Who relies on grains as a staple diet or for their protein?

All topics relating to health, diet, nutrition programs and any questions you might have about general health.

Moderators: Mini Forklift Ⓥ, C.O., Richard, robert, SyrLinus

DevilsAdvocate?
Rabbit

Who relies on grains as a staple diet or for their protein?

#1 Postby DevilsAdvocate? » Wed Dec 28, 2011 4:00 am

Long story short, this review says that grains reek havoc on your body. Humans simply haven't evolved to eat them. Does it say anything about this in Roberts book? http://www.beyondveg.com/cordain-l/grai ... shtml#late role

viciousvixenx
Rabbit

Re: Who relies on grains as a staple diet or for their prote

#2 Postby viciousvixenx » Thu Dec 29, 2011 1:11 pm

Sounds like you have been learning from the Paleo Diet. I suggest you go on youtube and look up the Primitive Nutrition channel and start there for some information.

viciousvixenx
Rabbit

#3 Postby viciousvixenx » Thu Dec 29, 2011 1:24 pm

Grape Nuts
Rabbit

#4 Postby Grape Nuts » Thu Dec 29, 2011 1:35 pm

For me stopping grains, wheat in particular, has made losing fat and gaining muscle easier than I ever thought it could be. Have been veg since 94, vegan since 04. I ate loads of grains for many years. After quitting grains my exercise seems a lot less in vain, I get results daily now. Six months ago I went on a cardio terror and lost 10 lbs with a lot of effort. 3 months ago I quit grains, slowed WAY DOWN on the cardio and have lost another 20 lbs. Ten or so more lbs of tough flab and I will be where I have always wanted but never thought possible. Then any muscles gains will be very obvious (and motivating). I stumbled onto the grain/flab relationship when I started an anti-candida diet in support of my wife. Then I read "Wheat Belly". I don't see how I can ever go back to grain now.

Baby Hercules
Elephant

#5 Postby Baby Hercules » Thu Dec 29, 2011 2:44 pm

I've been eating sprouted grains nearly every day and thriving. I love my oat groats muesli!

Baby Herc
Power [][][][][][][][][][]
Speed [][]
Stamina [][][][][][]
Smarts [][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][]
http://allthoughtsworkoutdoors.wordpress.com/

superman1234
Rabbit

#6 Postby superman1234 » Thu Dec 29, 2011 6:36 pm

I use grains primarily to make a complete protein:

whole wheat + peanut butter
whole wheat gluten + almonds
brown rice + unhulled sesame seeds

etc

DevilsAdvocate?
Rabbit

#7 Postby DevilsAdvocate? » Sat Dec 31, 2011 10:34 am

Serious ix of information now. Surely It cant hurt to avoid some grains. Im definitely of the body type which is fairly muscular but I struggle to loose the last 10% bodyfat

beforewisdom
Stegosaurus

#8 Postby beforewisdom » Sat Dec 31, 2011 2:15 pm

DevilsAdvocate? wrote:Long story short, this review says that grains reek havoc on your body. Humans simply haven't evolved to eat them. Does it say anything about this in Roberts book? http://www.beyondveg.com/cordain-l/grai ... shtml#late role

Aside from about 2 years in college, I've been a vegetarian for over 30 years. After the first year I read "Diet For A Small Planet" by Frances Moore-Lappe. Since then I have eaten grains every single day of my life and more than once a day. Whole grain & legume combinations have been the staple of my diet for the majority of my life. My health is excellent.

Outside of celiac and allergy sufferers I don't see anything wrong with grain. People have been using grain as a staple for most of human history and I have for most of my life so people telling those tales will have a hard time convincing me.

"The plural of anecdote is not data." (Roger Brinner)

Duncan_Idaho
Manatee

#9 Postby Duncan_Idaho » Sat Dec 31, 2011 3:25 pm

I get protein from fruit! Happy new year :)
Into the fire with your soul!

Nicholas_Weir
Gorilla

#10 Postby Nicholas_Weir » Sat Jan 07, 2012 8:08 am

Yeah, people have eaten bread for thousands of years. Proper bread (i.e. flour, water, a littlle salt and nothing else in the mix). Fruit is the best source of carbs,energy and protein for humans though, however grains come in second place.

"Obsessed is a word the lazy use to describe the dedicated." -Arnold

My Training Journal:

viewtopic.php?f=24&t=26321

Iron Clad Ben
Manatee

#11 Postby Iron Clad Ben » Sat Jan 07, 2012 5:40 pm

Check out the book "Grain Damage" by Dr. Doug Graham (author of 80/10/10 Diet). You won't want to eat them again.

Grape Nuts
Rabbit

#12 Postby Grape Nuts » Thu Mar 08, 2012 7:13 am

beforewisdom wrote:
DevilsAdvocate? wrote:Long story short, this review says that grains reek havoc on your body. Humans simply haven't evolved to eat them. Does it say anything about this in Roberts book? http://www.beyondveg.com/cordain-l/grai ... shtml#late role

Aside from about 2 years in college, I've been a vegetarian for over 30 years. After the first year I read "Diet For A Small Planet" by Frances Moore-Lappe. Since then I have eaten grains every single day of my life and more than once a day. Whole grain & legume combinations have been the staple of my diet for the majority of my life. My health is excellent.

Outside of celiac and allergy sufferers I don't see anything wrong with grain. People have been using grain as a staple for most of human history and I have for most of my life so people telling those tales will have a hard time convincing me.

I would be curious to know what your BF% has been for those 30 years. Has it dropped? Steadily increased? Leveled out? I was a grain freak too for many years. Can't stress enough how stopping has melted away the fat. I do miss grains, but not the fat that hung around. I am sure it is different for different people but the wife is still dropping as well...

veghead25
Rabbit

#13 Postby veghead25 » Thu Mar 08, 2012 5:38 pm

I recently started eating whole grain pasta thinking it would be healthier than regular pasta. Was I wrong. I started experiencing pounding headaches and whole body tremors.

Eat them if you can tolerate phytic acid.
On vacation.

Grape Nuts
Rabbit

#14 Postby Grape Nuts » Thu Mar 08, 2012 6:35 pm

veghead25 wrote:I recently started eating whole grain pasta thinking it would be healthier than regular pasta. Was I wrong. I started experiencing pounding headaches and whole body tremors.

Eat them if you can tolerate phytic acid.

Is that why I had headaches every day for 4o years and they stopped when I quit eating wheat? Hmm. I gotta google phytic acid now...

veghead25
Rabbit

#15 Postby veghead25 » Thu Mar 08, 2012 7:06 pm

Grape Nuts wrote:Is that why I had headaches every day for 4o years and they stopped when I quit eating wheat? Hmm. I gotta google phytic acid now...

There isn't really any in regular pasta and white rice.

Be careful not to fall into the mark sisson trap when searching for phytic acid. :wink:
On vacation.

Return to “Health & Nutrition Programs”