All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: Re: What should I eat if I can't consume Legumes or Gluten
PostPosted: Fri Mar 29, 2013 4:00 pm 
Manatee

:\ ...

PostPosted: Fri Mar 29, 2013 4:05 pm 
Manatee

I have two brothers, and they both were raised exactly like me, eating the same things, and I'm the only one with this condition.. it doesn't make sense.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 30, 2013 7:58 am 
Rabbit

Acne is a symptom: it can be symptomatic of more than one thing.

In most cases (not all) one component of the condition is infection (or repeated infection) of the glands that excrete oil between the layers of your skin.

Obviously, factors such as how you wash your face, etc., really do matter (not a sarcastic question: are you using vegan soap yet?).

If you're eating a type of oil that you can't digest well (i.e., without actually being allergic to it) that will/can cause/exacerbate acne.

Although most people don't want to deal with it, issues such as how often you change your pillow-case, and how often you touch your own face (e.g., during periods of the day when you haven't washed your hands) really do matter. This is stuff that (normally) only actors and models pay attention to --and they normally do get made fun of for it by their friends. However, it gets results.

I hope that you became vegan for ethical reasons, and that you'll return to it for ethical reasons (i.e., not eat eggs again).

I don't know if you'll ever be able to speak to a dermatologist. If not, you can get books out of the library on the subject for free.

The science of skin isn't any simpler than (e.g.) the science of teeth --but we're taught to regard dermatology as "D.I.Y." (i.e., "just buy this magic skin-cream…") whereas dentistry is the domain of specialized professionals. That's a cultural perception, not a scientific attitude toward the facts.

In many cases, Acne is a real health problem, and it may be an infect that needs to be treated medically --or, at least, that would benefit from medical treatment. You can read up on it, and you can (indeed) join forums on the subject.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 03, 2013 4:18 pm 
Rabbit

Maybe you're deficient in Vitamin D?

It takes over a month for the intestine to heal from the damage of the gluten, lentils and chickpeas. Give it time.

Are you sure beans(white/red kidney beans) cause you to break out?

PostPosted: Wed Apr 03, 2013 8:41 pm 
Manatee

I began taking some vitamins about 4 days ago, so maybe it'll help.
I've tried black beans, chickpeas, red kidney beans, blackeye, and lentils. I think the lentils were the least offensive, but they still caused me to break out- when I stopped eating them, my skin improved.
anyways.. I guess I'll keep an eye on things.
I upped my omega3 consumption, and it seems to be helping (unless it is the vitamins).. Reason I'm using omega3s is because I've read that having your omega3 - 6 ratio unbalanced can make it difficult for your body to metabolize stuff, and it helps with the skin.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 04, 2013 9:37 am 
Rabbit

The omega ratio only applies if you're eating animal products and live in a polluted city. Omega 6's are only inflammatory when toxins enter the body.

I prefer the omega 3's from walnuts, leafy greens and other plant foods.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 04, 2013 5:26 pm 
Manatee

makes sense. that tends to be my opinion about vitamins. I was raised a vegetarian, and been a vegetarian my whole life besides vegan/fruitarian, and over the span of my life I've rarely taken vitamins- I got all my nutrients from variety of foods.
I had these vitamins sitting around because they were a gift, and I hadn't used them all yet, so I decided to see if it would help. As far as the omega3s, I'm getting them from flaxseed oil.
I do live in a more industrial area near chicago, so polution may be a problem. But I've also lived in areas with little industrialization and still had problems.
We'll see..