Low estrogen levels -- no period

Question for the women still in the child bearing years. Have any of you had any issues with low body fat on vegan diet causing you to lose your period. Been a vegan for close to 2 years. Always had a regular period. Lost a ton of weight from vegan diet. periods stopped and estrogen levels became really low due to losing body fat.

Workouts are mostly 5 or 6 days weight training for about an hr with maybe one or two days HIIT cardio training.

Diet is strictly vegan. grains, nuts, seeds, fruits and veggies

For anybody that recovered from low estrogen by regaining body fat, can you provide a sample vegan diet. Also when the scale started to go up fast, did you start to freak out. I like the muscle tone look and I'm worried that eating a cal surplus with min cardio will make me look soft. No wonder why people develop eating disorders.

I was told to cut back on exercise to see if period returns. Low estrogen can eventually break down the bones. It just stinks that limited exercise and more eating will probably ruin all the hard work to get that muscle def. Soon no more muscle def but a period. Maybe health and exercise needs to be redefine for women.

Hi Gaia,

Have you ever experience having no period from low body fat due to eating clean and exercise. Does a lot of vegan females that strength train experience this. Females should at least have 20% body fat to menstruate. My guess is most vegan females into fitness and diet have less than 20% since most of the diet are grains, fruits, seeds, beans, veggies, and nuts.

The one month of comp, I usually do not have a period. But by then, I was so physically and mentally drained of everything and I was pushing myself way beyond my limits. There was no way this female body could make a baby at that time, so it gave up. But as you ease up, the body decides that it is OK to make a baby and the period begins again right afterward you ease up. Intensity always pushing forward will make your body decide not to produce the hormones as it is not a good time to procreate. As soon as you ease up a little, you give the body the idea that you will continue to ease up and it makes the hormones needed.

I think if you just ease up alittle on your training, say do a low intensity cardio instead of high intensity all the time, and maybe gain only 1% bodyfat back, you will get your period. If not, then I would be concerned that it could be alot of other things that could go wrong that I would personally get it checked out (endometriosis runs in my family, so I have to be on guard for that). Just having a vegan diet is not a good excuse for not getting a period. All women athletes who push themselves pass the safety zone, can lose their period. But like all good athletes, it is just for the one time event - then they ease up and go back to the safety zone for health reasons as you stated to having your period (circulating hormones in the blood stream do more than just begin the menstrual cycle).

Your guess would be wrong on the vegan female athletes being less than 20% bodyfat due to their diet. My body type is a mesomorph, with an incline towards endomorph without exercising - so I am pretty big - even on the raw vegan diet! My metabolism is very efficiently at getting every calories out of my food. LOL!

Could be possible. I always tan for a comp, so my Vitamin D is way up there (while trying to minimize sun damage to the skin). So low Vitamin D is not the cause to my no period - it is the physical stress I place on my body and the low bodyfat.

I bet my life on the wonders of Vitamin D.

There is lots of other reasons why menstrual cycle stops; calorie restricting, high carb/low fat, high fat/low carb, and what Gaia said, intense exercise to the point the fatty acids get used as fuel.

Missing Menstrual Cycle - No Overt Fats? - The comments are good below the initial topic.

I personally don't like tanning beds. I made Vitamin D the first couple of times and then my skin was wrecked to make anymore. The Sun is the best option since it also emits color wavelength which stimulates melanin. I also like sweating under the Sun by playing soccer or running around; the sweat with sunshine tans me. No sunburn.

Vitashine is my favorite D3 supplement, no side effects.

D2 is Vegan, D2 is from mushrooms.

Vegan D3 is from lichen and pre-D3 is formed in the skin when under the Sun.

Vitamin D3 vs Vitamin D2

I've tried Solgar D3 from sheeps wool years ago and felt so sick after the first supplement, a dose of 2000iu and stopped taking them. The companies use carcinogens to extract the D3 from sheeps wool, a very toxic method.

I use Vitashine D3 5000iu's from lichen, Vegan. Absolutely no side effects. I don't take more than 5000iu's per day contrary to whatever anyone says on the internet. You can watch the video in my signature if you haven't already done so, there is a chart somewhere near the end of the video, toxicity chances increase right after 6-7000 iu's.

USA customers(based on Vitashine): http://www.ghthealth.com/vitamind3.aspx

I don't eat legumes/soy because of the phytoestrogens, they effiminate me with beautiful feminine skin and muscle loss however vegetables don't have the same effect. My protein mainly comes from vegetables.

The hormones that produce a period for a woman are very powerful. I do not think you can eat enough estrogen-blocking foods to counteract the hormones (and these hormones have a high affinity for their receptors and thus are so much more powerful than any food that is digesting that may or may not become estrogen-blocking chemicals). I would be more incline to take herbs and supplements (such as DIM) which are slightly more powerful than foods to block estrogen, or balance estrogen levels.

As a woman there is so many strong estrogen-producing chemicals that we have in our shampoos, makeup, and other synthetic made items that we use everyday once, twice, or even more times a day, that you would be more prone to estrogen-producing overstimulation that leads to breast cancer and other cancers.