My clean bulk - critique would be highly appreciated

z0rzz

Hey guys,

I'm attempting a (general) clean bulk for the next few months and was wondering if people could critique my diet. I've never done a clean bulk before, let alone while I've been vegan, so I'm sure it needs more work.

Current Stats:

Weight: 198 lbs

Bodyfat Percentage: 8-9%

Goal: 212-215 lbs by January 1st

Meal 1

1 Hemp Bagel Calories: 280 Protein: 19g Carbohydrates: 22g Fat: 8g

1 cup Oatmeal Calories: 300 Protein: 10g Carbohydrates: 46g Fat: 5g

1 cup Hemp Milk Calories: 110 Protein: 2g Carbohydrates: 12g Fat: 5g

2 tbsp nut butter Calories: 180 Protein: 8g Carbohydrates: 0g Fat: 16g

Totals: Calories: 870 Protein: 39g Carbohydrates: 80 Fat: 34g

Meal 2/Preworkout Meal (This one can vary since I eat whatever my university dining hall offers)

2 cups brown rice Calories: 300 Protein: 6g Carbohydrates: 64g Fat: 3g

Fruit (Apple, Banana, or Melon) Calories: 100g Protein: 1g Carbohydrates: 25g Fat: 0

Vegan burger Calories: 240 Protein: 24g Carbohydrates: 20g Fat: 6g

Whole Wheat Bun Calories: 200 Protein: 10g Carbohydrates: 34g Fat: 4g

Veggies Calories: 100 Protein: 7g Carbohydrates: 12g Fat: 1g

Totals: Calories: 840 Protein: 48g Carbohydrates: 155g Fat: 14g

Intra-Workout:

1.5 scoops Scivation Xtend BCAAs

Post-Workout Meal:

1 scoop Vega Protein: Calories: 120 Protein: 26g Carbohydrates: 4g Fat: 0

1 cup pineapple: Calories: 100 Protein: 1g Carbohydrates: 25g Fat: 0

1 cup quinoa Calories: 300 Protein: 12g Carbohydrates: 48g Fat: 5g

1 tbsp Nut Butter Calories: 90 Protein: 8g Carbohydrates: 2g Fat: 8g

Totals: Calories: 610 Protein: 47g Carbohydrates: 79g Fat: 13g

Before-Bed Meal:

1 cup lentils Calories: 230 Protein: 18g Carbohydrates: 25g Fat: 1g

5 oz Seitan Calories: 180 Protein: 37g Carbohydrates: 0 Fat: 2.5g

OR 1 serving tempeh Calories: 200 Protein: 22g Carbohydrates: 0 Fat: 9g

1 tbsp hemp seeds Calories: 60 Protein: 4g Carbohydrates: 0 Fat: 4g

Nut Butter Wheat Sandwich Calories: 340 calories Protein: 16g Carbohydrates: 20g Fat: 15g

Totals: Calories: 810/830 calories Protein: 75g/60g Carbohydrates: 45g Fat: 22g/29g

Final Totals:

Calories: 3160

Protein: 209g/194g

Carbohydrates: 359g

Fat: 83g/90g

My biggest worries are that I'm not eating enough carbs and too much fat. I'm unsure about my protein consumption, either. It's hard for me to tell just because my base lean mass is so heavy (even before I lifted weights - I have not weighed less than 170lbs in 5 years and I've only been lifting for about 1.5 years now).

Where do you get hemp bagels, or do you make them yourself? If you do please post the recipe.

I would suggest that you eat more fruits and vegetables, especially greens. You can get a lot of carbs from fruit and your body needs the vitamins and minerals from fruits and veggies to help it absorb/use/get the most out of the rest of your bulking foods.

Looks like you are off to a good start. I also suggest looking through the journal section here on the forum. See what others are eating that are working on bulking. Post questions on those people's journals that seem to be actively using the forum and working towards the same goals as you such as bulking. That will be your best strategy as far as getting more quality feedback for yourself.

-Dylan

I definitely do NOT have the patience to bake bagels on a normal basis, hahaha. I actually buy them frozen at a local Whole Foods - they are MIRACLE breakfast foods with their macronutrient ratio and easy preparation. The company that makes them is called French Meadow Bakery: http://www.frenchmeadow.com/products/bagels/hemp-bagels. They have a store locator to see if a nearby grocery store carries them for you.

Thanks for the advice! Shortly after I put this up, I decided to try and jump up to 3.4-3.5k calories with fruit and vegetables. I usually cook about 1-2 servings of vegetables in my meal before bed (forgot to put it in) as well. I USED TO have an awesome blender over the summer where I would almost always make a delicious green postworkout smoothie with bananas, berries, and tons of kale, but my friend currently has it and he has been difficult with giving it back. :/

Bah, I'm an idiot. I never thought to see what some of the more experienced people on the board have been writing in their logs. I'm going to do just that right now. Again, huge thanks for the advice!

Yeah, check out some of the logs. I don't like naming the ones I like but there are some really good detailed ones in the journal section.

Your diet and macro's look pretty good. I wouldn't say your carbs are that low TBH, do you know how your fat breaks down? I'm guessing the 90g is total, what is the 83g part ~ unsaturated?

Agree with Dylan on the greens, more is better in that particular case haha.

Whoops sorry, didn't make it apparent. In my last meal I either have tempeh or seitan, the 83g is for the former and the 90g is for the latter.

How long can boiled/stir-fried vegetables last in the fridge? I think my biggest issue is that I'm unsure how to prepare vegetables ahead of time unlike the rest of my meals - I'm going to start investing in quick frozen veggie bags.

I'm not absolutely 100% in tune with my body, but generally higher-fat diets don't have that bad of an impact on my physique. When the time comes to start trimming off the pounds, I can generally cut off most of the fat off my body through diet until 5-6% bf. By then my fat gets very stubborn and I have to do a ton of cardio to burn it off.