Best protein powder?

klaatu21

Casein digests much slower and will provide your body with a constant flow of nutrients for a longer amount of whey protein powder time.American was ranked one of the best tasting supplements on the market and is available in the choice of flavors.

Errr true... but it's made from milk. Ok if you're vegetarian, but I'm guessing he's after a vegan one!

I spent ages reading the fine print, comparing amino acid profiles and got way too obsessed with it I just had to take a step back! They're all pretty even, but a blend that uses protein from multiple plant sources seems to have a more balanced profile. I recommend Vega, which you can buy from the links on the main site. You can also get it from websites such as vitacost and iherb along with plenty of other vegan proteins to browse through. The store on bodybuilding.com has a plant protein section too.

Flavor-wise I've found anything with pea protein can go quite thick if you don't use enough water (this actually makes an awesome mousse!) and rice is very "dusty" feeling in the mouth. You can't drink them and expect them to taste AMAZING but with a little perseverance you adapt to the flavor. I love them now!

The ones I have tried are Vega - probably the best amino profile. Mixes quite thick, vanilla flavor is subtle, chocolate has a very rich cocoa flavor. Overall 9/10.

Nitrofusion - Pea/artichoke/amaranth/quinoa protein - same consistency as Vega, more of a subtle flavor in the chocolate. I'm a sweet tooth and found this one a little nicer with an extra teaspoon of stevia added. Overall 7/10

Sunwarrior - Rice protein. Once I got used to the chalky feeling, I actually really loved the tase of this one, and I have to say flavor wise it's been my favorite, doesn't get as thick as the others and the chocolate flavor is well balanced. I found the amino profile beat Vega on some singular amions, while it lacked in others. I give this an 8/10

The others I would be interested in trying are RAW protein (looks great, but the fact that it's unflavored scares me!) and Lifetime Basics Plant protein looks good too.

You might want to have a look on those websites, see what's out there and just try a few till you find one that suits you. You could also try emailing companies for samples.

Hope this helps a little, sorry it turned into a bit of a rant!

Sim

ive worked out a good amino profile from my food alone so i guess the answer is no longer valid haha

Thats great! If you still wanted one, I'd make a choice based in flavor in that case

If it's not rude of me asking, what does your diet look like? I'm just interested, and on the hunt for new ideas

Casein digests much slower and will provide your body with a constant flow of nutrients for a longer amount of whey protein powder time.American was ranked one of the best tasting supplements on the market and is available in the choice of flavors.

It's actually not necessary to have a constant flow of nutrients/meal timing isn't that important other than PWO and even that is debatable.

ive worked out a good amino profile from my food alone so i guess the answer is no longer valid haha

Thats great! If you still wanted one, I'd make a choice based in flavor in that case

If it's not rude of me asking, what does your diet look like? I'm just interested, and on the hunt for new ideas

I've posted my meal plan in another post if you want to check it out, I've only been on it a couple of days so I can't vouch for it yet

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 year later...

Really depends what you are looking for, I would personally forget high street brands, their main selling point is the tons of money they throw behind product launch and slick advertising. If you consider that Protein supplements are one of the top selling products in the health supplements sector.

I take a pea protein powder with 19g of protein per 28 g serving that is also enhanced with phytonutrients, and vitamins.

Considering the best protein in the non vegan department supplies 30g per serving (optimum nutrition) then 19g aint bad. http://www.novadetox.co.uk/acatalog/pea-protein-powder.html

Anyway thats my advice, If you mix with a little hemp thats cool, this actually tasts nice on its own. there is a detailed list of ingredients on the webpage i mentiond.

Anyway this is my first post here, i just found the forum by chance after doing a bit o research myself last week before I actually purchased this and thought I would leave a trail for the next person

• 3 years later...

When it comes to the BEST Vegan protein and one truly suitable for Body Builders and Extreme Athletes

most think of the obvious. Rice / Pea / Hemp / Soy .... Yet the bottom line is besides the grams per protein

what matters is the Bio Availability of protein isomers, and really free form high availability Amino Acids

and Amino Chain precursors. All the sources cited have protein, it needs to be broken down, and as most

of these sources need to be cooked during processing or when taken the protein is denatured and rendered

mostly useless.

I have used unheated / unbleached versions of the sources listed above yet, another issue comes to play

and is one that plagues Vegans and a criticism agains a vegan lifestyle. Iron deficiency and lack of a full

mineral intake including the highly needed trace minerals. Well here is where my secret protein source

is a true ACE!!! Chlorela and Spirulina.

Organic

Broken Cell

60% Protein by weight, and not just protein but Super Bio Available Amino chains

Full spectrum of most needed minerals

High Iron content

Omega and other fatty acid content needed for cell membrane / axonal coating (great reflexes / fast muscle action)

Best of all it's not cooked, chemically treated, or heat treated when desicated (well some see below)

I used to take a power and blended into shakes, but now take tablets. They dissolve and crumble for maximum

absorption, I take a handful with juice or other drink when I wake up, again at breakfast, and twice the dose after

a workout, again in mid afternoon and before bed. All in all I end up taking a few OZ a day very easily, and don't

have to deal with forcing myself to eat a vomit shake of densely slimy rice / pea powder that tastes the way it

looks... They go down supper easy, there is no regurgitating taste all day as with some other stuff...

and if you take it with a nice fresh vegy + fruit + fresh mink drink it's even a pleasure.

Guys it's a no brainer ! I'm not saying dump all other protein sources, no but you can have a more

balanced, definitely more enjoyable and EFFECTIVE diet by adding a couple of ounces of Chlorella / Spirullina

to your everyday schedule. If you're not a high demand athlete or body builder even easier just 15 500mg

tables will give you a supper boost because of the high availability amino acids, minerals, and besides

you are getting over 100% of your Iron in a natural high quality state. You can't build muscle if you're not

also producing a lot of new blood i.e. IRON

I buy one or two pounds at a time of this one http://www.ebay.com/itm/Organic-Sun-dried-Chlorella-Spirulina-1-2-Pound-500mg-broken-cell-wall-tablets-/111942417148?ssPageName=STRK:MESE:IT

because it's Organic, GMP quality, cell wall broken, and killer price (about 40% less than other vendors for same weight).

Best of all it's a 50/50 Chorela & Spirullna mix which is the way to go for all the Protein, Minerals, Iron, Omega and Chlorophyll

Add Tempeh, Seitan, and organic Soybean (Japanese / Korean) to round it out and you can definitely put on massive

muscle weight and power, without the cramps, and other weird symptoms people without the right mineral intake

and well insulated nerve fibers get (twitch, random painful contractions) etc.

give it a try, you won't regret

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Organic-Sun-dried-Chlorella-Spirulina-1-2-Pound-500mg-broken-cell-wall-tablets-/111942417148?ssPageName=STRK:MESE:IT http://i.ebayimg.com/images/g/0IAAAOSwvFZW7twZ/s-l500.jpg

• 3 weeks later...

Personally, I like the pea protein isolate, cranberry protein, rice protein combination in the Arbonne Chocolate Protein Mix. It's vegan and gluten free which is awesome. If you want to look at it, it's sold here:http://www.arbonne.com/Pws/KatherineManson/store/AMUS/product/Chocolate-Protein-Shake-Mix-Powder-US-2069,1475,272.aspx