Soak your beans!!

So I used to be plagued with killer gas attacks after consuming my meals of black bean soup, hummus, red beans and rice, etc . . . Then I realized that the phytic acid in the beans made me unable to fully digest the beans. So now I soak all beans overnight in salted water. My digestion has been so happy, and the people around me as well!

There is a lot of discussion on the topic of soaking beans . . . so I will only be able to comment on my personal experience. I took a class on fermenting vegetables and cooking beans. The purpose of soaking with either Lactobacillus or salt was explained to me as a method of breaking down the phytic acid in beans, grains, and seeds. Since the most readily available source of Lactobacillus is yogurt, I opted for sea salt. I also like the flavor of soaked, salted beans. So, from personal experience, this method has really worked. Zero gas attacks after rice and beans after preparing these foods like this!

• 2 weeks later...

Since you guys are on the subject I won't have to start a whole new thread to ask this question!

I'm right now in the process of soaking some split peas in some baking soda. Given that they don't have to be soaked before cooking and become pretty mushy when cooked, how long do you soak them? I noticed in your article you stated that you did so I thought you might have experience with the split peas.

I don't mind them being "mushy" I guess, as that's basically what they became yesterday when I didn't soak them and just cooked them for their required time (kept checking them) of about 35 mins. I just don't want to do anything to take them "beyond mushy", if that's even possible.

Well nvm. I kinda figured out the best thing to do is soak them for a while in warm water with the baking soda, then drain and fill again. Let sit for a few minutes and watch the bubbles boil out. When they stop change the water again, rinse and repeat, rinse and repeat. lol

Now they're done cooking. Gotta go!