Vegan Bodybuilding & Fitness

Healthy Food Defines You
It is currently Wed Oct 01, 2014 11:37 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: how do I NOT bulk up and be muscular?
PostPosted: Sat Dec 24, 2011 6:39 am 
Manatee

Nicholas_Weir wrote:
Believe it or not, reps between 10 and 15 are in what is considered the 'hypertrophy' zone. This area of reps induces muscle production/synthesis. as you are damaging the muscles whereas, lower reps 3-6, sometimes 3-8 are focusing more on increasing your strength and overall power. This puts more stress on your CNS as opposed to your actual muscles.

Can you link to studies that prove a hypertrophy zone?

Facebook - Add me

Post subject: Re: how do I NOT bulk up and be muscular?
PostPosted: Sat Dec 24, 2011 7:56 am 
Gorilla

itsjustrobbieok wrote:
Nicholas_Weir wrote:
Believe it or not, reps between 10 and 15 are in what is considered the 'hypertrophy' zone. This area of reps induces muscle production/synthesis. as you are damaging the muscles whereas, lower reps 3-6, sometimes 3-8 are focusing more on increasing your strength and overall power. This puts more stress on your CNS as opposed to your actual muscles.

http://www.bodyrecomposition.com/training/periodization-for-bodybuilders-part-2.html

"Obsessed is a word the lazy use to describe the dedicated." -Arnold

My Training Journal:

viewtopic.php?f=24&t=26321

PostPosted: Sat Dec 24, 2011 9:05 am 
Manatee

Nicholas_Weir wrote:
itsjustrobbieok wrote:
Nicholas_Weir wrote:

http://www.bodyrecomposition.com/training/periodization-for-bodybuilders-part-2.html

Thats not a study though is it? Just one persons theory?

Facebook - Add me

PostPosted: Sat Dec 24, 2011 9:22 am 
Gorilla

itsjustrobbieok wrote:

Thats not a study though is it? Just one persons theory?

Here:

http://www.exercisebiology.com/index.php/site/articles/are_low_reps_1-6_better_than_high_reps_8-12_for_muscle_growth/

No link to this ones source:

http://www.trainwiser.com/f109/sarcoplasmic-hypertrophy-rep-range-5284/

"Obsessed is a word the lazy use to describe the dedicated." -Arnold

My Training Journal:

viewtopic.php?f=24&t=26321

PostPosted: Sat Dec 24, 2011 9:32 am 
Manatee

Nicholas_Weir wrote:

Ummmm that one says there is no difference!!

Facebook - Add me

PostPosted: Sat Dec 24, 2011 10:40 am 
Rabbit

As I'm trying to make sense of all this info I still am very confused....to get leaner muscles in my arms instead of bulky I should do more reps with light weights or less with heavy? Sorry I'm really new to all of this, I've only done aerobic type exercises and just recently bought some 3 lbs weights wondering if that would help.

Thanks for your help! It's a dream of mine to eventually post an "after" picture, I can't tell you how much it would mean to me.

Just as an interesting side note my 7 year old son seems to have the same build as me if not more pronounced. This is him last week with santa, no santa is not a small man my son is huge! He is 4'3" and 83 pounds. I have to buy teen pants and cut a foot off the bottom because I can't find pants to fit him. He has huge thigh muscles, even pecks and is super solid. When I bring him to the doctor they like to joke that he's going to be a football player for sure. He's much bigger than all the children in his class and I am grateful that he is a gentle giant because when he gets to rough playing I think he will hurt the other children. Lucky for him he's a boy and won't feel odd like me.

also I forgot to mention he was born vegan and is vegan now. That pretty much blows the scrawny vegan theory doesn't it!!

PostPosted: Sat Dec 24, 2011 10:52 am 
Manatee

Weight loss is all about diet. Why not post up your stats and diet and we can go from there!

Facebook - Add me

PostPosted: Sat Dec 24, 2011 11:18 am 
Elephant

chrisdazed wrote:
to get leaner muscles in my arms instead of bulky I should do more reps with light weights or less with heavy?

In a nutshell, doing a lot of reps with light weights will make you strong-ish and lean. Doing few reps with very heavy weights will make you very strong but not as bulky as a bodybuilder. Doing a mid-range number of reps with weights about 50-75% of what you can lift comfortably will increase the size of your muscles. This is a general rule only and varies from person to person, body to body. The number of reps will vary from person to person as well within the three weight lifting types above. Because you have an original body type, it's best to experiment rather than just do what they say "women" should do. Think of your muscles as muscles, not female or male.

That's one of the bigger payoffs of weight training: it trains you to pay attention to what your body is telling you. Well, if you're listening. Not all do. But you will have a much richer experience, happier and easier, if you move forward at your own pace, check in with your body at all times, and practice taking pleasure from the activity, not the results. The results will come, anyway. But if you're enjoying the whole experience, your mood won't be tied to the scale or the mirror, you'll just be looking forward to the next time you get to go to the gym because it feels so good.

My experience has been that taking on one or two things at a time until they are habit is the best way to go. Don't worry about overhauling your entire diet, exercise regimen, and attitude overnight. Pick a few things you can do now without strain and do them until they feel natural, then add some more things. For instance, learn half a dozen moves you can do with your 3# weights and get a little program going that you can do in fifteen minutes. Practice doing it in such a way that it feels good so you don't dread doing it. Maybe add a half hour walk or hike on the end of it. Treat yourself afterwards with a vegan protein smoothie, maybe a slightly different recipe each week. Top it all off with some visualization exercises, like imagining the clothes you are looking forward to wearing or seeing yourself doing a sport you've always wanted to try or pretending that a whole bunch of people who haven't seen you in a while are coming up and complimenting you and asking what you've been doing to look so good. That's a five-minute exercise you can do standing in line at Safeway. Better for the soul than perusing the covers of those tabloids, anyway.

:wink:

Your son is a cutie. I'll bet he gives awesome hugs. All the lovable big guys give awesome hugs. :heart:

Baby Herc

Smarts [][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][]
http://allthoughtsworkoutdoors.wordpress.com/

PostPosted: Sat Dec 24, 2011 11:51 am 
Manatee

Nicholas_Weir wrote:

In saying this, it does slightly differ for each individual, as each individual is unique and each individual responds accordingly.

Eating plays a major part too. (If you are in a deficit, you won't gain weight, if you are in a surplus, then you will gain weight, (this is base science).

Although, again, this is slightly different if you arent 'lean' in a sense. If you have excess or unwanted weight and you are still in a defitcit, you may gain some muscle despit being in a deficit (as your body is recomposing itself, rather than just cutting). Recomposing is a combination of both fat loss and muscle gain.

Yea, I should have specified. I meant reps beyond that. I'm currently training in the 15 rep range myself and I always gain a little in that range.

I meant more in the 20-30 rep range with light weights.

But if you're only interested in losing weight and not interested in toned muscle, I would skip the weights altogether and just do exercise/cardio with a maintenance diet.

PostPosted: Sat Dec 24, 2011 12:49 pm 
Elephant

Nicholas_Weir wrote:
Eating plays a major part too. (If you are in a deficit, you won't gain weight, if you are in a surplus, then you will gain weight, (this is base science).

Not quite. There are numerous physical conditions that actually defy this rule rather powerfully. I have intimate experience with one of them: hypothyroidism. You see, it's not as simple as energy in, energy out. There are endless chemical processes that take place in your body the second food passes your lips and all of them must work correctly for you to actually benefit from the food you eat. If even one of those processes is out of whack, the whole system can tumble and the body can suffer.

Most people are blissfully unaware of the elegant biological firestorm that's activated by eating because it's working okay for them. But some of us get a painful wake up call. Some people's stomachs don't break the food down well enough, others can't absorb the food from their intestines in an efficient manner (talk to CellarYeti in here, he's got a ton of information on this one), still others can absorb the food but they can't eliminate wastes correctly so all their bodily energy is spent fighting illnesses created by a build up of toxins in their bloodstream.

The most sneaky and annoying stage for things to go wrong is at the cellular level. It's the cells of your body that you're eating for and they receive the benefit of it by allowing nutrients to pass through their cellular membranes to be processed in their mitochondria and other organelles. If they aren't absorbing, you aren't taking in energy. You may be eating but you aren't receiving the benefit. The energy just moves around the body until either several types of immune system cells destroy it as imposters or fat cells take it in and store it. So, you can eat and eat, receive no energy from it, starve on a cellular level while all your organs suffer (including your brain, which needs lots of energy), and still put on fat.

That is exactly what happens in hypothyroidism and it is a living hell. A (not)fun fact about hypothyroidism: it can hit you in degrees. You can have a mild form of it, it's not all or nothing, and doctors miss most of the mild cases. I was lucky enough to be the type who never gives up and after doing years of my own research and experimentation, I figured out which stressors were causing my cells to reject nutrients. I reversed it and have been healthy ever since.

Are you ready for the kicker? The cellular level is where most diseases begin. You start with some sort of stress, usually mental, it puts pressure on your cells, they buckle after a while and manifest a disease or condition, and then a doctor tosses MORE stress at your body in the form of drugs or cutting into you. The whole mess can be put to rest if the person simply addressed and eliminated the original stress months--or decades--ago.

I'd like to start a movement wherein people stop bragging about how much they suffer more than the next guy and instead clap for one another when each one of us wins. My god, the hospitals would be so empty, they'd have to come up with new diseases and new drug treatments just to keep the revenue flowing in. Oh, wait a minute....

Baby Herc

Last edited by Baby Hercules on Sat Dec 24, 2011 2:41 pm, edited 4 times in total.

PostPosted: Sat Dec 24, 2011 12:51 pm 
Rabbit

Baby Hercules wrote:
chrisdazed wrote:
to get leaner muscles in my arms instead of bulky I should do more reps with light weights or less with heavy?

In a nutshell, doing a lot of reps with light weights will make you strong-ish and lean. Doing few reps with very heavy weights will make you very strong but not as bulky as a bodybuilder. Doing a mid-range number of reps with weights about 50-75% of what you can lift comfortably will increase the size of your muscles. This is a general rule only and varies from person to person, body to body. The number of reps will vary from person to person as well within the three weight lifting types above. Because you have an original body type, it's best to experiment rather than just do what they say "women" should do. Think of your muscles as muscles, not female or male.

That's one of the bigger payoffs of weight training: it trains you to pay attention to what your body is telling you. Well, if you're listening. Not all do. But you will have a much richer experience, happier and easier, if you move forward at your own pace, check in with your body at all times, and practice taking pleasure from the activity, not the results. The results will come, anyway. But if you're enjoying the whole experience, your mood won't be tied to the scale or the mirror, you'll just be looking forward to the next time you get to go to the gym because it feels so good.

My experience has been that taking on one or two things at a time until they are habit is the best way to go. Don't worry about overhauling your entire diet, exercise regimen, and attitude overnight. Pick a few things you can do now without strain and do them until they feel natural, then add some more things. For instance, learn half a dozen moves you can do with your 3# weights and get a little program going that you can do in fifteen minutes. Practice doing it in such a way that it feels good so you don't dread doing it. Maybe add a half hour walk or hike on the end of it. Treat yourself afterwards with a vegan protein smoothie, maybe a slightly different recipe each week. Top it all off with some visualization exercises, like imagining the clothes you are looking forward to wearing or seeing yourself doing a sport you've always wanted to try or pretending that a whole bunch of people who haven't seen you in a while are coming up and complimenting you and asking what you've been doing to look so good. That's a five-minute exercise you can do standing in line at Safeway. Better for the soul than perusing the covers of those tabloids, anyway.

:wink:

Your son is a cutie. I'll bet he gives awesome hugs. All the lovable big guys give awesome hugs. :heart:

Baby Herc

Thanks! this helps a lot and I'm going to do that,
and Yes my boy's a hugger! Such a momma's boy too LOL

PostPosted: Sat Dec 24, 2011 12:56 pm 
Elephant

itsjustrobbieok wrote:

Robbie, your fingers seem to be working fine, why don't you do a little research on the net and see what you can find? If you're truly interested in learning, it'll be fun.

Baby Herc

PostPosted: Sat Dec 24, 2011 3:48 pm 
Manatee

Baby Hercules wrote:
itsjustrobbieok wrote:

Robbie, your fingers seem to be working fine, why don't you do a little research on the net and see what you can find? If you're truly interested in learning, it'll be fun.

Baby Herc

Errr how about no! If someone wants to make a claim then I'd like to see something to back it up. Too many people spout truths on forums that they have heard from a PT or read on a website that are just plain wrong. How many times have you read that frequent meals is best for metabolising food for example.

I'm not trying to be obtuse, just give the original poster facts.

Facebook - Add me

PostPosted: Sat Dec 24, 2011 4:11 pm 
Elephant

itsjustrobbieok wrote:
How many times have you read that frequent meals is best for metabolising food for example.

Frequent meals are best for metabolizing food. I didn't just read it, I do it. When I can reproduce a scientific claim in my own experience that's true enough for me.

It's not on the teacher to educate, it's on the student to learn. You get to be as smart as you want to be.

Baby Herc

PostPosted: Sat Dec 24, 2011 4:31 pm 
Manatee

vegansludge wrote:
And, HorseSense, as someone who has studied Sexuality/Sexual Orientation pretty intensely - I completely agree with everything you said and there's a ton of research to back that up.

Cool! It's not something frequently talked about (much less researched) so it's good to know some understand the complexities of the human form.