Stomach pain after drinking pea protein shake

All topics relating to health, diet, nutrition programs and any questions you might have about general health.

Moderators: Mini Forklift Ⓥ, C.O., Richard, robert, SyrLinus

Tommy Gunn
Rabbit

Stomach pain after drinking pea protein shake

#1 Postby Tommy Gunn » Mon Mar 05, 2012 11:47 am

Hi everyone

I've just started using pea protein powder. I've only used it twice so far, but both times I experienced mild stomach pains for about 5 to 10 minutes after drinking it. I was mixing it with hemp protein powder, which I've used before and had no such effects. I just mixed it with water, so can't be that either.

Has anyone else experienced this? Is it just the pea protein powder, or is it the mix of hemp and pea?

Morgan_Cade
Finch

Re: Stomach pain after drinking pea protein shake

#2 Postby Morgan_Cade » Mon Mar 12, 2012 7:56 pm

I have had the same effect with consuming hemp protein and some other brands of protein shakes. I believe it has to do with a reaction that is taking place within our digestive tracts. It is slightly painful for me and definitely uncomfortable.

I am currently looking right now through the threads here to see if anyone can or possibly already answered this concerning question of ours.

If they have I will be sure to let you know.

divamom
Manatee

#3 Postby divamom » Mon Mar 12, 2012 9:40 pm

i can't do pea protein, either. I am looking at rice as an option...but horrible stomach aches. Try cutting the amount in 1/2 and split the scoop so 1/2 in a.m. and half mid afternoon or eve.? I will be re introducing pea protein in my diet again this week, probably Wed.

Tommy Gunn
Rabbit

#4 Postby Tommy Gunn » Wed Mar 14, 2012 5:27 am

It seems to be okay now actually. Now I'm having a post-workout shake of soya protein, hemp protein and pea protein and that's not giving me the same stomach aches. It does taste vile though. Having to mix it with a lot of orange squash, which means a lot of sugar, which I'm trying to avoid. I'm going to try going back to flavoured soya protein powder, that wasn't so bad.

Return to “Health & Nutrition Programs”