8 FOODS PEOPLE THINK ARE HEALTHY … BUT AREN’T

1. Most things are fine and reasonably healthy in moderation. Having a tablespoon or two of agave nectar on pancakes once a week isn't going to kill anyone, that is, unless they're allergic to agave nectar. That, and raw agave isn't processed the same way, but from a site that likes to reference that goof Dr. Mercola (who has some pretty asinine views from time to time) I can see how this would happen.

2. I don't advocate eating tons of processed soy, but their throwing out a range of "alarming" issues that they infer could be developed by eating a few Boca burgers here and there is pretty silly.

3. If people haven't figured out yet that you shouldn't drink fruit juice by the gallon as a healthy alternative to water due to the sugar and calories, there's little hope left for humanity

4. Bragg's liquid aminos aren't intended to be drank by the cupful. It's like soy sauce, and anyone who is "alarmed" about that fact obviously didn't do their homework. And, ugh, the tired old MSG stuff, if people actually knew that the issue that started the whole "MSG is evil!" situation was done as a shot in the dark as to what could be causing symptoms in people and has yet to have a solid foundation in science is only hurting their credibility. Those are the same people who don't understand the differences also in a processed MSG powder and natural glutamic acid, so why aren't these same people crying out about the dangers of sea vegetables and such?

As I always say, consider the source - are they selling website subscriptions, books, DVDs, seminars, etc.? If so, they NEED an angle to play to get people coming back for more "great information", and sadly, lots of purported experts love to either leave out useful info (such as, don't over-consume and you'll be okay) or other pertinent details that make their statements less than truly accurate.

What Ryan said. You can usually tell by the level of high design and marketing of a website just what they are about. This one is about selling something. Their goal is to rile you, get you anxious about something, and then provide the cure. (See: evening news stations and Mens Health) Not a lot of evidence on their pages, just the Facts du Jour, i.e. whatever the evening "health" news segment is reporting this week. And they left out the most imperative, salient point of all: we ain't cookie cutter copies of one another. We each have a unique body balance.

Our job is not to wring our hands with insecurity and worry, basking in the glow of the television (or computer) screen, awaiting the verdict of strange doctors, but to explore and research our own bodies, our own unique experience, and our own wonderful values. Soy supports some, kills others. Does that make it evil for all? Not if you monitor your fitness levels. Fruit is pure but it's concentrated juice is mostly sugar, does that make it cocaine? Not if you're about to do wind sprints. Agave is one of the latest vegetable sweeteners on the block, does that mean you can mainline it like heroine and go to bed guilt-free? Grow up. Use your noggin, you've been doing good so far.

Just remember: the media usually reports fantastical statistics on groups of people you haven't even met, just to get you excited enough to tune in tomorrow. Ask yourself: are these reporters/bloggers/writers actually weight lifting vegans with a passion for ultimate health? Or are they just folks working hard to keep their jobs? Stick to your guns. Your guns are lookin' good, darlin'.

Baby Herc

1. "According to Dr Joseph Mercola"

Mercola is a nutcase and if Mercola says anything, it is a good reason to believe the opposite view.

2. "by Kaayla T. Daniel"

Kaayla get funding from http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Weston_A._Price_Foundation which is a meat lobby. Her views are heavily influenced by money and The Whole Soy Story has been criticized many many times for inaccuracies and mispresenting the sources used.

3. For most meat eaters changing to fish based diet from meat based diet would be a lot healthier than eating red meat. But still the mercury stuff and farmed fish things here are relevant.

4. There are different kinds of sugars. Still, processed fruit juices are not that healthy - eat the whole fruit instead!

5. Even though I do not consider milk being healthy, I think here the argument about calcium is flawed.

6. Source: "By Dr. Joseph Mercola"

7. I don't even know what this is so I won't comment anything.

8. Are there people who actually think that Subway is healthy?

Also: hi all, haven't written here for a while.

http://www.thewellnesswarrior.com.au/2012/03/8-foods-people-think-are-healthy-but-arent/

no braggs?? no soy?[again with this?] what? thoughts on this??

I don't think you think think this, but just because it is on the Internet doesn't make it true. You have to look at the credentials of anyone giving advice on the internet. I've seen SO MANY spurious articles about nutrition, thoroughly routed, that turned out to be written by people whose only qualifications were things like "food writer".

Look for a name and a date on any internet article. Does the person have a degree? In what? Do they do nutrition research for a living? Are they quoting experts who do? Are they know for a bias ( Google )?

Dr. Mercola has a reputation for being irrationally anti-soy and being all about weird alternative beliefs.