Regarding vegan bowel habits...

scott1114

Alright, not sure where this topic belongs so I put it in the nutrition section.

In the past 2 years, I've tried going vegan at least a dozen times. However, every time I try I cannot stay on the diet. The reason for that is that I always get very sharp pains in the bellies and severe diarrhea ( 8 to 10 times a day ), which I absolutely cannot live with.

I only eat whole unprocessed organic foods also, and have tried the diet without grains, didn't work.

Then tried without grains and legumes, didn't work.

Treid without nuts, didn't work.

Then tried raw, always same results.

I'd like to add that every time, I've tried waiting to see if my body adapts ( around 1 month each time ), but it never does.

This is very frustrating for me because only a diet that consists of mostly meat makes me feel good in the digestive system. My father tried a vegan diet also but has the same issues as me. I was wondering if anyone has experienced similar symptoms and what did you do?

I'd like to stop eating animals, but not at the point of being almost disabled because of crippling pains and diarrhea.

It is completely normal to have a slight diarrhea when you start consuming more fibers than you are used to - that is generally what happens in a diet change. That lasts for about two weeks until the bacterial flora in your intestines adapt.

Never heard of a case like yours, most probably you have some kind of allergy or autoimmune disease.

Is there anything that you don't eat ( or eat in incredible small portions ) when you are eating a meat based diet and you eat in a good quantity while trying a vegan diet ?

I would check that, perhaps someone here could help more.

Good luck

It would be difficult to help without knowing exactly what you are eating, but yep it will be strange for your bowells for a couple of weeks.

I found that seeded bread was bad on my bowells for some reason, so I cut it out of my diet and now its all good

I've been vegan for 3 years vegetarian for more and I still er..go.. More than I did when I ate meat and animal biproducts but not uncomfortably and certainly not the d word!

All the best my friend