Who relies on grains as a staple diet or for their protein?

For me stopping grains, wheat in particular, has made losing fat and gaining muscle easier than I ever thought it could be. Have been veg since 94, vegan since 04. I ate loads of grains for many years. After quitting grains my exercise seems a lot less in vain, I get results daily now. Six months ago I went on a cardio terror and lost 10 lbs with a lot of effort. 3 months ago I quit grains, slowed WAY DOWN on the cardio and have lost another 20 lbs. Ten or so more lbs of tough flab and I will be where I have always wanted but never thought possible. Then any muscles gains will be very obvious (and motivating). I stumbled onto the grain/flab relationship when I started an anti-candida diet in support of my wife. Then I read "Wheat Belly". I don't see how I can ever go back to grain now.

Long story short, this review says that grains reek havoc on your body. Humans simply haven't evolved to eat them. Does it say anything about this in Roberts book? http://www.beyondveg.com/cordain-l/grains-leg/grains-legumes-1a.shtml#late role

Aside from about 2 years in college, I've been a vegetarian for over 30 years. After the first year I read "Diet For A Small Planet" by Frances Moore-Lappe. Since then I have eaten grains every single day of my life and more than once a day. Whole grain & legume combinations have been the staple of my diet for the majority of my life. My health is excellent.

Outside of celiac and allergy sufferers I don't see anything wrong with grain. People have been using grain as a staple for most of human history and I have for most of my life so people telling those tales will have a hard time convincing me.

• 2 months later...
Long story short, this review says that grains reek havoc on your body. Humans simply haven't evolved to eat them. Does it say anything about this in Roberts book? http://www.beyondveg.com/cordain-l/grains-leg/grains-legumes-1a.shtml#late role

Aside from about 2 years in college, I've been a vegetarian for over 30 years. After the first year I read "Diet For A Small Planet" by Frances Moore-Lappe. Since then I have eaten grains every single day of my life and more than once a day. Whole grain & legume combinations have been the staple of my diet for the majority of my life. My health is excellent.

Outside of celiac and allergy sufferers I don't see anything wrong with grain. People have been using grain as a staple for most of human history and I have for most of my life so people telling those tales will have a hard time convincing me.

I would be curious to know what your BF% has been for those 30 years. Has it dropped? Steadily increased? Leveled out? I was a grain freak too for many years. Can't stress enough how stopping has melted away the fat. I do miss grains, but not the fat that hung around. I am sure it is different for different people but the wife is still dropping as well...

I recently started eating whole grain pasta thinking it would be healthier than regular pasta. Was I wrong. I started experiencing pounding headaches and whole body tremors.

Eat them if you can tolerate phytic acid.

Is that why I had headaches every day for 4o years and they stopped when I quit eating wheat? Hmm. I gotta google phytic acid now...

Is that why I had headaches every day for 4o years and they stopped when I quit eating wheat? Hmm. I gotta google phytic acid now...

There isn't really any in regular pasta and white rice.

Be careful not to fall into the mark sisson trap when searching for phytic acid.

There isn't really any in regular pasta and white rice.

Be careful not to fall into the mark sisson trap when searching for phytic acid.

Is it a good or bad trap? The guy looks in great shape.

Is it a good or bad trap? The guy looks in great shape.

He looks great because he gets his Vitamin D, lives in California and is dedicated.

From understanding metabolism, I would say a bad trap because he is promoting what atkins promoted, minus the greasy foods. He advocates a low carb/high fat diet and this type of mentality is extreme left like fruitarians are extreme right with their high carb/low fat diet.

Basically on low carb diets, the body burns fat as fuel instead of Glucose however this can only happen when eating below 30-60g of carbs per day since Glucose inhibits fat metabolism. Low carb diets are obviously not Vegan.

Balance is key when eating.

Here is an interesting article that you might enjoy reading.

http://www.raw-food-health.net/Primal-Diet.html

Yes I think I have 8 of them. Mercury?

"Phytic Acid is a strong chelator of heavy metals."

I have 4 amalgam fillings and I'm thinking the phytic acid was pulling the mercury out of my brain but this is just a theory.

Balance is key when eating.

+1

I was a little afraid to go back to anything "starchy" like pasta or rice after losing so much weight after eating mostly legumes and fruit but I have been incorporating more and more this into my diet again to compliment the pea protein I'm taking now and I have to say I'm still gaining muscle (which I'm now focusing on instead of "just" losing fat) and I'm STILL losing around my waist.

I was 191 when I joined this forum. When I got down to 175 I didn't think I'd get lower and started the muscle bulking again. While gaining muscle mass I continued to lose around my waist down to 170 and maintained that for a little while. Recently incorporating grains back into my diet has resulted in another 2 lbs off the scale to 168 lbs and more OFF of my waist!

For me, it was milk products. I'll never got back to anything from an animal.

• 2 weeks later...
I've been eating sprouted grains nearly every day and thriving. I love my oat groats muesli!

My super easy recipe for Sweet Oat Groats Muesli:

Put 1/3 cup raw oat grouts in a clean glass jar and fill half way with water. Leave top off. Soak for 24 hours somewhere away from heat.

Strain out and refill water several times to wash groats, then pour drained groats into your bowl.

Add 1 T. raw almond butter, 1 T. raw agave syrup, and 1 T. melted coconut oil and mix very well.

Stir in 1/4 teaspoon cinnamon and 1/8 teaspoon sea salt (lends that delicious sweet-n-salty taste).

Add 1/8 cup Thompson raisins and chew.

This is a sensational breakfast with an apple and a glass of water (dried apples right in the muesli) if you've got a morning of hard labor ahead of you--it's got around 10g of protein. Keeps you full and energized for hiking, too. I usually double all the ingredients other than the grouts because I like flavors intense but I can't finish it all in one sitting, I usually graze on it for half an hour or so with my coffee and, later, a glass of water. You can add dashes of maca, chlorella, flax, hemp protein powder, etc. to suit your dietary desires or some chopped almonds for crunch.

Chewing mine right now...nom, nom nom....

Baby Herc

• 1 month later...

I read fruit causes cancer,candida,diabetes type 1 and 2, osteoporosis,brain damage etc...Don't believe everything you read.Grains are awesome!