Juice vs. Raw fruit

I was reading Thrive and there was a recipe for a shake where Brendan Brazier specifically says to use an actual orange rather than orange juice. Does buying orange juice or apple juice from the store (even if it is pretty fresh like odwalla) in some way reduce the nutritional value of the food from its natural form? I wouldn't think so, but I was wondering if anyone had an comments.

I think it does, and I'm guilty of buying crap orange juice too. But the BEST orange juice I've ever had is the 100% good stuff.

There must be something that goes on during the packaging or bottling of the juice that would in some way reduce its nutritional value. I don't know enough about it to say, but hopefully someone else can chime in and respond.

Man, a few years ago when I was studying Nutrition in Utah, I knew a heck of a lot of information about this kind of stuff. As you know, much of it has left me, but I'm going to start opening up some of those text books again and doing more reading/learning in general.

I'd like to get up to the Brendan Brazier level of health someday.

Anyone know more about this juice thing?

Basically juicing things yourself. Take the orange and make your own juice. And after reading Big Bwii's interview on the front of www.veganbodybuilding.com I learned that not even all fruit is as pure as we think.

So I'd buy organic fruit and then juice it yourself to get the best results...I know its easy to say, but probably takes much more time and money...but I think it is something I should be doing too.

We can experiment with it next week when I'm up there.

Yeah...you can invest in a fruit press or one of those cheap manual citrus juicers.

You really need to be careful buying any juice from the store unless you know it's squeezed fresh like some stores do....once me and my wife went to whole foods and she wanted something to eat so I said I'd get a juice because the sign said "fresh juices" I asked how their oranges were stored she said our OJ is juiced and then frozen and thored out again to use again...so I asked about the other juices...the lady looked at me funny and said oh...our other juices are from concentrate.

Also realise that Fruits and fresh juice will oxidize within ten 15 mins of being exposed to the air.

Bigbwii is correct, it is most definitely the pasturization that

kills everything (in my opinion)... there is a lot of things that go on with orange juice from tree to super market.

This pasturization takes place to avoid E.coli bacteria contamination that

can occur, as well as other bacterias that could exist. It is law in the US

that every drink be pasturized before it is sent to the super market.

Also, if you're buying orange juice from the store(especially somewhere like

Safeway, Fred Meyers etc.) be aware those

orange juices will be owned by a global corporations

(Dean Foods, PepsiCo., & Odwalla is owned by Coca Cola.. etc..), who have no interest in the public health.

Try and buy from companies you know and trust, especially local organic

ones. For instance, Evolution juices(similar too Odwalla only small scale,

based in Cali.) DON'T pasturize there orange juice, they use a similar

method to kill of unwanted bacteria involving sending an electric

current thru the juice. Therefore the juice maintains it's nutrients and fiber.

A local company that does this same thing, is Genesis juices.

When I buy juice from New Seasons or the CO-OP , these are who I buy.

But just keep in mind, it's probably WAY cheaper just to buy a lot of organic oranges, and make some yourself.

(the typical price for a half gallon of Evolution OJ runs over $8.00 usually)

Ahh yes I remember not to buy juices with vitamin D added because it is apparently a derivative from milk.

Actually, milk doesn't naturally contain any vitamin D, it is added.

Vitamiin D that is added to foods can either be in the form of D3 ('not for me") or cholecalciferol (looks similar to "cholesterol"), which is usually derived from fish, or D2 ("for me and you") ergocalciferol ('ergo' - 'therefore' in latin : '' it's D2, ergo, I can eat it').

Bigbwii is correct, it is most definitely the pasturization that

kills everything (in my opinion)... there is a lot of things that go on with orange juice from tree to super market.

This pasturization takes place to avoid E.coli bacteria contamination that

can occur, as well as other bacterias that could exist. It is law in the US

that every drink be pasturized before it is sent to the super market. I never knew that

Also, if you're buying orange juice from the store(especially somewhere like

Safeway, Fred Meyers etc.) be aware those

orange juices will be owned by a global corporations

(Dean Foods, PepsiCo., & Odwalla is owned by Coca Cola.. etc..), who have no interest in the public health.

Try and buy from companies you know and trust, especially local organic

ones. For instance, Evolution juices(similar too Odwalla only small scale,

based in Cali.) DON'T pasturize there orange juice, they use a similar

method to kill of unwanted bacteria involving sending an electric

current thru the juice. Therefore the juice maintains it's nutrients and fiber.

A local company that does this same thing, is Genesis juices.

When I buy juice from New Seasons or the CO-OP , these are who I buy.

Why is there a different law for CO-OPs and this new session place? How come they dont have to pasteurize their juices?

But just keep in mind, it's probably WAY cheaper just to buy a lot of organic oranges, and make some yourself.

(the typical price for a half gallon of Evolution OJ runs over $8.00 usually)

well...they do a form of pasturization.., just not involving heating.

Also, the laws could be different depending on the scale of the operation,

the supermarkets Odwalla reaches, are far different than the supermarkets

Evolution reaches.

I know it is illegal for them to not pasturize there juices,

but I don't know much more than that when it come to the legalities of why some are able to get around it..

I am assuming it's along the exact same lines as local dairy farmers

being able to sell RAW cows (& goats) milk (& cheeses) at there local CO-OPS.

Perhaps it's just different for locals.