What do you do after a cheat meal?

I havent had a "cheat" meal in so long!

I ate really good for breakfast and lunch, then at "dinner" all hell broke loose, I had bread[which i havent had in literally months] with peanut butter, banana, maybe like 500 calories worth of nuts, THEN i went out with my friend to a Babycakes [vegan, gluten free, refined sugar free bakery] and i was just going to get a small frosted brownie bite and a frosted cupcake top but i ended up getting a full sized eclair too thinking i was going to have it today, but i ended up eating all three and now i feel super guilty because it's going to take me a few days to recover from the bloated feeling/ water retention. i know i could have done a lot worse, but i still feel guilty.

What/How do you guys eat for the next few days, or what do you typically do after a cheat meal?

[i'm going to take my bootcamp class tomorrow morning, i'll go harder than normal haha]

I hate a cheat weekend in Vegas last year and while I still tried to follow my way of eating, I ended up consuming some food I knew shouldn't have. When I got back home I quickly returned to how I prefer to eat. I didn't dwell over the fact I ate poorly, but accepted it and moved on. I felt a bit bloated, but it was nothing that wasn't relieve soon after. I came home and ended up making a few potato dishes to get me back on track.

I continue to eat as I've planned - a lot of raw food (to 80-90%/day, remaining 10-20% lentils, beans, soy products etc). What is done is done, can't undo that - just keep going forward. I ate shitty stuff today too (ate 2 days before this one, a hold-up of 8 days) - totally unneccessary calories.

I used to overcompensate with the training, eg press harder and faster when running or cycling, however that doesn't give the results - instead it'll more likely to increase the apetite for "quick, carby-sugary foods" (long-distance runners will most likely to agree that candy is heaven after 21+km ;D). If it's running on the schedule, I just take a longer route (or a tougher one) - I do not increase the max speed, since it just start a downward spiral of crap food + overcompensating.

If it's strength training - I add some extra chin-/pull and push-ups and/or other body exercises (do not press too hard). I do not add an extra cardio (not even if its HIIT-day) or press more weight than usual (or increase reps/sets).

today i had a very large green smoothie, some steamed broccoli and sweet potato, and about 6 dates with a ton of walnuts, i had a crazy busy day at work so i havent had a chance to sit down and actually eat anything substantial. i'm gonna grab a green juice before i food shop. i have bootcamp early tomorrow morning so that should help a bit.

today i had a very large green smoothie, some steamed broccoli and sweet potato, and about 6 dates with a ton of walnuts, i had a crazy busy day at work so i havent had a chance to sit down and actually eat anything substantial. i'm gonna grab a green juice before i food shop. i have bootcamp early tomorrow morning so that should help a bit.

That sounds awesome

What do I do? Just carry on eating as I normally do, a cheat meal is a 'once in a while meal' so it's nothing that should be overly stressed about. In the grand scheme of things (health, fitness, bodyweight etc) it likely will amount to nothing. Just my 2c MF.

I continue to eat as I've planned - a lot of raw food (to 80-90%/day, remaining 10-20% lentils, beans, soy products etc). What is done is done, can't undo that - just keep going forward. I ate shitty stuff today too (ate 2 days before this one, a hold-up of 8 days) - totally unneccessary calories.

I used to overcompensate with the training, eg press harder and faster when running or cycling, however that doesn't give the results - instead it'll more likely to increase the apetite for "quick, carby-sugary foods" (long-distance runners will most likely to agree that candy is heaven after 21+km ;D). If it's running on the schedule, I just take a longer route (or a tougher one) - I do not increase the max speed, since it just start a downward spiral of crap food + overcompensating.

If it's strength training - I add some extra chin-/pull and push-ups and/or other body exercises (do not press too hard). I do not add an extra cardio (not even if its HIIT-day) or press more weight than usual (or increase reps/sets).

That is a GREAT post.

Thank you.

• 2 months later...

I also don't do anything special after a junk meal. In some diets it's even recommended to have one junk meal per week or even a whole day of carb loading. Therefore don't sweat it when you eat something "bad" once in a while

Just go back to normal the next day. Dont fast or anything. just stay hydrated. I still struggle when i cheat i go all out, so much so that trainer has taken them away from me. last time i cheated before i got back with him i gained 8 lbs overnight (glycogen, water, sugar swelling, massive weight of food - quart of ice cream 2 bagels, Swedish fish, oreos, peanut butter, chips), but it was gone by the next week after i went back to my maintenance diet and hard training. just try to learn from it. maybe your body is telling u that you are missing either enough calories or a certain nutrient. evaluate how much protein, fat, and carbs you are getting and if that makes sense for ur diet and training and gender and body size. are you taking vitamins? are you getting enough electrolytes? for me my body is definitely craving more energy bc i am in deficit for competition but the comp prep prevents me from binging. learn from it, try to do it less and less and try to make small improvements every time u cheat. easier said than done i know. but my point is your body will go back to homeostasis after a few days of getting back on track, dont do any crazy cleanses or fasting. i don't think thats good for u. one day of eating in excess cant hurt you that much if you dont do it that often and you are eating right and training hard the other days. some would even argue that once in a while cheating is good for you, ur jsut not sposed to eat to the point where you feel sick, which is what usually happens to me when i cheat. bc i know the next day im back to a strict diet. some argue overeating once in a while gives metabolic boost. what matters most is what you do most of the time....