Vegan Bodybuilding & Fitness

Healthy Food Defines You
It is currently Sat Oct 25, 2014 4:31 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours




Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 9 posts ] 
Author Message
 Post subject: Macro nutrient ratio
PostPosted: Sun Dec 11, 2011 4:05 am 
Offline
Manatee

Joined: Sat Nov 12, 2011 4:20 pm
Posts: 321
Right so I'm getting fed up and close to quitting because I don't seem to be making any gains, but I'm sure as he'll no quitter, I train 3 times a week, for an hour a time and I train hard and consistent, I eat really well but don't count the calories so this is where I feel I'm going wrong, does any one know a good ratio of carbs/protein/fat I can start with and then tweak as the weeks go on to get the optimum balance and performance out of my food, I know how manycalories I need for a steady gain but will post that later as I'm at work right now, please help


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Macro nutrient ratio
PostPosted: Sun Dec 11, 2011 5:39 am 
Offline
Manatee

Joined: Sat Nov 12, 2011 4:20 pm
Posts: 321
I'm thinking 60/20/20 of carbs/protein fat on 2,500 calories gives me

375g carbs
125g protein
55.5g fat

And that works out at about 1.5g protein per lb as I'm 5'11 and 80kg

Or do I need more calories?


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Macro nutrient ratio
PostPosted: Sun Dec 11, 2011 6:16 am 
Offline
Manatee

Joined: Sat Nov 12, 2011 4:20 pm
Posts: 321
Just realised how low that is, my resting metabolic rate according to my lean mass is 3066 cal so should I aim for about 3300 cals a day? Will make it 15% protein if I go for 1.5g/lb


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Macro nutrient ratio
PostPosted: Mon Dec 12, 2011 4:49 pm 
Offline
Gorilla
User avatar

Joined: Sat Oct 08, 2011 11:10 am
Posts: 501
Location: Cleveland, OH
klaatu21 wrote:
Just realised how low that is, my resting metabolic rate according to my lean mass is 3066 cal so should I aim for about 3300 cals a day? Will make it 15% protein if I go for 1.5g/lb


I wouldn't worry about percents, per se. Setting your macro ratio is based upon what makes you feel better (i.e. what allows you to eat the kind of foods you actually enjoy) while also helping you reach your goals. Some people do better with a higher fat and lower carb ratio, others the opposite. See which one makes you feel better/eat the foods you enjoy more - just make sure you're getting a good amount of both day-in and day-out.

My personal recommendation is raising your fat a bit and lower carbs, especially if you have an issue with putting back a lot of food since you get more bang for your caloric buck with fats.

_________________
"When in doubt, squat and run hills." - Jim Wendler

IRON MNTN // LOG


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Macro nutrient ratio
PostPosted: Mon Dec 12, 2011 5:32 pm 
Offline
Manatee

Joined: Sat Nov 12, 2011 4:20 pm
Posts: 321
That is very true, I don't think I eat any where near enough fat, I'm only gonna start with percentages because I need regidity in what I do then when I'm used to it I'll be able to relax to a certain degree, purely because I've been eating what I feel is good and I've only seen tiny gains


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Macro nutrient ratio
PostPosted: Mon Dec 12, 2011 6:53 pm 
Offline
Gorilla
User avatar

Joined: Sat Oct 08, 2011 11:10 am
Posts: 501
Location: Cleveland, OH
klaatu21 wrote:
That is very true, I don't think I eat any where near enough fat, I'm only gonna start with percentages because I need regidity in what I do then when I'm used to it I'll be able to relax to a certain degree, purely because I've been eating what I feel is good and I've only seen tiny gains


Most definitely be rigid with tracking while you get used to it - you'll be amazed at how much you're not eating even if you think you're eating a lot. While it's a pain and an invest, getting a small food scale is also pretty handy because measuring cups and things of that nature aren't the most accurate for portion sizes (I recently found out that method had me overestimating my intake).

_________________
"When in doubt, squat and run hills." - Jim Wendler

IRON MNTN // LOG


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Macro nutrient ratio
PostPosted: Tue Dec 13, 2011 6:09 am 
Offline
Gorilla
User avatar

Joined: Mon Apr 11, 2011 5:44 am
Posts: 532
Location: Sunshine Coast, Queensland, Australia
vegansludge wrote:
klaatu21 wrote:
That is very true, I don't think I eat any where near enough fat, I'm only gonna start with percentages because I need regidity in what I do then when I'm used to it I'll be able to relax to a certain degree, purely because I've been eating what I feel is good and I've only seen tiny gains


Most definitely be rigid with tracking while you get used to it - you'll be amazed at how much you're not eating even if you think you're eating a lot. While it's a pain and an invest, getting a small food scale is also pretty handy because measuring cups and things of that nature aren't the most accurate for portion sizes (I recently found out that method had me overestimating my intake).



Yeah, I used to think I was eating 100 grams of oats for breakfast using my measuring cup, however it turned out I was actually eating around 120 grams, vegansludge is right, scales do come in handy!

_________________

"Obsessed is a word the lazy use to describe the dedicated." -Arnold


My Training Journal:


viewtopic.php?f=24&t=26321


Image


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Macro nutrient ratio
PostPosted: Tue Dec 13, 2011 12:00 pm 
Offline
Manatee

Joined: Sat Nov 12, 2011 4:20 pm
Posts: 321
Right as soon as I finish work tonight I'm gonna sit down and work out the lot, preparation is key


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Macro nutrient ratio
PostPosted: Tue Dec 13, 2011 7:40 pm 
Offline
Manatee

Joined: Sat Nov 12, 2011 4:20 pm
Posts: 321
check out my other post to see the plan


Top
 Profile  
 
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 9 posts ] 

All times are UTC - 5 hours


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot post attachments in this forum

Search for:
Jump to:  



{ ASACP_CREDITS }
{ ASACP_CREDITS }
{ ASACP_CREDITS } Powered by phpBB © 2000, 2002, 2005, 2007 phpBB Group