Dr.McDougall -- The Starch Solution

I believe that some people who have problems with starch diet may actually have a problem with certain starchy foods and not the starch per se. Then ,when they change diet and stop or reduce eating those foods that were causing the problem, they feel better and believe the problem was the high starch instead of those specific foods.

Myself, having to deal with leaky gut, while following a starch solution program, make use only of roots and avoid all grains. To some people, avoiding gluten grains could be enough. I rarely see this issue addressed in such discussions and imo it's an important one.

• 2 years later...

I love a healthy nutritional debate! (I'm not including myself, I'll just toss in my two pennies)

I was raised that carbs were evil, carbs will make you fat, atkins this, low carb that, keto keto. I have disordered eating patterns that span from teenage to adulthood (I'm almost 30) because of this one side idea that carbs were the devil bobby.

I was overjoyed when I saw Dr McDougall on youtube and listened to what he had to say because for once, someone wasn't demonizing carbs.

I never jumped on the vegan wagon for animal rights like so many have (I'm terrible, I know) I went vegan because of my IBS and my destroyed digestive tract because of the years of disordered eating that I had. ( animal rights are a close second in this) My diet is mostly vegetable based carbs (potatoes, all kinds of potatoes and root veggies) I can mono meal on potatoes like noone's business and be so very happy. Occasionally, I'll do a pasta dish or a hispanic dish with spanish style rice and beans. Instant oatmeal makes me happy. I don't do much fake meat because it's expensive but I do enjoy it, and see/feel no ill effects. I steer away from fats outside of coconut and avocado because my body just can't digest it. So I feel like a diet..as in how one eats..really is based on how one feels about what they are eating and how the food reacts with their body. I think I'm on high carb, moderate protein, minimal fat. I couldn't give you a percentage of each macro though. I have a "food baby" at night and a flat belly in the morning, I feel wonderful, for the first time in my life I'm actually happy with what I eat and the food that I eat.

I don't think we can do a one size fits all diet for all humans. We're not in the wild, we're not even in the same environment nor habitats. All kinds of shit affects what our bodies can and cannot process. I know guys who do great as raw vegans, it's not for me. I know guys who do great on fake meats and vegan pizzas, it's not for me. (Though I can digest a good vegan pizza) My wife is a type 1 diabetic and I can assure you, high carb is definitely not for her lol.

It comes down to you doing you and me doing me. If our bloodwork is textbook, if our stool is easily passable, if our energy levels and hormone levels are balanced and optimal then I don't see anything wrong with eating what keeps you healthy and happy. And if that includes modifying some boxed cake mix to make vegan chocolate cake, go for it!

Just as a side note:I can't express the relief i feel being able to eat something without the fear of going into a relapse of disordered eating, that to me is worth more than anything anyone negative has to say about how I eat.

• 2 weeks later...
I love a healthy nutritional debate! (I'm not including myself, I'll just toss in my two pennies)

I was raised that carbs were evil, carbs will make you fat, atkins this, low carb that, keto keto. I have disordered eating patterns that span from teenage to adulthood (I'm almost 30) because of this one side idea that carbs were the devil bobby.

I was overjoyed when I saw Dr McDougall on youtube and listened to what he had to say because for once, someone wasn't demonizing carbs.

I never jumped on the vegan wagon for animal rights like so many have (I'm terrible, I know) I went vegan because of my IBS and my destroyed digestive tract because of the years of disordered eating that I had. ( animal rights are a close second in this) My diet is mostly vegetable based carbs (potatoes, all kinds of potatoes and root veggies) I can mono meal on potatoes like noone's business and be so very happy. Occasionally, I'll do a pasta dish or a hispanic dish with spanish style rice and beans. Instant oatmeal makes me happy. I don't do much fake meat because it's expensive but I do enjoy it, and see/feel no ill effects. I steer away from fats outside of coconut and avocado because my body just can't digest it. So I feel like a diet..as in how one eats..really is based on how one feels about what they are eating and how the food reacts with their body. I think I'm on high carb, moderate protein, minimal fat. I couldn't give you a percentage of each macro though. I have a "food baby" at night and a flat belly in the morning, I feel wonderful, for the first time in my life I'm actually happy with what I eat and the food that I eat.

I don't think we can do a one size fits all diet for all humans. We're not in the wild, we're not even in the same environment nor habitats. All kinds of shit affects what our bodies can and cannot process. I know guys who do great as raw vegans, it's not for me. I know guys who do great on fake meats and vegan pizzas, it's not for me. (Though I can digest a good vegan pizza) My wife is a type 1 diabetic and I can assure you, high carb is definitely not for her lol.

It comes down to you doing you and me doing me. If our bloodwork is textbook, if our stool is easily passable, if our energy levels and hormone levels are balanced and optimal then I don't see anything wrong with eating what keeps you healthy and happy. And if that includes modifying some boxed cake mix to make vegan chocolate cake, go for it!

Just as a side note:I can't express the relief i feel being able to eat something without the fear of going into a relapse of disordered eating, that to me is worth more than anything anyone negative has to say about how I eat.

Can you give me a example of a typical day of eating ?

What fats do you consume in a day?

Breakfast is typically some kind of oatmeal

Lunch is either leftovers from the night before or a peanut butter jam sandwich or a mono meal of potatoes

Dinner is rice and beans, or pasta, or faux meat or a mono meal of potatoes if I didn't have them yet for the day

I think I stated I don't eat much fat outside of coconut and avocado, and that's pretty much it, plus the peanut butter for lunch. The rice and beans has a splash of olive oil in it. My body doesn't respond well to fat. I love nuts and seeds but I usually don't eat them because they're expensive, they can trigger some overeating tendencies for me and my body expels them pretty violently.

• 2 weeks later...