Worst insomnia products ever.. This is a bit gross for some

All topics relating to health, diet, nutrition programs and any questions you might have about general health.

Moderators: Mini Forklift Ⓥ, C.O., Richard, robert, SyrLinus

mythil
Manatee

Worst insomnia products ever.. This is a bit gross for some

#1 Postby mythil » Wed Nov 28, 2012 9:30 pm

Well one thing that people might not know about me is that I get bouts of insomnia followed by periods of long "crashing" sleeping sessions to catch up until getting back to something more normal pattern wise.

I've never taken any pills or anything like that for sleeping problems before but I thought I would give some a go. On this not I took some over the counter pills that are a natural sedative.. Well instead of putting me to sleep I ended up pooping myself inside out.. Soo yea, kept me up all night for a totally different reason!
"Hard work beats talent when talent doesn’t work hard." - Tim Notke
"Success consists of going from failure to failure without loss of enthusiasm." - Sir Winston Churchill

beforewisdom
Stegosaurus

Re: Worst insomnia products ever.. This is a bit gross for s

#2 Postby beforewisdom » Wed Nov 28, 2012 9:52 pm

Many sleep medications are addictive and have nasty side effects. Often better results can be gotten with a program of various behavioral changes done consistently over time. I highly recommend the book
"Say Goodnight To Insomnia"

Good Luck

"The plural of anecdote is not data." (Roger Brinner)

mythil
Manatee

#3 Postby mythil » Thu Nov 29, 2012 12:57 am

beforewisdom wrote:Many sleep medications are addictive and have nasty side effects. Often better results can be gotten with a program of various behavioral changes done consistently over time. I highly recommend the book

Good Luck

I would do but mine isn't behavioral (though I'm not saying that it wouldn't help). I have a very rare eye condition which makes me visually disabled but also means that my eyes are still trying to do things while I'm trying to sleep.. So yea that.
"Hard work beats talent when talent doesn’t work hard." - Tim Notke
"Success consists of going from failure to failure without loss of enthusiasm." - Sir Winston Churchill

Mini Forklift Ⓥ
VBB Moderator, Powerlifter & Ultrarunner

#4 Postby Mini Forklift Ⓥ » Thu Nov 29, 2012 5:12 am

Plenty of natural alternatives that can often work well - look into things like 5-HTP, melatonin, valerian, hops, zizyphus, lactium to name a few.

Main thing for me is going straight to bed when I feel tired, I find once I miss that it's another 3 or 4hrs until I get tired again and I'll likely struggle to get to sleep. Sorry to hear about the pooping, not good.

beforewisdom
Stegosaurus

#5 Postby beforewisdom » Thu Nov 29, 2012 10:57 am

mythil wrote:
beforewisdom wrote:Many sleep medications are addictive and have nasty side effects. Often better results can be gotten with a program of various behavioral changes done consistently over time. I highly recommend the book

Good Luck

I would do but mine isn't behavioral (though I'm not saying that it wouldn't help). I have a very rare eye condition which makes me visually disabled but also means that my eyes are still trying to do things while I'm trying to sleep.. So yea that.

The solutions for better sleep are behavioral, not the problems the solutions are for.

beforewisdom
Stegosaurus

#6 Postby beforewisdom » Thu Nov 29, 2012 11:02 am

mythil wrote:

Good Luck

The solutions for better sleep are behavioral, not the problems the solutions are for.

Return to “Health & Nutrition Programs”