Vegan Bodybuilding & Fitness

Healthy Food Defines You
It is currently Tue Sep 16, 2014 2:35 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: Re: Low estrogen levels -- no period
PostPosted: Thu May 03, 2012 8:26 pm 
Rabbit

hi gaia,

b12 and iron came back fine. use to have iron problem. eat lots of greens such as kale and broccoli and pumpkin seeds which I noticed is on the estrogen block list. vegan is suppose to be healthy but yet vegans have trouble with iron,b12,d, etc

Post subject: Re: Low estrogen levels -- no period
PostPosted: Mon Aug 06, 2012 8:43 am 
Rabbit

Hi comingtocyberspace

As per my slight digression on the other thread :roll: .... and to answer a bit more to your query...I am now aged 50 and been Vegan around 18 years... I used to do Triathlons training twice a day for 6 days a week and once a day on my rest day...this regime included a 22-32 mile run every Monday..I add this last piece of information especially as its a 'fat burner type run' and I used to wear a hear-rate monitor to keep my hear beats per min under 120...

...I did not look like I was a Vegan I had another 2 stone of weight on me and it was mostly muscle and a bit more fat (but healthy looking fat)...I still had periods as regular a clock work..so I couldn't say being a Vegan affected me adversely...

...but the intake of soya may have been the beginning of a slow deterioration re the Thyroid, although it has taken around 20 years for this to possible affect me???

What I haven't mentioned is that I was born with a genetic condition that affects my breathing...this is why I no longer do triathlons...I cannot maintain aerobic activity for long (unless it's walking) I can't even jog let alone run anymore...but I can sprint (as it's anaerobic)...not doing such an intense training regime any longer is why I have lost so much muscle and IMO didn't appear to have anything do with being Vegan...

However, what I should also say is my weight stayed up (perhaps lost 7-10lbs) for many years after giving up such an intense training regime, as I hill walked and cycled a lot...It is only the past 5 years or so that I noticed that I am getting thinner and thinner. I put this mostly down to doing much less exercise...

...if you don't use it...you lose it... :lol:

I also have to consider hormonal changes at my age...plus aging...it is known that as people get older they start to lose muscle...

....I can't stand getting thinner anymore :evil: ...so I thought bodybuilding is ideal in several ways:
-I've always loved the look of body builders - motivation for me
-It can be very anaerobic (so suits the way my breathing condition has deteriorated)
-I have found a new sport to get into
-If you're a person who listens to their intuition. :lol: ..well mine has been crying out at me for several years to take this up, saying it's what my body needs...and I have a sneaky feeling it's going to help improve my breathing and therefore my aerobic capacity (I can improve it somewhat but it's like always being at altitude but never adjusting properly :roll: )

In terms of what you were saying re your TSH levels are high (same as me but I'm borderline high) did you get your T3 and T4 levels tested too? Your diet seems pretty healthy (not that I'm an exper :wink: ) do you eat much in the way of veg? especially the dark green leafy variety? Do you get good amount of vit B12, B6 and iron. Do you eat your protein foods in a 'amino acid complementary' way?(although some people say you don't need to but I prefer to get my amino acids together...Do you think you might be gluten intolerant ie affecting nutrient intake in the stomach?....Is your TSH reading way over the upper threshold of acceptable?

....also you mention your weight and height...I have heard that b/b women with low b/fat % can stop having periods...I have also read that the more fat you have on you the more estrogen the body produces, this as you know is tied to periods...I don't know what you body fat levels are? Would it bother you to put on some fat to see if your periods return (doesn't mean you have to be unfit)...but your period problem could be iron deficiency... all sorts of things... so the better and more balanced your diet the better...sorry to state the obvious :lol: BTW I used to carry more fat, as mentioned above, whilst being a Vegan.

I hope my personal experience helps to alleviate some fears? :) Also to alleviate any more concerns of being a Vegan and getting thinner or not getting bigger, whilst I have only been weight training for 4 weeks now (only 3/4 times a week) my biceps and triceps have noticeably grown, my upper thighs are developing new muscles (not the quads but smaller ones up near the flexing part of the leg), my dead-lift (my favourite leg exercise :D ) weight started at 20kg (incl bar) I have recently this week reached my first set of 6 at 50kg (although I still need my back to adjust to this weight to get proper form, at one point I couldn't lift the bar much more than an inch or two off the floor)..so happy days...

If I can sort the thyroid perhaps I can make much more in the way of gains..hope you do too :D