Vegan Bodybuilding & Fitness

Healthy Food Defines You
It is currently Wed Oct 22, 2014 3:24 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: Re: Dr.McDougall -- The Starch Solution
PostPosted: Wed Jul 04, 2012 6:42 am 
Manatee

Well sounds like you are still enjoying the starches (beans/wheat) and drinking plenty of water so whatever makes you (and your body) happy!

PostPosted: Thu Jul 05, 2012 7:32 am 
Rabbit

I like his ideas and I think he's definitively a good advocate for a healthier eating.
Most of his ideas work for me. I do eat starchy foods but also mix it up with legumes, some raw veggies, fruits and nuts,seeds, tofu. I am just hungry every 1-2 hours if I don't eat complex carbs.

You guys should remember his advice is for a starch based Diet, and not starch only.
As far as I saw he isn't saying you should eat only starch.
His standard plan might be less compatible for somebody that has no muscles mass whatsoever. And wanna pack on some mass. Most people will probably need more Protein when training for muscles mass. I've tested this on myself. I couldn't gain much with 50g-60g protein.

It's understandable everybody think they are right and I respect that. But I can't agree with many ideas that people call "the best".
I am for once can't agree with raw only or fruitarians. Too much fiber from fruits or veggies makes my stomach unhappy. I can't really call eating only loads of bananas, mangoes and a few more fruits as balanced Diet. Or drinking mostly green or vegetable shakes etc...
For me it's unbalanced almost as your typical western animal based Diet.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 05, 2012 10:54 am 
Rabbit

Yeah. Well what I think HorseSense is saying is the science is there. Our bodys run off carbs, and it does best with high carbs low fat. Whether we "feel" it or not is relative. Because like you said, you don't feel right with all the fruit in you. So many factors can go into this...

You are right though, he does say make the meal based around a starch, and have unlimited amounts of fruits, veggies, nuts etc etc.
P.S. Legumes are starches.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 05, 2012 1:05 pm 
Rabbit

SeventhDay wrote:
Yeah. Well what I think HorseSense is saying is the science is there.

There is science for a lot of things out there and all these scientists and their followers claim to have it right. Paleo, Zone, 811, Atkins, Raw Food, South Beach etc. etc. etc. - and we can't know who's right.

It really is kind of amusing but it gets plain annoying when the followers of one of these or another diet get opinionated and zealous about their diet and trying to defend their chosen diet with everything they have. Someone is posting a link to a study that seems to support Paleo, then someone replies with a link to a study that seems to support 811 and it's always the same merry-go-round.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 05, 2012 3:16 pm 
Manatee

Sorry if I was argumentative. As Temple Grandin once said in an interview, there are two types of folks in this world - the idealist and the practical person. She said she was the practical type, as in, not "what would be ideal?" but "what can I do now?". This was her reply when asked why doesn't she just become vegan instead of "just" help end cruelty at holding facilities and slaughterhouses.

I'm the Idealist. I do not accept less than what is ideal, and that can get me in trouble sometimes. So sorry if I come across as preachy to others. lol

PostPosted: Thu Jul 05, 2012 3:18 pm 
Rabbit

Mufflon wrote:
SeventhDay wrote:
Yeah. Well what I think HorseSense is saying is the science is there.

There is science for a lot of things out there and all these scientists and their followers claim to have it right. Paleo, Zone, 811, Atkins, Raw Food, South Beach etc. etc. etc. - and we can't know who's right.

It really is kind of amusing but it gets plain annoying when the followers of one of these or another diet get opinionated and zealous about their diet and trying to defend their chosen diet with everything they have. Someone is posting a link to a study that seems to support Paleo, then someone replies with a link to a study that seems to support 811 and it's always the same merry-go-round.

I have nothing against anyone who eats paleo / primal / vegetarian etc. its there choice...
However... Paleo / Primal is proven to cause health problems... huge health problems. So we can just throw all that junk out.
So now were left with vegan. So were discussing which diet is best... High fat, Carb, or Protein or a mix.
Dr.McDougall promotes high carb low fat. There is much evidence and science out there to show this is
overall the best lifestyle eating plan out there. Now I'm talking TRUE evidence and science, not speculation,
biased studies, bro-science etc. History proves it, modern science proves it although modern man tends to hide it.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 06, 2012 1:12 pm 
Rabbit

HorseSense wrote:
Sorry if I was argumentative.

It wasn't directed at you. It's just a general observation.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 06, 2012 1:22 pm 
Rabbit

SeventhDay wrote:
So now were left with vegan. So were discussing which diet is best... High fat, Carb, or Protein or a mix.
Dr.McDougall promotes high carb low fat. There is much evidence and science out there to show this is
overall the best lifestyle eating plan out there. Now I'm talking TRUE evidence and science, not speculation,
biased studies, bro-science etc.
History proves it, modern science proves it although modern man tends to hide it.

Show me your science and I show you the science of other people claiming as well that they have found the holy nutrition grail. And of course all of their studies are "valid" as well... See my post about study contests above, I don't want to repeat myself.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 12, 2014 5:15 pm 
Rabbit

I used to do the starch based thing until I got into weight training. I simply couldn't increase my performance with the low fat/protein levels. Dr. Mcdougall and his pals didn't really do the athlete thing anyway. They target audience are fat 40 year something folk who are at death's door. This website is mostly for athletes who are incidentally vegan.

Esselystn jr. made it work, so I don't know what to make of that.

But I'll keep my healthy sex drive and weight training gains over shaving seconds off my run/cycling times if it means eating olive oil, nuts, and seeds.

Did anyone else get gas problems with a low fat diet?

PostPosted: Sun Jan 12, 2014 6:45 pm 
Rabbit

Veganessentials I'm with you on this one. You seem to be very wise on the subject of nutrition. I to try and follow 40/30/30 which seems to be proven scientifically on another bodybuilding site where they make their living at it. Some of which are medically enhanced and their diet are major factors in their physique.

Horsesense I have never tried the 80/10/10 but I do know of 1 bodybuilder who looks dam good eating that way. My resent research has not proofed to me the benefits. I do believe we need to listen to our bodies and what works for one might not work for others. I do include some starchy carbs in my diet.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 29, 2014 5:01 pm 
Finch

I believe that some people who have problems with starch diet may actually have a problem with certain starchy foods and not the starch per se. Then ,when they change diet and stop or reduce eating those foods that were causing the problem, they feel better and believe the problem was the high starch instead of those specific foods.
Myself, having to deal with leaky gut, while following a starch solution program, make use only of roots and avoid all grains. To some people, avoiding gluten grains could be enough. I rarely see this issue addressed in such discussions and imo it's an important one.