Meal timing

I am new to this whole idea of meal timing. I have heard of so many people being successful with it and would like to learn more about how to time my meals appropriately. I am looking to eat every 3-4 hours. I am torn between listening to my body, telling me when I'm hungry and watching the clock to make sure I eat at exactly the right time every day. What are some of your thoughts? Is it necessary to watch the clock?

It really depends on what you are trying to accomplish. What type of success have you heard about from meal timing? Gaining? What you eat when can also make a difference as it corresponds to before and after workouts, before bed, when you wake up, lots of factors. Check out the training journals section, you can tell who is very serious about their workouts and focus on specific diets, what they eat and when during the day, and how often as well.

-Dylan

I have heard success in gaining and losing. I have not heard much about maintenance, which is what I'm looking for. Through my studies, I have learned a bit, but I would like to know more about the science behind it. Thanks for your advice, I will look into it.

I don't know the science, or pretty much any of the logic behind it but was told by lots of seasoned veterans in the world of lifting/bodybuilding to eat every 2.5-3 hours. So I do.

I start the day with a cup of rolled oats and a glass of soymilk at 7:30.

PB and J on whole grain and a banana at 10.

Lunch at 12.

Snack at 2:30 (trail mix, fruits, veggies, protein bar, tofu)

Gym at 4:15

Dinner at 6:15

Protein at 8:30ish

Random snack before bed