Most nutritious veg?

klaatu21

chlorella = highest chlorophyll containing green food, also DNA, very regenerative and purifying, also very alkalizing which allows you to consume more protein

spirulina = lots of vitamins, minerals, beta carotene, GHA (only otherwise found in breast milk), colors, healthiness

broccoli = testosterone levels, to say the least

spinach = iron, calcium

i'd recommend getting vitamineral green from healthforce.com or veganessentials. it'll cover all your vitamins and minerals and basic vegetable needs. it also has enzymes, shilajit, and is totally amazing. it's this website's most popular green drink, i think.

on top of 2 tablespoons of that (VMG) in OJ as part of my breakfast, my main intake of vegetables comes from whole foods veggie packs from whole foods (with the black styrofoam bottom) which are about $5 per container, and usually include broccoli and cauliflower, onions celery carrots, or stir fry (string beans, green and red pepper, broccoli, zucchini).

i put about 1/3 of assorted vegetables from this source, add spinach, mixed fruits in a vitamix and share it with my family.

from vegan nutrition: plain and simple, i read that you get the jist of your vitamin and mineral needs from combining green and red or yellow vegetables. focus on making sure you get a variety of colors.

chlorella = highest chlorophyll containing green food, also DNA, very regenerative and purifying, also very alkalizing which allows you to consume more protein

spirulina = lots of vitamins, minerals, beta carotene, GHA (only otherwise found in breast milk), colors, healthiness

These rock. Chlorella is the less intense-tasting of the two and can be easily snuck into smoothies up to one teaspoonful before you will notice it. Mix both chlorella and spirulina into things rather than sprinkling them over the top because the deep green color isn't very sexy when it's stuck between your teeth. Don't ask me how I learned that one.

Spirulina has a mind-boggling amount of balanced protein (scroll down): http://nutritiondata.self.com/facts/vegetables-and-vegetable-products/2765/2

Chlorella is also protein-packed and has a bit of B-12, too: http://nutritiondata.self.com/facts/custom/569428/2

Baby Herc

yes i would recommend either getting chloressence pills (don't taste so bad)

or

mixing both chlorella and spirulina powders in OJ so it can pass across your tongue before settling. you WILL gag from spirulina! even with the OJ. but you will be able to get it down easily.

vitamineral green has smaller amounts of chlorella and spirulina in it, and is quite palatable. it'd be better to get about 2.5g of chlorella and 1-2 tblsp of spirulina, though.. definitely mix with OJ!

If you compare the amount of nutrients to 1 pill-shaped amount of chlorella to 1 huge piece of broccoli, you would be amazed. Technically chlorella and spirulina are sold as supplements but are whole foods and can be eaten in large amounts. They both come in pill or powder form and are taken in small doses but are vegetables that are highly dense in nutrients and kick normal vegetables butts. If you ground up a chlorella pill into water and ground up a pound of broccoli into another container the chlorella pill would probably be darker green..

so technically they are not supplements but conveniently get sold as them. they are not extracts or anything like that, and they are the full serving amount of them as a food source.

there's also a lot of nifty spirulina treats out there.. go raw! brand spirulina bars with banana and sunflower seeds, which taste like banana are good, and veganessentials has those as well as other such items. so does whole foods.

i have some go raw spirulina wafer things that are pretty good, little round neat coin shaped things.

there are some places on the web where you can order a massive amount (5 pounds or so) of spirulina for 50 bucksish. that's a couple months supply if you do 2 tblsp a day. used to be discussed on here.. would have to find it. healthforce.com has a spirulina but is more expensive.. that's sold on veganessentials as well. i've tried several different powders of that and it's all made me gag, so i'm confident that it isn't shipped to me badly (if you wonder the same thing after trying it).

so you may feel like you're supplementing because of how large the serving sizes are, but really you are getting more nutrients, more of a vegetable serving out of them. taken from brendan brazier, plants are basically vessels for the food to be contained in. if you reduce the containment amount to a powder form, it can seem like a small amount of food but really it's not. nutrient density is the priority.

I feel like my veg quotion is lacking some what in my diet, any suggestions? I eat plenty of good food other wise

I HIGHLY recommend making green smoothies everyday. They sound a little weird, but TRUST ME, they'll change your life and health forever. I don't know what I was doing before I started having green smoothies.

It's the easiest and most delicious way to get your serving of vegetables (greens) each day.

Here's a recipe from my blog http://rawfoodlove.blogspot.com/2011/11/green-ocean-of-life-i-greens.html

Keep in mind, there are literally endless variations. There's also a ton of books and websites out there on the subject of green smoothies.

They allow you to get a butt load of greens in everyday, without having to chew through 5 cups of spinach.

I also would tell you to eat lightly steamed broccoli; sauteed mushrooms, onions and garlic, root vegetables like beets, carrots and potatoes, and other colourful veggies like bell peppers. More colour = more antioxidants.

A key thing here is VARIETY. Yes, spinach or broccoli may be the most nutrient-dense, but you should add other foods as well so your body gets a balanced diet.

I noticed someone mentioned Brendan Brazier and his THRIVE books, read them! He talks a lot about green smoothies.

Another plus: they are the PERFECT post-workout food. Your body wants something easily digestible, and mostly carbs with protein (usually a 2:3 ratio or so). When you blend a bunch of greens with fruit, protein powder and water, you get just that. Your body can use that extra energy to regenerate and build new muscle instead of digesting that tofu burger.

If you don't like using protein powder, just add in some hemp and flax seeds.

Just in case you're worried: these smoothies taste great

I second the suggestion of using a green drink. I've got a vitamix and make a whole foods organic veggie+fruit mix drink every night with spinach, OJ, an apple, a banana, a pear, dates, grapes, grape tomatoes, lemon, a handful from mixed vegetable packets usually containing broccoli, cauliflower, celery, onion, carrot. All organic.

On top of that I drink 2tblsp of vitamineral green in OJ in the morning, and 5 pills (2.5g) of chlorella at night. The extra chlorella (same amount in Vega breakfast) is to stay alkaline. If you eat too much acid in a day, your body drains calcium from your bones to stay pH 7.5. Lemon and watermelon are alternative methods for alkalizing (the lemon metabolizes alkaline) besides of course the highly chlorophyll concentrated chlorella. So I make sure to get some of that before my protein shake before sleep.

This clears up any vegetable/fruit requirements I might have in addition to the more 'fun' things to eat like fake meats and rice or pasta. It would take 30 minutes to eat all the vegetables and fruits without a vitamix!