Vegan Bodybuilding & Fitness

Healthy Food Defines You
It is currently Fri Dec 19, 2014 4:05 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: Re: Most nutritious veg?
PostPosted: Tue Nov 29, 2011 11:29 pm 
Rabbit

klaatu21 wrote:
I feel like my veg quotion is lacking some what in my diet, any suggestions? I eat plenty of good food other wise

I HIGHLY recommend making green smoothies everyday. They sound a little weird, but TRUST ME, they'll change your life and health forever. I don't know what I was doing before I started having green smoothies.
It's the easiest and most delicious way to get your serving of vegetables (greens) each day.
Here's a recipe from my blog http://rawfoodlove.blogspot.com/2011/11 ... reens.html
Keep in mind, there are literally endless variations. There's also a ton of books and websites out there on the subject of green smoothies.

They allow you to get a butt load of greens in everyday, without having to chew through 5 cups of spinach.
I also would tell you to eat lightly steamed broccoli; sauteed mushrooms, onions and garlic, root vegetables like beets, carrots and potatoes, and other colourful veggies like bell peppers. More colour = more antioxidants.
A key thing here is VARIETY. Yes, spinach or broccoli may be the most nutrient-dense, but you should add other foods as well so your body gets a balanced diet.
I noticed someone mentioned Brendan Brazier and his THRIVE books, read them! He talks a lot about green smoothies.

Another plus: they are the PERFECT post-workout food. Your body wants something easily digestible, and mostly carbs with protein (usually a 2:3 ratio or so). When you blend a bunch of greens with fruit, protein powder and water, you get just that. Your body can use that extra energy to regenerate and build new muscle instead of digesting that tofu burger.
If you don't like using protein powder, just add in some hemp and flax seeds.

Just in case you're worried: these smoothies taste great ;)

PostPosted: Tue Nov 29, 2011 11:38 pm 
Manatee

I second the suggestion of using a green drink. I've got a vitamix and make a whole foods organic veggie+fruit mix drink every night with spinach, OJ, an apple, a banana, a pear, dates, grapes, grape tomatoes, lemon, a handful from mixed vegetable packets usually containing broccoli, cauliflower, celery, onion, carrot. All organic.
On top of that I drink 2tblsp of vitamineral green in OJ in the morning, and 5 pills (2.5g) of chlorella at night. The extra chlorella (same amount in Vega breakfast) is to stay alkaline. If you eat too much acid in a day, your body drains calcium from your bones to stay pH 7.5. Lemon and watermelon are alternative methods for alkalizing (the lemon metabolizes alkaline) besides of course the highly chlorophyll concentrated chlorella. So I make sure to get some of that before my protein shake before sleep.
This clears up any vegetable/fruit requirements I might have in addition to the more 'fun' things to eat like fake meats and rice or pasta. It would take 30 minutes to eat all the vegetables and fruits without a vitamix!

PostPosted: Tue Nov 29, 2011 11:47 pm 
Elephant

Green smoothies FTW!

PostPosted: Wed Nov 30, 2011 4:26 am 
Manatee

wow thanks guys, makes so much sense, going to the market in a mo to stock up

PostPosted: Wed Nov 30, 2011 8:21 pm 
Rabbit

Yay! You'll get addicted to green smoothies in no time ;)

PostPosted: Thu Dec 01, 2011 11:18 am 
Manatee

just got back from raiding the local market, first green smoothie will be made just before kick boxing