Post subject: The debate on intermittent fasting continues
PostPosted: Sat Jul 14, 2012 11:24 am 
VBB Moderator

Is it right for you?

http://www.soheeleefitness.com/nutritio ... t-for-you/

Post subject: Re: The debate on intermittent fasting continues
PostPosted: Mon Jul 16, 2012 10:56 am 
Manatee

I usually go 16-18hrs. between my last meal of the day and lunch the next day. I seldom eat any breakfast.

I do this because I have read it is better for your overall general health because it gives your body time to repair itself. When you eat, your body must produce enzymes and breakdown/digest the food which puts a certain amount of stress on your body. If your body is in this state constantly it doesn't have the opporunity to heal your body as much.

The down side is you must be careful not to over eat when you do eat as the article mentions. I have read it is better to eat more often than to overeat if you only eat once or twice a day.

This also slows down your metabolism which slows the aging process and is actually a good thing for your overall health BUT can make it harder to lose weight or easier to gain weight if you cheat.

I read where a lot of bodybuilders are doing this now and I read the website of a fitness/bodybuilder guy in Sweden(can't recall his name at the moment) who has been doing this and training others to do it for years with great success. They were not vegan though.

I think this is a practise many may not agree with though.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 16, 2012 12:13 pm 
VBB Moderator

Definitely seems like something you have to be very careful and disciplined with if you are going to practice. Sounds like it would be easy for someone to half-ass this concept and cause themselves some health issues.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 16, 2012 1:11 pm 
Manatee

C.O. wrote:
Definitely seems like something you have to be very careful and disciplined with if you are going to practice. Sounds like it would be easy for someone to half-ass this concept and cause themselves some health issues.

I agree.

I would not recommend it for someone trying to lose weight. I don't think it should be done until someone reaches a weight they are happy with because it should slow down your metabolism and make weight lose harder to acheive.

But this isn't what the Swedish bodybuilder guy believes, his name is Martin Berkhan. He can be found at http://www.leangains.com/ and apparently he uses it as a weight lose method. I actually discovered him on here on the first page of the thread viewtopic.php?f=6&t=19399

He has low bodyfat and has many success stories/pics from his students on his website, so it is hard to argue with his results. This is assuming that no steroids or similar products are involved, which he states he doesn't use, so I will take him at his word.