Recommendation for Soy Protein?

All topics relating to health, diet, nutrition programs and any questions you might have about general health.

Moderators: Mini Forklift Ⓥ, C.O., Richard, robert, SyrLinus

an.duine.dorcha
Finch

Recommendation for Soy Protein?

#1 Postby an.duine.dorcha » Fri Dec 09, 2011 11:52 am

Something that tastes good... Is that so much to ask for? Haha. I cannot eat Vega if my life depended on it. I literally almost projectile vomited downing just half a scoop (albeit it was mixed with water). :vom: That being said, it needs to be decent with water, at least to the point I can swallow it....

chewybaws
Elephant

Re: Recommendation for Soy Protein?

#2 Postby chewybaws » Fri Dec 09, 2011 4:13 pm

Sun Warrior was the best tasting protein powder I've had but it's expensive. I also like http://www.hempnatural.com/Hemp-Protein-Powder-Strawberry-2500g.php that stuff but think they're UK based.

To be honest just now I'm just using up some plain Pea Protein I've got. I hate the taste but just get on with it.

Simi
Rabbit

#3 Postby Simi » Fri Dec 09, 2011 4:41 pm

I HATED protein powder when I started using it for the first time. But stick at it and you get used to it.
I remember detesting even Sunwarrior with water... Now I absolutely LOOOVE it! Definitely my favorite.
Just keep your expectations low - protein powder (especially plant protein with water only) is NEVER going to taste as good as a shake. They also tend to be a bit dusty/earthy feeling.
Maybe try adding a little extra cocoa, stevia or other natural flavoring to it to improve the taste. I've read that mesquite has a caramel-like flavor and is also high in protein (but I've never tried it.)
1 teaspoon of stevia is how I initially got used my Sunwarrior, but now I don't even need it ;)
Good luck on your search!

vegansludge
Manatee

#4 Postby vegansludge » Sat Dec 10, 2011 12:39 am

chewybaws wrote:To be honest just now I'm just using up some plain Pea Protein I've got. I hate the taste but just get on with it.

Mixing pea with brown rice is the best way to go about it. I'm currently using a 65/35 split and it's actually not terrible - I prefer it to the soy powder I was using beforehand.

Other than using Vega, which I've found to be the best pre-mixed powder on the market, I'd recommend checking out ordering a comparable split from either MyProtein or TrueProtein - both of which are vegan friendly and pretty good when you're strapped for cash.

If someone's really set on soy, though, both of those sites carry it. I just find the texture and taste to be rather bland and I already get a decent amount of soy protein eating TVP and drinking soy milk.
"When in doubt, squat and run hills." - Jim Wendler

IRON MNTN // LOG

Return to “Health & Nutrition Programs”