hi

hello all ,

i'm new on this board and allso to the vegan world i've been forced to leave all meat products because of an alergy i've developed to animal products (milk,meat,eggs...) , a nutritionist has given me a diet but the only problem is that it lacks protein i'm used to 160gr+ of it a day and i hardly get 80grs now

can someone please direct me to a supplements free high protein diet

allso i know most of you here don't drink milk atall ... but from what i understand goat milk is much healthier and is o.k , am i right ?

thanks in advance .

I'm not sure how much you weigh but 80g protein might be all that you need. But for more protein just eat more food, just about everything has protein. What is typical around here is peas, tofu, beans and rice, pasta, nuts, peanut butter, soy milk, whole grains, bananas.

yep kinda stupid of me not to say my stats

i weigh 98kgs (approx. 200 pounds), 16ish% bf ,1.90(6'3) and have been bodybuilding for 5 years now , my main concern is eating to much tofu because i have read several articles claiming that tofu protein is not good since it is linked to estrogen (i must admit i didn't realy read into it i will now but i remember the points) which is not good for male b.b , allso i understand that in order to get protein from all amino acids i need to combine several types of vegan proteins rice+pees , the problem is that i'm getting to much cals with not enough proteins not to mention i'm going bunkers without my meat but the plus side is that i'm loosing weight and as much as i hate to admit it (maybe not the right place for someone who likes meat like me to write ) i do feel generaly better : more alert and i can't realy explain it ... i think lighter is the word .

please correct me if i wrote something wrong and again thanks in advance.

the problem is...i'm going bunkers without my meat but the plus side is that i'm loosing weight and as much as i hate to admit it (maybe not the right place for someone who likes meat like me to write ) i do feel generaly better : more alert and i can't realy explain it ... i think lighter is the word .

and the other "plus side" of your new vegan diet is that you arent supporting this: www.meetyourmeat.com and there is nothing funny "lol" about that.

YOu feel better because a vegan diet is healthier for you than an animal centred diet (including "goat's milk"). The stats show that vegans generally live longer and are at a reduced risk of degenerative diseases like cancer, diabetes, hypertension, heart disease, etc. I strongly recommend that you pick up and read the book THRIVE by Brendan Brazier, vegan Ironman Triathlon champ, and also Becoming Vegan (cant recall the author). These are full of info and proper vegan nutrition, and it is important for your own health that you READ and learn about proper vegan nutrition. Going vegan shouldnt be done blindly or without a solid knowledge and understanding of a vegan diet. Make sure you become an informed vegan.

In the meantime, welcome and I am sure Robert will reply soon. He has one of the best physiques and he is 100% natural and vegan, and has no problem getting what he needs on a vegan diet, including protein. Here is a good pic of him:

http://i28.photobucket.com/albums/c210/VeganBodybuilder/posing1.jpg

Oh ya, and welcome to the board. You will find lots of info here at VB&F also, so stick around.

First, on your protein needs, you might find this interesting (research shows protein needs, even for body builder, are much lower than you think):

http://www.vrg.org/journal/vj2003issue4/vj2003issue4weight.htm

Second, while popular saying, incomplete proteins and protein combing is a untrue myth.

First, here are some short editorials on it:

http://www.naturesbestnews.com/protein.htm

http://food.consumercide.com/proteinmyth.html

You can find many more just searching for combining protein.

Second, protein is just nitrogen and some other elements and amino acids, with all amino acids present to some degree, or the protein would not form, as I understand it.

When people opine that a protein is incomplete, they imply that an amino acid is missing. That is not the case. The term incomplete is just a editorial label placed on any sources whose one gram of protein has even one essential amino acid below 100% of what you would find in the label ideal protein profile (which is arbitrary - no direct human research to label what is ideal - it is pretty much taken for granted based on rats, who synthesize amino acids differently than we do.)

On higher percentage (10%+ of the total calories are from protein) plant-based protein sources, these lower essential amino acids are going to be in the 75% (grains) to 95% range (dark leafy vegetables.) Also, many beans, nuts and legumes exceed the 100% profile on all essential amino acids but on the plant sources labeled incomplete the profile is usually in the 75% to 95% range. Some lower protein sources (lower than 8%) have lower amino acid profiles but with their lower protein amounts, you are likely not counting on them for most of your protein needs, so it is mute point.

What this means:

Let's use brown rice, for an example. Brown rice is often called an incomplete protein but in comparison to the so-called ideal profile, its amino acid profile shows it to have the same or more of all essential amino acids, except lower on Lysine.

With this means, in numbers:

Let's say you ate two servings (two cups cooked) or brown rice. That would give you about 10 grams of protein, per http://www.nutritiondata.com/facts-B00001-01c21U6.html

With that 10 grams of protein, you would get the same or more of all essential amino acids, as the ideal profile, except Lysine. With Lysine, you would get 75% (you can check same reference, as in last paragraph for this) of the amount you would get of 10 grams of an ideal protein. Or in other words, you would get the same amount of lysine as in 7.5 grams (75% times 10 grams) of an ideal protein profile gave you.

Now, how does one translates 75% to mean zero, as the incomplete protein advocates imply? You do not; they are clearly wrong (either an agenda or simply unknowledgeable.)

Also, something interesting is hamburger meat. Let's take 10% fat grade hamburger meat (about what grade, a sit-down restaurant would serve.) It has a 79% protein profile, per http://www.nutritiondata.com/facts-B00001-01c21bu.html. By the definition, it is an incomplete protein, same as brown rice but have you ever heard anyone say, "better watch out hamburger is an incomplete protein"?