Question about Sprouting Lentils

HorseSense

I've been reading about sprouting lentils and I just bought some today. It seems pretty straight forward and simple, in fact for me it would be much better than cooking. One of the best benefits (for me) of eating raw is not having to cook! I hate cooking. It would actually be more simple for me to sprout than cook.

That being said, I have a couple questions. How does this change the lentils nutritionally? I read it makes the protein 'more complete', not that they have too shabby a protein profile to start with. I've read they also lose all the bad qualities (phytogens?) and even lose their enzyme inhibitors which makes digestion better?

ONE other question. Is this going to be something that tastes ok? I have no idea what to expect!

I am pretty adaptable I find when it comes to raw plant eating. So I'm not was concerned about that. But if it's too "strong" a taste I'll not be able to do it.

Any help on this would be greatly appreciated! Thanks!

David

David, the taste becomes more starchy and crunchy, like a lentil-flavored water chestnut, and because it expands with moisture as it sprouts, there is less protein per cup of lentils. But it feels better to eat and I don't want to take a nap after eating sprouted lentils like I do after cooked ones. A real simple recipe is to add a dash of salt, cumin, and hot pepper flakes to a cup of sprouted lentils and toss them in a drizzle of oil. Then, just eat them with a spoon or wrap them up like a tortilla in a Romaine lettuce leaf.

Compare calories, protein, and vitamin C in the two:

....cooked lentils: http://nutritiondata.self.com/facts/legumes-and-legume-products/4338/2

....sprouted lentils: http://nutritiondata.self.com/facts/vegetables-and-vegetable-products/2472/2

Baby Herc

Edited by Baby Hercules