Vegan Bodybuilding & Fitness

Healthy Food Defines You
It is currently Mon Dec 22, 2014 9:17 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: Help with calories and macronutrients!
PostPosted: Mon May 29, 2006 6:52 pm 
Rabbit

I'm back into the swing of the vegan diet but I need some help fine-tuning things. When I was originally vegan some years ago, keeping muscle was not a priority for me, so I'm unsure of the best way to go about keeping lean muscle mass without getting soft, manorexic, or "skinny-fat."

I'm 34 years old, about 5'9", and between 155-160 lbs depending on what I've been eating. From experience, I know I'm pretty comfortable walking around at 150. I lift twice a week, walk a lot, get in some cardio on off days, etc. I have no desire to become a bodybuilder or powerlifter. I will be resuming my Brazilian jiu-jitsu training shortly, probably 2-3 days a week, and possibly adding a day of boxing or muay thai, as I am possibly the worst striker ever. So my activity level during the day is "sitting on my butt at the office" and most nights will be "moderate to high."

So I'd like to cut 5-10 lbs of fat while preserving what little hard-earned muscle I have.

The only supplements I take are nutritional yeast and ground flaxseed. I try to take in a good variety of legumes, nuts, seeds, whole grains, vegetables, fruit, and these awesome high-protein, high-fiber vegan tortillas (I try to only eat one of the tortillas per day, though).

I need help figuring out:

1. How many calories I should take in per day to cut fat slowly and reasonably without sacrificing too much muscle.
2. How much protein I should take in per day.

Thanks in advance for your help!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon May 29, 2006 11:53 pm 
Stegosaurus

Driver,

The key to retaining muscle while losing fat via a good cardio program and a calorie deficit, is to weight train. I cant overemphasize this enough. Weight train to retain maximum muscle tissue.

That's all I have time to type right now, i am sure others will respond soon.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue May 30, 2006 7:31 am 
Elephant

Nat is right, also lots of water, carbs are important too. You cannot believe the trends of how people think they are bad. From what I've read its true that protein will help you keep the muscle.