Who hate calorie counting?

mythil

Because I can tell you, I do.

I've never been very "specific" about my diet, I just know (as many here do) what foods are good and bad and I just use those. I also use the "hand rule". Basically:

Open hand amount of vegetables

Closed fist amount of carbs

Palm sized portion of meat (or in our case any protein like food item)

Then I let my protein shakes and breakfast make up for more protein with added fruit in them so I'm also getting my fruit to.

Today I decided "Well I'll go and try to work out how many calories I eat a day" and so on.. It's amazingly confusing if you're like me and make everything from scratch and don't measure everything.. I tried once or twice and did not get it right, so right now I can't be bothered I'll just keep on doing what I'm doing.

I agree, just do what you do. I've never counted calories, I'll adjust my diet depending on whether I need to increase or decrease bodyweight. As long as you're eating healthily and consistently, I'd say that would be more important. Knowing your Basal Metabolic Rate is useful and interesting, but there are so many variables with calorie counting that to me almost makes is seem pointless. I'm sure there are better ways to make the gains you want!

i used to count calories when i was a carnivore and hated it. such a pain. since being being a low fat vegan i just stuff my face everyday with as much food as i want and getting leaner with less training than i used to do. i suppose if i ate alot of things like avacados, nuts, nut butters and oils i would have to start watching more carefully.

I stopped counting calories cause I was going crazy lol. I do limit the amount of oil I use which I have narrowed down to coconut oil for my sweet potatoes other than that I just eat and maintain my weight with no problem. Now when I need to start dropping the weight I might count them a bit but nothing like I used to

I don't really use oil.. From time to time I will stur fry stuff which I do need some oil for but it burns off quick. I do use a little sunflower vegan butter as it's fortified with lots of things I could be lacking so "just in case" but only have it once a day either on toast or on my vegetables.

I was actually told my diet didn't have ENOUGH salt in it so I used a saltier soy sauce which fixed my problem.. Think of that, with all the salt in peoples bad diets today mine didn't have ENOUGH SALT

hey, whats the name of the vegan sunflower butter you use? what are the symptoms of not having enough salt? i wonder about my levels sometimes! i work with people who eat macdonalds 3 times a day etc.... there salt levels must be so high.

It's called Pure and it's made in the UK I believe.

As far as too little salt, muscle cramps is what I got.

I had an app on my phone that counted calories. It was pretty cool at the end of the day to see how everything added up. But I didn’t stick with it, only did it for about three months. I feel if I’m hungry I’ll eat something, if not then I wont. I’m not going to stress about reaching a goal everyday.

Baked potatoes taste good with salt. Don’t know why people feel they have to cover them in sour cream and bacon. I'll have to try it with soy crumbles and daiya next time.

I stopped calorie counting a while ago and starting eating more instinctively and after a while, for fun, counted my calories for a week and found myself consuming around 3,000-3,500kcal no matter what I was eating. I guess my body truly knows what it needs more than some calculator online.

I used calorie counting a few years ago to lose about 48 pounds. It isn't that bad. I think people awfulize it. I found it to be much more livable AND EFFECTIVE than many of the nutty dietary things people come up with.

It all depends on how you do it I guess

- don't cut back more than enough to lose a pound a week

- buy measuring cups and a good food scale

Most people eat the same things most of the time so after a few weeks it becomes even more easy