Vegan Bodybuilding & Fitness

Healthy Food Defines You
It is currently Wed Jul 23, 2014 2:50 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: 30% of calories from protein....
PostPosted: Mon Jan 09, 2012 5:29 pm 
Elephant

...is a challenge. I am really trying to stick with whole foods and eat more than just tofu, and with only 1-2 servings of protein powder, but it's tough! Is anybody else low calorie and high protein here?

Post subject: Re: 30% of calories from protein....
PostPosted: Mon Jan 09, 2012 7:46 pm 
Manatee

Can't go wrong with adding in legumes, unless you're highly intolerant/don't like the initial gas explosions until your system gets used to them. lol

PostPosted: Mon Jan 09, 2012 10:09 pm 
Rabbit

I am trying the low calorie high protein... man its hard getting all your protein if you aren't supplementing at least twice a day and eating tofu... the calories can sneak up on you fast. I have learned that I have to do nuts in complete moderation, because though they are high in protein... their protein to calorie ratio is not great for the diet we are pursuing. I have been waking up and taking in about 58 grams of protein through a fruit/protein smoothie... what I do is 1 scoop Vega protein with 6tablespoons hemp protein and 1 tablespoon Chai seeds and whatever fruit is in season or on sale. Right off the bat I have 1/3 of the protein I am looking for and nice energy from the fruit. After my workouts I do the hemp protein with a mixed plant protein and no fruit... its 54 grams protein so there is 2/3 of my protein. This makes up 1/2 of my daily calories. Since I am supplementing half my cals I try to get some nutrient dense veggies in there too, but I still find that I need to get some tofu in to meet my protein requirements.

I would love to hear if you figure out a different method. I have lots about 4lbs since I started this method two weeks ago.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 09, 2012 10:23 pm 
Elephant

Do you eat seitan?

In a 100g serve:

25g protein
2g fat
4g carbs
130 kcal

PostPosted: Tue Jan 10, 2012 12:02 am 
Elephant

I like seitan as a meat replacement, but the protein quality is only around 50%, so 100g of seitan protein is 50g of complete protein, plus 50g of entirely lysine deficient protein. I could try to add very high lysine sources in my daily diet to account for that, but that's even more restriction. Plus seitan is more processed than I would like as well....

PostPosted: Tue Jan 10, 2012 12:04 am 
Elephant

viciousvixenx wrote:
I am trying the low calorie high protein... man its hard getting all your protein if you aren't supplementing at least twice a day and eating tofu... the calories can sneak up on you fast. I have learned that I have to do nuts in complete moderation, because though they are high in protein... their protein to calorie ratio is not great for the diet we are pursuing. I have been waking up and taking in about 58 grams of protein through a fruit/protein smoothie... what I do is 1 scoop Vega protein with 6tablespoons hemp protein and 1 tablespoon Chai seeds and whatever fruit is in season or on sale. Right off the bat I have 1/3 of the protein I am looking for and nice energy from the fruit. After my workouts I do the hemp protein with a mixed plant protein and no fruit... its 54 grams protein so there is 2/3 of my protein. This makes up 1/2 of my daily calories. Since I am supplementing half my cals I try to get some nutrient dense veggies in there too, but I still find that I need to get some tofu in to meet my protein requirements.

I would love to hear if you figure out a different method. I have lots about 4lbs since I started this method two weeks ago.

Congrats on the weight loss. I don't mind tofu, but I want to stay away from that much protein if possible. Hemp protein isn't usually 'pure' protein, so I suppose that's not a very processed food, but it is expensive, and oh that taste! :S

Post subject: 30% of calories from protein....
PostPosted: Tue Jan 10, 2012 12:08 am 
Rabbit

I actually found a pretty inexpensive hemp protein... But yea it's an acquired taste for sure!!!!!

PostPosted: Tue Jan 10, 2012 7:30 am 
Rabbit

Calories add up fast. I'm aiming for 30% protein cals as well and without shakes my calories get always too high.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 10, 2012 7:39 am 
Elephant

Fallen_Horse wrote:
I like seitan as a meat replacement, but the protein quality is only around 50%, so 100g of seitan protein is 50g of complete protein, plus 50g of entirely lysine deficient protein. I could try to add very high lysine sources in my daily diet to account for that, but that's even more restriction. Plus seitan is more processed than I would like as well....

Isn't that why people cook it with soy sauce, or Braggs Liquid Aminos?

PostPosted: Tue Jan 10, 2012 9:14 am 
Rabbit

Fallen_Horse wrote:

Take some pea protein then. Legumes rate highly with lysine, so it balances out.