Yes another protein question!

tom15

Hey all! I'll be quick because this question doesn't require a lot of elaboration. So, I have been using a mix of Life Time's Life's Basic Plant Protein Powder (vanilla) and a scoop of maca powder post workout before I get home and eat a large breakfast. My question is, considering Life Time contains a multi-source plant protein configuration, is it better to use multi-source protein instead of a single source protein? Are there any benefits to the use of a multi-source over a single-source or vice-versa? Thanks guys!

Most vegan proteins are limited in their amino acid profile (legumes are lower in the amino acid methionine while other plants foods are lower in lysine.).. so a mix is generally good - ie. a mix of grain and legume proteins will ensure you are getting enough 'complete' proteins..

Hemp and soy both contain complete proteins.

Since lysine is the limiting amino acid in a vegan diet, I would be most concerned about how much of that your protein powder has (ie. a 140lb person needs about 2400mg of lysine /day)

Wow! I'm amazed again with the environment created in this forum! Such fast responses and informative and friendly. I couldn't ask for more. Thank you guys. I will be sure to check out that article. I knew there was a little trick to it all, haha. I just want to make sure all of the time and effort I'm putting into living healthy is the best it can be. So again, thank you guys very much!