making your own meal replacement drink?

All topics relating to health, diet, nutrition programs and any questions you might have about general health.

Moderators: Mini Forklift Ⓥ, C.O., Richard, robert, SyrLinus

joelbct
Manatee

making your own meal replacement drink?

#1 Postby joelbct » Wed Jun 14, 2006 8:50 pm

Hello-

To add calories to a time-crunched life, I was thinking, I already supplement protein, is there a decent inexpensive non-refined complex carbohydrate powder available? And how about fat, I would just add olive oil but that might be too strong, and I know too much flax oil can be bad, any suggestions?

If I can mix protein, carbs, and fat easily and cheaply, that would be great, has anyone done this?

Thanks,
Joel

Kathryn
Elephant

#2 Postby Kathryn » Thu Jun 15, 2006 10:40 am

I'm a believer in eating whole foods, not taking certain elements separately (carbs, fat, protein) and mixing them together, so I base any meal replacement on whole foods that contain protein, fat and carbs. In fact, the meal replacement smoothie I used to make is very close in make-up to Vega (which is what I use most of the time now).

In a base of juice or soy milk or rice milk, add hemp protein powder (protein, omega 6 and 3 essential fatty acids, some carbs), powdered maca (protein and carbs), a green supplement powder like Vitamineral Green (carbs, vitamins, minerals and enzymes--go easy on quantities of this at first, because the 'green' flavor takes some getting used to), ground flax (fiber, lignans, omega 3 fatty acids), frozen fruit (carbs, fiber and antioxidants--I like strawberries, sometimes frozen bananas--take ripe bananas, peel, chop and freeze). I also add the 'innards' of two capsules of mangosteen/blue-green algae, which acts as an antiinflammatory.

CollegeB
Elephant

#3 Postby CollegeB » Thu Jun 15, 2006 6:03 pm

I go with ground up oats, peanut butter, spirulina, protein powder, flax seed, banana, and water. I think thats all I put in my last batch of meal drink.

veganpotter

Oats

#4 Postby veganpotter » Mon Jun 19, 2006 7:52 pm

Like stated earlier oats are great...I used to use alot of soymilk in my smoothies and it cost me...I recently discovered(about a month ago) that with the fruit...grinding oat in your smoothies is alot like having soymilk in it.

Return to “Health & Nutrition Programs”