Trueprotein.com vs Vega Sport Performance Protein

punker24

Hey everyone, I recently switched to a vegetarian diet and am geting off of whey so I have just been doing some personal research to see the differences in types of protein with what they offer, price, concentration of protein, etc. and found my way to this site.

Right now I've been taking Vega Sport Performance Protein, but just discovered the Trueprotein.com/Truenutrition.com 70/30 pea/rice blends that people here seem to use after reading through some threads. I'm just wondering, with the awesome concentration of grams protein you can get for that price with True Protein blend, are there any benefits of Vega Sport to make up for the huge difference in cost?

I guess the main things im looking to differentiate are the taste and the value of other additives in Vega Sport compared to the straight 70/30 mix in True Protein. Also (this may be somewhat subjective) but aside from adding a sweetener and a flavor to the True Protein blend, if there are other ingredients of value compared to Vega or just in general, is there anything else that needs/should be added in the carbs/fibers/fats category or are those dependent on your diet?

thanks a ton

• 5 months later...

punker I seen that site too and want to blend my own, Looking for the best combination to form the most complete protein. I would like to add hemp since it seems to have more bcaa then the other two. Curious about flavors two should I get it unsweetened and add my own? I was thinking 40/40/20 Pea, rice, hemp but been hearing bad things about the flavor of pea protein and causing gas? Has anyone out there experimented with their own blends Vega sport sounds awesome but ridiculously expensive.

punker I seen that site too and want to blend my own, Looking for the best combination to form the most complete protein. I would like to add hemp since it seems to have more bcaa then the other two. Curious about flavors two should I get it unsweetened and add my own? I was thinking 40/40/20 Pea, rice, hemp but been hearing bad things about the flavor of pea protein and causing gas? Has anyone out there experimented with their own blends Vega sport sounds awesome but ridiculously expensive.

They actually have a vegan blend that they believe is the "optimal" formula. This doesn't stop you from adding BCAA's or glutamine or whatever else you might deem necessary.

Response to oldlunk:

I find vega sport (powders) very easy to digest --and I have tons of experience with them (I've had periods of time surviving on almost nothing else).

The reasons why those protein powders are expensive is precisely that they give you pea protein in a form that's reasonably good-tasting and easy to digest. If you just buy baker's pea protein (i.e., not intended to be eaten raw, but used in baking muffins, etc.) you take your chances on those issues --but, yeah, it's dramatically cheaper in that format.

I'm going through hell right now trying to sort out the options for ordering protein in Europe.

I just ordered one pound of pea and rice with the digestive enzyme added. I will experiment with different ratios to come up with the best taste and texture. I opted out of hemp do to bad taste and texture from what I already have here at home. I also bought the flavor additive separate so I can experiment with that also. I'm looking to add it plain into some foods to boost protein content and plain hemp so far is not working bad taste and to gritty. Research is showing that these proteins will not denature (breakdown) under 400 deg. So I should be able to make a high protein veggie burger,pancake,muffin etc.

I did order 1lbs. of 45/45/10 pea,rice, sachi with digestive enzyme and vanilla birthday cake flavor to try. The cost per lbs. with shipping is at $12.52 so is way cheaper then any you can buy. Ingredients and are natural non gmo and BCAA's should be around 5000 mg. per serving and 23g protein with only 3 carbs. Exact numbers will come when finally ratio is found.

100_2658.JPG.29e80d12d45aecfc806591b2e83fb350.JPG

100_2659.JPG.3825fb49249ee9d87ee371c31a782a1c.JPG

Wow, thanks Lunk, really interesting.

I wouldn't end up doing research/experiments of the type you're doing, because I normally treat the protein powder as a meal substitute (i.e., I eat the powder precisely when I'm NOT cooking) --but I think you've got a really cool approach to trying to integrate the powder into your normal meals.

I have been doing the 70% pea / 30% rice mix for a couple of years now. To the point where I order 16 pounds to get the extra 5% off.

Vega is awesome and I love it but TP is just so much cheaper.

How do you find the digestability of that mix. I've spoiled myself with vega sport for years and now that their mix is essentially just Pea and Rice I find it's destroying my stomach.

Do you add anything else?

Chris do you find that mix to be the best tasting and texture? Do you get it pre flavored and which flavors have you liked? I ordered 1lbs with the premium vanilla. and two pounds plan with the digestive enzyme with a flavor pack choc. peanut butter cup.