HELP NEW VEGAN!

Hi everyone,

Well im male,20yrs old, turned vegan a month ago. im 6ft and 144pounds and excerise 3 times a week

But since i turned vegan i have gotten eczema on my left arm between my elbows?!, on my neck and behind my ears?!?

and also have light night sweats and havent slept properly for a month since turning vegan

why is this so?? please help

my diet for a typical day is:

100g oats

handful blueberries

3-4 strawberries

ALOT of water

100g almonds

50g flax seed

50g sesame

1 avocado

60-100gram of kale

1 bell pepper

500g-1000g of cooked brown rice

500g-1000g of lentils,split lentils,chick peas or similar

tble spoon of EVOO

tble spoon of ACV

5 medjool dates

and the ocassional bananas

Any clues what i been doing wrong? and i cant tolerate wheat and gluten.

And any answers about soy controvesary as i really want to eat more various foods! like tempeh n tofu

Many Thanks

Hmmm, is there something you didn't eat before being vegan that you now eat regularly? I have eczema and there's no one cause, but certain foods can exacerbate it. Stress seems to be the one universal trigger, and for me I avoid using soaps with artificial dyes and perfumes. Mine appeared long before I was vegan and I have no idea what suddenly triggered it (I was 17).

Here's some info about soy from a vegan RD:

http://www.theveganrd.com/2011/08/soy-isoflavones-and-estrogen.html

Hi there,

I second what mrsbadmouth said, I tend to get flare ups when I'm really stressed out. Do you notice that you have more stress in your life right now?

If you think it might be caused by high fats, I would suggest cutting down how much fat you are eating for a few days and see if the eczema gets better.

hi

is there more stress?...well kind off with family, i have been a bit wild unusually so that will be probably be a factor but never understood how just stressing could cause such a thing? does stress include shouting and etc?

im not sure if its high fat though since i read in these forums some fellow vegans eat up to 100g of fats a day?!

Not every vegan has eczema. What causes an eczema flare up in one person is not necessarily going to cause another person to have eczema.

My understanding is that the link between eczema and stress is pretty clear. I'm not saying that's always what causes eczema, it certainly isn't the case for everyone, but the data suggests that it certainly can cause a flare up.

It take some experimentation to see what helps your symptoms. Try cutting down the stress if possible and see if you react. If you think it is something you are eating then just stop eating it and see what happens.

Also, I find that hydrocortisone cream helps with the symptoms. It's not getting at the root cause, but it can provide you with some relief.

hi

yh i understand what your saying, if i remember correctly that my eczema this time round didnt come within a click, as i embrassingly start to stratch the area not thinking about it as it was a bit itchy and the next i thing i know, eczema appears

and plus i live in the uk where recently its been cold since i got this eczema so i do realise that as a correlation.

my other main concern is light night sweats for which i dont understand, i would wake up in the middle of the night sweating mildly even in a freezing cold room! any solutions by anybody would help!

My eczema is actually worse in the summer, I think it's because i'm more active and I garden, so I am showering and washing my hands a lot more often (mine is almost exclusively on the palm of my left hand and my thumbs). Or should I say, the peeling skin is worse in the summer, I don't actually get more bumps in more places.

From years of dealing with it, I can tell you that the best thing anyone can do is destress, keep your skin moisturized with a good lotion, not some stinky crap from the mall (I like Nature's Gate), try not to overwash, switch out your soaps/laundry detergents for something gentle, and the hydrocoristone cream should help with the itching. I've never been officially treated for mine, but I believe if you go to the doctor they will give you a steroid cream.

I don't know about the night sweats, but excessive sweating is also thought to be a possible cause of eczema outbreaks. The kind that I have is usually linked to excessive sweating (but I actually don't sweat very much, so who knows):

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dyshidrosis

I found out that dairy was a big trigger for me, after I switched to soy milk and yogurt it got a LOT better. I've gone gluten-free and low sugar for periods of time and those don't seem to be an issue for me, but everyone is different.

• 4 years later...

i have not had an eczema outbreak in two years - here's what I do:

-Wear cotton or soft fabrics. Avoid rough, scratchy fibers and tight clothing.

-Take lukewarm baths and showers, using mild soap or non-soap cleanser

-Gently pat your skin dry with a soft towel – do not rub.

-Apply a moisturizer (I use the Made from Earth Valencia Orange Lotion) within 3 minutes after bathing to “lock in” moisture.

• 1 year later...