Good training diet?

Scobra

Hey-oh! Come Jan I will be doing some intense training to get ready for the mudder in May. Currently I'm trying my hardest to stay above 170. I would like to reach 180 by summer time, but don't know what I should do for this race. Do I consume all the quality calories I can and go for 180? Do I gain for 3 months then cut for 1? Anyone who has any sort of race or diet tips for my sort of situation please help.

What is a 'mudder' in May?

And what do the numbers 170 and 180 mean? I was just going to assume weight (but why would you want to gain weight for a race?), but since I see the word race, maybe they are minutes for a marathon or something.

Hey-oh! Come Jan I will be doing some intense training to get ready for the mudder in May. Currently I'm trying my hardest to stay above 170. I would like to reach 180 by summer time, but don't know what I should do for this race. Do I consume all the quality calories I can and go for 180? Do I gain for 3 months then cut for 1? Anyone who has any sort of race or diet tips for my sort of situation please help.

Find your maintenance calorie needs. Increase them by 20%, getting 1-1.5g of protein per pound of body weight; get the rest of your calories from a ratio of fat:carbohydrate that keeps you satisfied and sane. Lift heavy. Do that until the race.

If you're worried about putting on too much during that time you could always gain for three months, do a mini-cut for two weeks, and then eat at your maintenance for the two weeks leading up to Mudder - because if you go into Mudder straight off a cut, you're going to be weak (since you're eating at a deficit).

What is a 'mudder' in May?

And what do the numbers 170 and 180 mean? I was just going to assume weight (but why would you want to gain weight for a race?), but since I see the word race, maybe they are minutes for a marathon or something.

The race is called Tough Mudder and the one I'm attending is in May. Yeah, the numbers I was referring to is my weight. I really want to gain more muscle mass as just an overall goal so I would like to be around 180 by May.

Find your maintenance calorie needs. Increase them by 20%, getting 1-1.5g of protein per pound of body weight; get the rest of your calories from a ratio of fat:carbohydrate that keeps you satisfied and sane. Lift heavy. Do that until the race.

If you're worried about putting on too much during that time you could always gain for three months, do a mini-cut for two weeks, and then eat at your maintenance for the two weeks leading up to Mudder - because if you go into Mudder straight off a cut, you're going to be weak (since you're eating at a deficit).

Thank you for your insight! I will plan my diet accordingly. Now I am just hoping I can get enough all the running I need in and try to gain/ maintain without losing any weight.