creatine

I started taking creatine and my strength went up a lot and my stamina doubled, but i noticed that i started to fell really bad. I went to my natural healer that i go to and he said that it was affecting my adrenals and thyroid glans and it put some metals in my body. This is all within 2 weeks of use. before this point i had no heavy metals in my body and all my organs and glans were working perfectly. Do you guys know of any natural creatine products?

When I was on creatine, I drank a gallon of water every day and still had problems with my quads, calves, and the bottoms of my feet cramping up *hard* under strain. I liked the results from creatine but I could not drink enough water to keep from cramping up.

• 1 month later...

Try supplementing some potassium in your diet to help or eliminate the muscle cramps , but I havent ever had any side effects from creatine... But well which type of creatine are you using???

Because if your using creatine monohydrate try either switching to creatine ethyl ester , it has a ester attached to the monohydrate molecules to make it absorb almost 100% into the cells which means you have very little side effect if any , and your strength gains will soar through the roof because of the more creatine your cells are holding.. I would also up your water intake to 2 gallons if possible... and if your not drinking distilled water try drinking it... Or if your drinking normal water not distilled , then you could even up it to 3 gallons a day. But if you start using distilled if your not already dont go 3 or 4 gallons because will/ or can cause your cells to swell or burst and thats not good at all.

USE now creatine...I tried a bunch and that was the best for me. As for it being synthetic...prety much all bottled creatine is synthetic(synthesized from a root). You just need to make sure you take it with some type of natural simple sugar...for me it was grape juice(make sure whatever juice you drink is 100% juice)...the simple sugar is what transports the creatine to you body...and make sure you cycle it out too. If you take creatine for too long your body will stop making it and you'll need to take it forever. As for the cramp you've gotta make up for it and drink water...the initial weight you gain from creatine comes from water gourging your muscles anyway so its good to drink as much as you can handle

Creatine Ethyl Ester has barely any water retention because almost 100% of it is absorbed into the cells. But like all creatines its best to take in juice. In my opinion grade juice is the best because it raises your insulin the most. But like with all creatine it lowers your bodys natural creatine production so your gains will start to drop. So you need to take a couple weeks off from creatine to allow your body to build back up a good natural creatine level. Then you can start using creatine again.

With monohydrate you have to do a loading phase cause the absorbtion of the creatine sucks. But with Ethyl Ester you do not need a loading phase.

One problem I have with creatine is that it becomes like a bench shirt or squat suit. It give an immediate gain before you reach your supplement free potential and I think it can potentially lower your potential as a strength athlete if you take it too early in your career(I've seen a bunch of people not even squatting 2x their body weight with squat suits and people benching just a little over their weight with shirts...and honestly I think thats a little rediculous)...this is why alot of pro sprinters and even some throwers(Javelin and Discus mostly) aren't permitted to lift weights at all until their gains slow...a buddy of mine just won the NCAA discus title and was in the past Olympics...his father is an ex olympian as well. Anyway he was the 4th best discus thrower in the nation his junior year in high school and only then did his father allow him to lift with any real effort(he lifted before but more to teach him the techniques of the clean and jerk and the snatch). I think I definately took creatine too early(started when I was 15) and it got me strong but I think it limited my future total maxes. After a couple injuries then going vegan I never supplemented for weight training and I blew my old maxes out of the water once all that crap got out of my body...if I peaked out clean and then took creatine after that I'd probably be benching atleast 420shirtless by now. I think most people take creatine well before they're ready...its like taking steriods when you realize you can do a pushup....atleast wait until you can do two or three pushups for crying out loud.

If cramping is an issue, I'd also recommend a creatine/glutamine/taurine supplement as taurine is added to reduce muscle cramps.

I personally don't think that there's much wrong with taking creatine at any point even if someone is a relatively new lifter (I wouldn't waste my time, though, without at least 6 months of training experience), but I wouldn't bother to use it constantly, rather for a few months on, take a few off and repeat. Comparing it to equipment like a bench shirt or steroids is kind of tough since it isn't an artificial aid such as a shirt/suit and it isn't anywhere NEAR the potency of steroids (though, like testosterone, is naturally produced in the body). I've seen people taking steroids go up 25 lbs. in 8 weeks and have their strength increase by 25-30% as well, but there's no way that creatine can even come close as far as taking your body's potential so far so fast due to its limitations. That, and the unwanted effects of using illegal substances aren't there as well, making it a much safer option as an aid for progress. Yes, it can help some, but for most you'll gain a few lbs. of water and some muscular endurance (which can certainly assist in your workouts in the quest for size and strength), but honestly, it isn't a miracle worker and I don't know anyone whose entire lifting "career" (term used loosely) was drastically changed by it to where it can be credited with the bulk of their progress.

Honestly, I think creatine is rather overhyped, but if it helps, I say go for it since you could certainly do a lot worse.

I gained 15 pounds the first month I took creatine(not sure how much of it was water)...I was already lifting intensly for over a year...my bench went up 30lbs and my squat went up 50...I took andro(very dumb and basically just a weak steriod) for a about a month after I started lifting hard the year earlier and granted I had only been lifting a few months I gained 50lbs in bench max in one month...I stopped taking it because I was scared of my fast gains. I think everyones body reacts differently...creatine made a huge difference for me but I feel in the long run it would have helped me much more if I took it when I was 18 or later instead of 15.

Yes, I think taking it at a young age will probably be a point to avoid since most people will grow and get stronger like crazy right up through their early 20s with nothing more than a solid diet and sensible training. At 15, you'd probably still have managed to do a great deal of progress even without the creatine, but the added benefit can be a spoiler for later on when the reality of the difficulties of getting the same results will settle in. I for one wish the days of adding 30 lbs. to a lift in 6 weeks was still an easy thing to accomplish - never fun looking back and realizing that just as I started to get fair strength my body was already fighting against me as I headed into my 30s. Oh well, providing I don't fall to pieces I can only hope to one day be one of those guys in their 50s squatting double bodyweight.

Quiting is a way to go up 30lbs in 6 weeks:) I haven't lifted in 9 months and surely all my lifts would go up 30lbs in 6 weeks...too bad they have all probably dropped 200lbs first(atleast)