

Hm, Yea. I am trying the hot cereal tomorrow sans the blueberries at least.

turns out also, that my "tablespoon" I've been measuring my fat with was under on an actual measuring of a tablespoon, so I haven't been getting enough fat. eek, which is probably why I am still rumbly tummy right after eating.

I would love to see your intake on a daily basis, like what's in the shake and what bar?

I try not to eat too many processed things, especially bars & shakes, I am not against them, just haven't really tried them as a staple of food.

& yay for Ezekiel bread!

where do you get that pasta?

Why don't you try adding Hemp protein to your cereal in the morning. It's great low calorie/high protein. I mix mine in what a packet of Stevia on oateal. I also add it to my soy based protien shakes along with flax seed to an extra protein boost. I also like rice & pea protein mixes. They're another great high protein/low calories option. Another good idea would be to add handful of raw nuts and seeds to your daily snacks...great for healthy fats and protein....especially raw pumpkin seeds. I also like making green smoothies for a hugh nutritional kick: An example of one of my favorites: several kale leaves, cup of frozen strawberries, 1 scoop each of hemp, rice & pea protein, 2 tblsp each of ground flax seed & ground chia seeds and about 3-4 packet of Stevia and either water or organic almond milk depending on the amount of calories I want at that meal.

Why don't you try adding Hemp protein to your cereal in the morning. It's great low calorie/high protein. I mix mine in what a packet of Stevia on oateal. I also add it to my soy based protien shakes along with flax seed to an extra protein boost. I also like rice & pea protein mixes. They're another great high protein/low calories option. Another good idea would be to add handful of raw nuts and seeds to your daily snacks...great for healthy fats and protein....especially raw pumpkin seeds. I also like making green smoothies for a hugh nutritional kick: An example of one of my favorites: several kale leaves, cup of frozen strawberries, 1 scoop each of hemp, rice & pea protein, 2 tblsp each of ground flax seed & ground chia seeds and about 3-4 packet of Stevia and either water or organic almond milk depending on the amount of calories I want at that meal.

thanks!! I am tricky, I don't mind doing the more protein less carbs, although i don't want to get into that habit and effect my performance because i am into cycling, so I need more carbs for that. confusing! I know. :/

• 4 weeks later...

every cell uses glucose for energy as i understand it so you need to eat enough energy. my understanding is that very little protein actually gets converted to glucose even though it contains calories and its an energy intensive process anyway... so better to eat either carbs or fat as an energy source... and i lean towards carbs rather than fat because i get far more energy from eating carbs... and ketogenic diets are really bad for you in the long term average american eats equal amounts of fats vs carbs in terms of total calories, and they aren't too healthy, i think better to lower fat consumption to below 20% and increase carb consumption to above 65% the 80/10/10 crew recon should be at least 80% and there are a few bodybuilders amongst them but i recon they're stupid for mostly being marathon runners and whatnot because fat people don't feel attracted to being skinny they want to be big and muscly with low body fat

every cell uses glucose for energy as i understand it so you need to eat enough energy. my understanding is that very little protein actually gets converted to glucose even though it contains calories and its an energy intensive process anyway... so better to eat either carbs or fat as an energy source... and i lean towards carbs rather than fat because i get far more energy from eating carbs... and ketogenic diets are really bad for you in the long term average american eats equal amounts of fats vs carbs in terms of total calories, and they aren't too healthy, i think better to lower fat consumption to below 20% and increase carb consumption to above 65% the 80/10/10 crew recon should be at least 80% and there are a few bodybuilders amongst them but i recon they're stupid for mostly being marathon runners and whatnot because fat people don't feel attracted to being skinny they want to be big and muscly with low body fat

I dunno, I can't lower it much at all, it makes me foggy, and way too chilly after eating and during the day. And if I up he carbs too much I get a little ravenous and sometimes wake in the middle of the night with a pinching stomach pain, but I haven't figured out if that is from not enough calories during the day? Oi vey the body is a confusing machine.