Vegan Bodybuilding & Fitness

Healthy Food Defines You
It is currently Sat Oct 25, 2014 9:52 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Which of the following three oils you do you like the taste of best on your salad?
Hemp seed oil 33%  33%  [ 4 ]
Flax seed oil 8%  8%  [ 1 ]
Cold pressed olive oil 33%  33%  [ 4 ]
Other 25%  25%  [ 3 ]
Total votes : 12
 Post subject: Flax, Hemp or Olive Oil on your salads?
PostPosted: Sat May 27, 2006 2:12 am 
Stegosaurus

I just tasted hemp oil for the first time if you could believe it, and I WAY prefer it to flax oil. Hemp oil has a slightly lemon taste to it, which I much prefer to Flax seed oil's nutty kind of taste.

Is it just me or do you also get that slightly lemony taste from hemp oil?

How about you? What do you like and why?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun May 28, 2006 12:49 pm 
Elephant

Of the three, I'd choose olive oil because of flavor (flax oil? blech!) and because it is the least apt to go rancid fast. BUT I usually prefer naked salads, with just veggies, a source of fat (to help with absoption of antioxidants and fat-soluble vitamins and nutrients), like avocado or sunflower seeds or olives.

Just a dash of extra virgin, cold-pressed olive oil and a sprinkle of lemon or vinegar is okay, but I don't really like using oils that much, as they are processed and 'un-whole' foods.

I've never tried hemp oil, prefering the whole seeds or the ground protein powder. Some hemp protein powder tastes pretty nasty, while other tastes good, so I'm assuming it would be the same with the oil. What brand did you try? Nutiva is the best tasting I've tried yet in seeds or protein powder.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jun 10, 2006 11:27 am 
Finch

i love hemp oil. i've never noticed a lemon taste to it, but i put it on my salads, in my protein shakes, on grilled veggies, just about everything because of the omega 3 profile it has.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jun 15, 2006 2:19 am 
Stegosaurus

I don't even really eat salads anymore, I just grab whole heads of romaine lettuce and eat like an animal, well...not like an animal, but I definitley don't use dressing.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jun 15, 2006 10:31 am 
Elephant

GoodbyeGirl wrote:
I put it on my salads, in my protein shakes, on grilled veggies, just about everything because of the omega 3 profile it has.

If you're looking to increase omega 3's in your diet, flax is better. Hemp actually has more omega 6's than omega 3's. It's got pretty much the best ratio of 6's to 3's of any food, which is great if you don't eat close to a SAD, BUT if you use other types of oils that are high in omega 6's, it's best to have both hemp and flax to balance out the omega 6 excess.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jul 03, 2006 10:38 am 
Manatee

Right now, I don't use anything on a salad. I load up a plate with raw veggies and just snack on them plain all day. But, if I do have a salad, I prefer olive oil. :D

Post subject: Oils
PostPosted: Wed Jul 05, 2006 11:40 am 
I use olive oil mostly but nothing beats a good peanut oil/soysauce mix for me