Vegan Bodybuilding & Fitness

Healthy Food Defines You
It is currently Fri Dec 19, 2014 2:23 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jun 27, 2006 2:47 pm 
Elephant

I eat pasta, bread and other grains but I definitely think that leafy green's and fruit are far more vital/essential & all around better for health. Course ya can sprout yr grains and have the best of both worlds too! :wink:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jun 27, 2006 3:44 pm 
Gorilla

As an endurance athlete, simply raw food doesn't work for me. Cooked pasta, for example, is much more easy for me to digest than high-fiber fruits. And as with everyone, this comes from personal experience. Everyone else's may differ.

Many vegans here, however, are raw food vegans, and so that's probably where they are coming from.

Post subject: carbs
PostPosted: Tue Jun 27, 2006 7:20 pm 
The minimal pasta/grains thing isn't about being low carb its about getting better carbs. If you can get the same amount of carbs from veggies and fruits you body will run like a clock since it not empty carbs(whole grains aren't empty carbs but there are far more nutrients that go along with fruits and veggies than grains). As for the raw thing it just takes time to adjust too...Brendan Brazier is 80% raw and the best super ultra marathoner in the world is completely raw so you can definately do the full raw thing and be an endurance athlete...its actually beneficial since you blood temp drops an average of 2 degrees...a great advantage if your riding 60+miles in 95degree heat

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jun 28, 2006 6:59 am 
Stegosaurus

I agree. It's not that you're eating breads and pasta, it's that you're not eating some other optimal things, but some people I know take breads and pasta to a ridiculous limit.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jun 28, 2006 10:46 am 
Manatee

My remarks were not aimed at anyone in particular here. Just in general, people are freaked out about carbs. Give me carbs and they can have the meat. Yuck.

I eat about 50 percent raw but I am not into the all raw thing. I eat a ton of fruit and raw veggies but I like cooked food and I am not an endurance athlete or anything. I am 53 years old and love to lift though. I have been doing that for 15 or more years. I am doing better at lifting now that I have gone back to vegan then I ever did on meat and animal products. My sinus problems and mysteriously disappeard again too!!

Post subject: bread/pasta
PostPosted: Wed Jun 28, 2006 11:15 am 
Until recently(last three months) I had been a big bread and pasta person and it was fine but when I lowered my carbs from those sources and increased my carbs from veggies and fruits my recovery time has drastically improved...moreso than any supplement ever did when I was taking them.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jun 28, 2006 11:30 am 
Manatee

I don't know what happened on my last sentence. Whew. Must be the pasta :lol:

I only eat pasta about once a week and bread maybe twice a week with a boca burger between it.

I have heard so many opinions on the amount of protein that should be ingested in a day. I keep mine about 10 to 15 %. That's after reading some good books on veganism. I keep my fat at about 10% and the rest is carbs. I have read that the protein that we get from veggies, fruit, grains, and beans are plenty without adding protein drinks.

Any imput people?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jul 02, 2006 12:27 pm 
Rabbit

When the hulls remain on the seeds, one tablespoon of sesame seeds will contains about 88 milligrams of calcium.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jul 14, 2006 7:05 pm 
Finch

I am converting to a vegetarian diet right now. I had been a big meat eater and milk drinker when I was younger.

Milk and cheese will be harder for me to give up. I am going to try the soy milks. So far I have had chocolate Silk. They are fortified with calcuim as well?

I am surprised that this dentist or doctor wasn't more considerate of your vegan diet and suggest other options besides dairy. I would rather get what I can from food but he could have suggested calcium supplements.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jul 14, 2006 7:11 pm 
Gorilla

You need to check individual lables, but most soy milks are fortified with calcium, if not all, and have as much (if not more) that regular milk. I also like Soy Dream Original flavor because it's fortified with B12 among other things and is one of the best tasting, IMO.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jul 16, 2006 6:57 pm 
Rabbit

Your Dr. is a piece of POOP!
they know nothing about diet and nutrition..absolutely nothing!
If you don't wish to eat dairy,then don't!
A dentist!! Who the heck is he to suggest nutritional advice.

I didn't read all of the posts, but hopefully you have been convinced to go back to being vegan. trust me, you will get you calcium from a plant based diet.

Good Luck!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jul 17, 2006 8:53 am 
Elephant

Despite what the milk producers and calcium supplement makers want us to believe, calcium is not necessarily the most important nutrient for bone and teeth strength. And milk is most definitely NOT a good source of it, because any benefits are counterbalanced by the protein that can cause the body to excrete calcium.

Many allopathic doctors are as influenced by the propaganda/advertising/'research findings' of vested interests as is the general public.

Dr. Fuhrman recommends increasing vitamin D rather than calcium, and getting calcium mainly from greens. (See www.drfuhrman.com ). But watch his "Osteo sun' vite: it's NOT vegan, because it contains cholecalciferol/D3 . Though his other supplements are vegan.

Greens provide minerals that are essential to bone/teeth health, like boron, phosphorus, magnesium.

Better than milk would be wheat grass or a green supplement, some apples (boron) and a good amount of big green salads.

As for the grain issue, I prefer to avoid wheat (acidifying, and overeaten in the US) and stick with healthier grains, like millet, quinoa, wild rice. I also think the USDA's 'food pyramid' should be somewhat altered, with veggies taking the big spot at the base, and grains sharing second place with fruits on the second tier.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jul 17, 2006 5:53 pm 
Gorilla

Additionally, stronger bones are not made from taking in more calcium, but rather, from doing weight-bearing execises such as weight training and running. The fact that taking in more calcium from cow's milk is rammed down our throats from an early age by a highly-effective indoctrinal system and hasn't changed much in many decades is a testament to the power of corporate media.

But I preaching to the choir here. :wink:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Aug 17, 2006 7:06 pm 
Rabbit

You wouldn't happen to drink a lot of soda or diet soda do you?

The high phosphorous in the sodas just suck the calcium right out of you.

Also. the artificial sweeteners out there are one of the worst things for you. The new one on the market - Splenda was rejected by the FDA several times before the chemical manufacturers lobbyists finally got them to approve it.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Aug 18, 2006 8:32 am 
Elephant

belleadonna wrote:
I don't know about you (everyone), but I get sick of people ragging on pasta and bread. There is nothing wrong with whole grain pasta and bread as long as you are not slathering rich sauces or butter on them. I think that the low carb myth has invaded everyone's brain.

I concentrate on fruit and veggies but for pete's sake, whole grains are just as important.

What do ya'll think?

I agree but I get into trouble when I eat too much gluten (esp. white bread). I get tired and when I go to them gym I have to lower my weights alot and can't go on for as long as if I didn't eat gluten. But I know that alot of people don't have any problems with gluten. I also know that alot of people haven't tried to be without them to be able to spot improvements.
I still eat rice (brown, black, red), rice cakes, corn and oats (none of them have gluten) and sometimes some whole grain bread.