Day 11 of (mostly) Raw Food Diet - and I feel awesome!

All topics relating to health, diet, nutrition programs and any questions you might have about general health.

Moderators: Mini Forklift Ⓥ, C.O., Richard, robert, SyrLinus

Ravi
Manatee

Day 11 of (mostly) Raw Food Diet - and I feel awesome!

#1 Postby Ravi » Sat Jun 17, 2006 7:50 pm

I've been on a (mostly) raw food diet and I feel outstanding. I say "mostly" because I'd estimate that 50-70% of my diet is now based on raw and water-rich foods. I am NOT vegan, though I am very close. I try to avoid any dairy or egg, but in social situations will occasionaly cave in. I AM strictly vegetarian.

My routine is:
1. Breakfast: a banana and mango or some nuts and carrots or whatever veggie I have sitting around
2. Lunch: a monser salad with wild greens, lots of veggies, some seeds and olive oil.
3. Snacks: some fresh juice (carrot, superfood) or some carrots, broccoli or almonds.
4. Dinner: whatever I want (raw or not!)...this is my chance to enjoy time out with my friends :)

The benefits I am seeing right now after 11 days:

* The interesting thing about this diet, is that I am not at all hungry in the afternoons. I would normally be starving by 3-4pm, even after eating a big plate of food and some other snacks. Not any more.
* I have a much more even energy level. I love coffee and am not avoiding it on purpose, but have only had a few sips in the past 12 days. ….I just haven’t felt like I’ve needed it.
* I’m able to wake up in the morning much easier, almost as easy as when I was back in grade school! I’ve actually found myself waking up at 6am and making myself go back to sleep since it was too early.
* I’ve noticed my skin clearing up quite a bit, though I do still have some pimples on my face that just won't go away. I posted another topic about this in the Nutrition thread/forum to discuss this.
* I’ve lost 5-6 pounds (and I was pretty thin to begin with) with no noticeable loss in strength
* I have a remarkable improvement in mental clarity

I’ll keep posting as things progress. I am also documenting this on my blog (link in signature).

Bigbwii
Elephant

#2 Postby Bigbwii » Sat Jun 17, 2006 8:35 pm

Good for you Ravi.... :wink:
FRUITARIAN FITNESS
The Fruitarian Lifestyle & Fitness Coach
www.fruitarianfitness.com

endcruelty
Elephant

#3 Postby endcruelty » Sat Jun 17, 2006 11:46 pm

i really wanna do more raw but everything you described you eat in a day i usually eat by lunch time ;) .... im really tempted to try but i love my herb tofu and my pasta :(

loveliberate
Elephant

#4 Postby loveliberate » Sun Jun 18, 2006 2:00 am

Very Cool Ravi! I've been eating a lot more fruit, raw foods & whole foods as a direct result of being inspired by Bigbwii and others here & on VF.net.
:D

Gorilla
Gorilla

#5 Postby Gorilla » Sun Jun 18, 2006 4:52 am

Excellent. Glad to hear it. Keep it up!

Kathryn
Elephant

#6 Postby Kathryn » Sun Jun 18, 2006 11:05 am

I've also been going more raw this summer, inspired in part by some of our raw food members, as well as from my summer reading (no Danielle Steele novels for me! I read up on heath and nutrition!).

I started the summer gradually transitioning by eating more raw (like changing some 'snacks" to larabars and other raw food bars), and making sure to have a raw food at the beginning of each meal (often apples, because they are easier to find organic locally) . Then I went to going 'all raw until mid-afternoon,'' then pretty much to 'raw ntil dinner (which is also sometimes raw). I would estimate that I've been 80%+ raw the last 3 weeks.

andesuma
Gorilla

#7 Postby andesuma » Sun Jun 18, 2006 11:20 am

congradulations!
Becoming raw is about the best thing I ever did for myself..

I have always been at the very minimum 50% raw.. I've just always
preferred raw produce to almost anything else.
For the past few years I've been nearly 100% raw (consuming pasturized
juices, and hummus on occasion, but my typical everyday is 95-100%)

I've tasted some cooked/hot food a couple of times since.. &
WOW, is it amazing to taste the difference, all I taste is salt generally...
It's absolutely amazing how sensitive your taste buds become.

thegirlracer
Finch

everything you said is true...

#8 Postby thegirlracer » Tue Jun 20, 2006 11:19 am

especially the part about having a more solid sleep schedule. i find that when i'm "off" the raw diet, i am constantly waking up (often times, hungry). i toss and turn. i wake up hungry. i wake up tired.

when i'm on the raw foods diet (90%), i get a solid night's sleep. i don't wake up during the night, and i wake up refreshed and ready for the day. i don't even wake up hungry.

Ravi
Manatee

#9 Postby Ravi » Wed Jun 21, 2006 12:21 am

On DAY 16 of this 70% raw food diet (basically, everything except dinner)

I still feel very high energy levels. For example, this morning I got up at 5:20am and felt wide awake. I worked out from 6:30-8am and then had a very long day at work. I left at 9pm and was very busy with several presentations and lots of tying up loose ends before I start my vacation (I am off work for 1 week starting tomorrow!). I felt very alert during the whole day. My eyes also didn’t get tired at all, which normally happens when I am very busy. Also, I haven’t had a sip of coffee in a while. Frankly, I don’t feel like I need it.

Also, I didn’t feel hungry at all during the day. I had a wheatgrass shot and carrot juice at Jamba Juice in the AM, some almonds and pumpkin seeds during the day, and a big green salad at lunch (no dressing on it, just some olive oil). This was enough to keep my energy levels quite high AND even.

I am also noticing a signficiant drop in bodyfat an increase in strength (visually, I see a major change in vascularity and definition, through my scale only says I have lost about 5 pounts in the past 16 days). In my work out this morning (another Static Contraction as I wrote about in another post) most of my lifts were stronger by 5-10% over my last similar workout way back on May 30th. I have also been making major progress in my Yoga practice and other bodyweight exercises I do.

I am still planning to keep this up for 30 days. Hope to keep seeing the progress.

Bigbwii
Elephant

#10 Postby Bigbwii » Wed Jun 21, 2006 7:37 am

Very inspiring...keep up the good work!!!! :lol: 8)
FRUITARIAN FITNESS

davidtarrfoster
Rabbit

#11 Postby davidtarrfoster » Fri Jun 23, 2006 3:41 pm

Cool. I'm trying to do the same thing, but I'm only on day 6. I've noticed many of the same changes.

Ravi
Manatee

Update on Progress

#12 Postby Ravi » Thu Jul 20, 2006 12:46 pm

Quick update on how my raw food experiment has been going. I made it 17 days on an 80% raw food diet. After this, I went on a weeklong trip back home and it was just too hard to say no to my mom's cooking.

For that one week I was home my diet was probably 10% raw (ate TONS of veggies but they were cooked/stir fried). I then returned home and bumped it up to about 30% raw for a week (basically 1 totally raw meal per day).

Then, on July 12th, I bumped it back up to 80% and have kept it up.

What is interesting, is I am noticing some side-effects after increasing my raw food intake the second time around.

* I am not feeling as energetic as I was before, I feel a little bit tired, sort of like I sat in a sauna too long
* I am not waking up in the morning as alert and awake as I was during my first few weeks of going mostly raw
* My mental clarity is really good, almost meditative....hopefully not "sedatative" :)....I can focus on things for much longer periods of time when I am moving around my daily life
* In contract to above statement, I find that when I actually try to meditate, it is HARDER! This is very odd. I find myself quite ancy and wanting to move around. During my first 17 days being raw I didn't have this problem, in fact, I found the excact opposite to be true...I could medidate for longer periods of time
* My flexibility is ridiculous! I am doing a lot of yoga right now...but I am getting gains that are starting to scare me :) this is a good thing!
* I am getting more vascularity in my arms and hands
* My bodyweight isn't changing but, my bodyfat percentage is dropping (dropped from 15% on July 1st to 10% on July 15th with no change in bodyweight)
* I feel much lighter
* When I lift, I can push up the same amount of weight, but I find myself tiring fast. For example, my one-set max for pull ups has increased from 7 to 12 over the past three weeks but after the first set I am now totally hosed for the second set. I used to do 7-7-5 reps, now I do 12-5-4 if I am lucky.
* my skin is clearer than normal, but not completely clear.

My uber question is, do other people who go on a RAW FOOD diet feel this decrease in energy/lethargy after a few weeks? How long does it last?

I read the article on RAW FOOD that Bigbwii posted that talked about this...but would LOVE to hear from others that have had a similar experience.

btw...hope ya'll are training hard for the summer shape-up challenge...I am gonna win that thing :twisted: :twisted: :twisted:

:)

Ravi

Bigbwii
Elephant

#13 Postby Bigbwii » Thu Jul 20, 2006 5:49 pm

Yeah it's great to begin with and then the detox kicks in...then your body will concentrate all it's efforts on cleansing...that's why your lacking in energy....

but that's all a part of the big clean up process....it's kinda like trying to come off cigarettes/alcohol....

be prepare to feel worse before you get better....do a bunch of research into raw detox....you'll need it!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

:wink:

ya doing great..... :wink:
FRUITARIAN FITNESS

Return to “Health & Nutrition Programs”