Healthy Food Defines You
It is currently Sat Nov 22, 2014 4:25 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: gases?
PostPosted: Wed May 10, 2006 12:34 am 
Rabbit

hi,
here is something for all of you to laugh

now i know this will sound funny, but it is a big problem to me.
i have gases and i mean big time, everyday they hunt me, they don't smell, thanks god :D
but my notice is that use to when i ate meat i didn't had this problems but nowdays, when i'm vegan and eat lots of fruits and vegetables i have gases and intestinal problems, is it maybe because the fruits and vegetables are easy to digest? or is it because of soy? :D

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed May 10, 2006 1:07 am 
Site Admin

I know some people have issues with gas, including myself. I think we've talked about it in a few other threads as well, so you might want to explore and see what suggestions have already been mentioned.

For me, I think soy has something to do with it.

A few tips in general that seem to work are:

Eat slowly, allow time for digestion.

Eat fruits by themselves not with heavy protein-rich foods.

Notice what foods upset your stomach and use process of elimination to find out the cause of the gas.

Take digest aids such as Digest Gold, or other vegan digestive aids to help reduce gas, bloating, or upset stomach.

All the best,

Rob

Check out my Vegan Bodybuilding & Fitness Book on Amazon http://www.amazon.com/Vegan-Bodybuildin ... 497&sr=1-1

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed May 10, 2006 8:00 am 
Elephant

Depending on what you are eating there are spices that are said to help. You can find that kind of info if you search the net. Some find that this problem clears up after a few months, your body adjusts.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed May 10, 2006 9:54 am 
Elephant

Too much soy gives me gas big time.

Cruciferous vegetables (broccloli, cabbage, etc.) can promote gassiness. Beans can as well.

There are digestive enzymes you can take that can help with digestion of these foods and reduce gas.

Also, making sure not to swallow too much air when you eat. People who eat with their mouths open (besides being disgusting) or use straws or eat quickly can swallow a lot of air that contributes to gas.

Are you newly veggie? Then it can be a matter of your body adapting to a higher level of fiber than previously.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed May 10, 2006 10:07 am 
Elephant

You know what helps me is if I press on my belly with my fingertips moving the fingers around in a circular motion between each press. I'm not sure of the exact mechanics behind how this works, but I think it helps break up the gases so they are less concentrated and can escape your body more easily. Whatever the exact mechanism is though, doing this definitely helps me when I'm feeling the way you are

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed May 10, 2006 11:07 am 
Rabbit

Am I the only one here who enjoys gas? Releasing gas is the next best thing to sex. I hope I have lots of gas today! :lol: :lol: :oops:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed May 10, 2006 11:42 am 
Site Admin

:fart: :notworthy: :prayer: :lachmal: :lachmal: :lachmal:

Check out my Vegan Bodybuilding & Fitness Book on Amazon http://www.amazon.com/Vegan-Bodybuildin ... 497&sr=1-1

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed May 10, 2006 11:53 am 
Elephant

jjaj2022 wrote:
Am I the only one here who enjoys gas? Releasing gas is the next best thing to sex. I hope I have lots of gas today! :lol: :lol: :oops:

According to "Diet for a New America" author ? Robbins, you may not be as demented as you sound. :wink: He claims that the average american pases gas about 13 times in a day, and that it is actually beneficial because it can help prevent colon cancer. (Or maybe that's just what he says to those around him to justify his actions!).

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed May 10, 2006 11:57 am 
Elephant

Um, does this mean there's another contest in the works Rob ? :lol: :wink: :lol:

No human can call themselves liberal or radical or even a conservative advocate of fair play, if they contribute in any way to the pain and suffering of other beings.

http://www.myspace.com/cjdcrash

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed May 10, 2006 1:54 pm 
Rabbit

Kathryn wrote:
jjaj2022 wrote:

According to "Diet for a New America" author ? Robbins, you may not be as demented as you sound. :wink: He claims that the average american pases gas about 13 times in a day, and that it is actually beneficial because it can help prevent colon cancer. (Or maybe that's just what he says to those around him to justify his actions!).

Is that 13 times a day or 13 times an hour??? I definately sense another contest around the corner.....

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue May 16, 2006 4:56 pm 
Stegosaurus

willpeavy wrote:
You know what helps me is if I press on my belly with my fingertips moving the fingers around in a circular motion between each press. I'm not sure of the exact mechanics behind how this works, but I think it helps break up the gases so they are less concentrated and can escape your body more easily. Whatever the exact mechanism is though, doing this definitely helps me when I'm feeling the way you are

hey Will,

This is exactly what baby massage therapists do for baby gas! They massage the baby's stomach in the same way you mention to break up the gas and make baby feel better. :D So you are definitely on to somethin' there. 8)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue May 16, 2006 10:21 pm 
Elephant

compassionategirl wrote:
willpeavy wrote:

hey Will,

This is exactly what baby massage therapists do for baby gas! They massage the baby's stomach in the same way you mention to break up the gas and make baby feel better. :D So you are definitely on to somethin' there. 8)

True that's what we do for my son when he gets gassy

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed May 17, 2006 1:12 am 
Site Admin

I missed the recent comments about a contest :shock: :P 8) :D :lol: :idea:

Perhaps that is just what we need :fart: :hal :munky2:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed May 17, 2006 9:48 am 
Rabbit

You guys are in big trouble now!! I'm going out to get some SOY after work....

Farting is a contest I don't think I'll ever lose.. anyone else wake someone from a dead sleep with a fart? and I don't mean the sound......

What are the rules?? what are we getting graded on? volume? odor? decibels?

Are we limited to vegan foods?? I'm severely lactose intolerant, so I'd have an ace in the hole with some whey!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed May 17, 2006 1:29 pm 
Elephant

And I thought raw vegan diets were easier to digest and assimilate?