I'm starting to freak out

ChaserHUN

Ok, so few month ago brown lines appeared on two of my bottom front teeth. Yesterday I discovered on of them has a big brown spot on the inside of it :S I'm really worried it's a cavity. I will go to a dentist the soonest I can. About suffer I started my teeth feel sensitive, I started using fluorated toothpaste again and it seems the sensitivity gone away. But a few month later brown lines appeared on my teeth, and there are some little whiter spots on my upper teeth as well ( wich to my knowledge are signs of demineralization).

I've red a lot of thing trying to gather information on helathy teeth. I was a raw vegan (80/10/10) for two years, 2 years now on cooked food (because I couldn'T afford that much fruit). It's getting really annoying that you read all this stuff....too mucgh fruit or carbohydrate rots your teeth....than somewhere else a low fat whole foods planet based diet is the best for us. Somewhere that whole grains are good, elsewhere they are deadly to you. Are phytic acids really that bad in grains and legumes? Somewehre you can read that you need to eat cod liver oil for vitamin A and stuff. I'M REALLY STARTING TO FREAK OUT HERE. Sometimes I feel it would be the best not to know all about this "shit"

From personal experience I feel the best on a high carb, low fat diet, but is it the best? Strangely when I was on the 811 diet I had no lines in my nails, since I'm eating grains, beans, legumes again I have the lines. Did I f***k myself up with the 811 and now I see the symptoms or did I do it by eating cooked foods? Also I have to admit I was a lasy cooked food vegan, mostly eating bananas, grains and beans, I was very low on veggies especially on greens. Few weeks ago I started supplementing with devas multivitamin and a now foods mineral supplement.But I'm really starting to get worried about my teeth. I've started using Oralseven toothpaste and mothwash, it really seems to do what it says, doesn't dry out my mouth looks pretty good so far.

My diet usually looks like this:

Breakfast:

Usually banana smoothie, if I have a green smoothie

Lunch:

Cooked grains usually with some steamed vegetables

Dinner:

Beans or legumes

After that, sesame of poppy seeds sometimes.

I've also bought the Forks Over Knives Coockbook wich has some nice recipes, but they are all low fat, high carb.

So really, what am I doing wrong with my diet?

Do you have health insurance? Go to a doctor and get an examination and blood work done. There could be many things contributing to your issues, and it is very hard for someone here to accurately diagnose you. Do you take any supplements? Where do you get your B12, your Vitamin D, and your Calcium? Your diet also looks very low in fat, which can be a problem depending on your lifestyle. Are you in a healthy BMI weight range?

I had my blood checked half a year ago, everything was in range, maybe my cholesterol was lower than it should be on the paper, and they didn't check my clacium and iron levels so I don't know about that. and I had high uric acid wich I don't know why because I don't drink tea, coffe or anything like these stuff at all.

I had blood tests on the 811 diet and everything was in range.

I'm nearly not eating as much greens like on the 811 diet. I think I should up my greens intake.

I take supplements for about two weeks now, a DEVA Iron Free Multivitamin and Now Foods Full Spectrum Mineral Supplement.

I feel good physically, I'm just really worried about my teeth.

Is phytic acid really that bad in grains and beans and legumes? I read that soaking them can lower the phytic acid contents.

About fat intake, I feel slowed down if I eat too much, but lot of people say that the 10% is still not enough, don't know what the truth about this...

I'm 183cm tall and 65kg, but I was always skinny like this, even when I ate animal products and eat close to 3000kcal a day, I just don't put on any weight

• 1 month later...
Ok, so few month ago brown lines appeared on two of my bottom front teeth. Yesterday I discovered on of them has a big brown spot on the inside of it :S I'm really worried it's a cavity. I will go to a dentist the soonest I ca.

Good.

About suffer I started my teeth feel sensitive, I started using fluorated toothpaste again and it seems the sensitivity gone away.

Good.

I *think* fluoride is the only ingredient in toothpaste clinically proven to prevent cavities. It is horrible that some alternative toothpaste companies are taking it out due to pressure from customers into alternative health beliefs that make them fear fluoride. Googling around there are many fear mongering sites and if you look where there information comes from it only points to other blogs, people without medical/dental expertise and a few lone quacky doctors without an active involvement in research. Amid all of that I found some sites from good authorities like the Mayo clinic explaining fluoride use. It sounds quite safe and useful.

I've red a lot of thing trying to gather information on helathy teeth. I was a raw vegan (80/10/10) for two years, 2 years now on cooked food (because I couldn'T afford that much fruit). It's getting really annoying that you read all this stuff....too mucgh fruit or carbohydrate rots your teeth....than somewhere else a low fat whole foods planet based diet is the best for us. Somewhere that whole grains are good, elsewhere they are deadly to you. Are phytic acids really that bad in grains and legumes? Somewehre you can read that you need to eat cod liver oil for vitamin A and stuff. I'M REALLY STARTING TO FREAK OUT HERE. Sometimes I feel it would be the best not to know all about this "shit"

No disrespect. You are learning a hard lesson. That is why you check the credentials of the author, where s/he got her information and what people with similar credentials think. Is the person an MD? Are they involved in research and not just spouting a pet opinion? Are their views backed up by scientific literature. Do many other researchers agree? Etc.

From personal experience I feel the best on a high carb, low fat diet, but is it the best? Strangely when I was on the 811 diet I had no lines in my nails, since I'm eating grains, beans, legumes again I have the lines. Did I f***k myself up with the 811 and now I see the symptoms

Maybe, raw diets can be low in several nutrients and that takes time for that problem to become visible. Raw diets, especially juice & fruit heavy ones throw a lot of sugary ( juices ) and acidic foods at teeth which erode the teeth and gums over time. On top of that not brushing twice a day( and flossing ) with fluoride toothpaste to clean it all out will make it worse since those acids and sugars are just sitting in your mouth, working on decaying your teeth.

You are doing the right things by brushing with fluoride again and seeing a dentist.

Please let us know how this turns out.

• 2 months later...