Most protein rich (non-legume) vegetables *helpful list*

Hey all

I don't know if this has already been posted somewhere, but I looked for a clear and manageable list containing the basic nutrition value per 100 g/(non-legume)vegetables and couldn't find one. So I made one myself. Here's an easy nutrition value list of 100 + non-legume vegetables of which the most protein rich have been marked with light green. Since I can't add pdf, word or any other type of files except jpeg, I've uploaded it for you to download at:

http://www.speedyshare.com/r36Wz/Most-p ... tables.pdf

Nice poster, think I'll highlight it on FB haha.

PS: As you requested, I will make this thread a sticky in this section of the forum.

Well I already have it saved myself, so hopefully I won't be looking for it But I have noticed that quite a few here suffer from ingesting (too many) legumes. So I hope it can be of some help. I know I'll be including more Arugula, Asparagus, Spinach and Collar and Mustard greens in my diet

thanks, will use, btw how did you class things as "protein rich"?

the humble zuchini at the end clocks in at about 39% protein (by calories) vs kale which is about 33% and green beans which is about 25%

i should convert this into an excel document so it can be arranged by carb/percentages etc, would be very useful -lol nvm i did it myself, see next comment

but yeah, thanks, this is exactly what i was looking for, was looking for some nice leafy greens to grow over winter

Edited by muchidna

hi again, i've created a spreadsheet of all the data in your thing, and uploaded it on google drive

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet/ccc?key=0AhePMRUhhBvSdHZOeHdBSllKeXRSa3pLR3REM2RhZkE&usp=sharing

- i hope links are OK to docs

few technical things:

the calories didnt seem to match up with the macros exactly, usually like 10% off or less, so i calculated the calories based on carbs*4 + protein*4 + fat*9 (can someone tell me if this is correct)

other than that, it's sorted by the calculated protein/calorie value

if you see any mistakes lemme know please

aspirant hope you dont mind me using your data, all credit goes to your research

anyway, i might add legumes and other common veg foods in a separate spreadsheet, sound good?

send me some suggestions if you like

I have made a different list in the past which might be helpful to some. It's a list of fruits and legumes, sorted by lowest to highest calories. So in a food situation where you have to choose from some different fruits, or choose between some different legumes, and you are worried about calories, then you just choose something higher up on the list! Some foods are bolded due to having a high calorie content per 100g, indicating that they are foods to watch out for!

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet/ccc?key=0ApR-ifPr8Ch-dG1FMTV5OTZ6dFNVN0lBb21ULTJXaVE&usp=sharing

happily, most fruits are nice and low in calories, could eat strawberries all day

just a couple more things i might add the my spreadsheet

alfalfa sprouts

mushrooms

alfalfa is something like 34% incomplete proteins, and mushrooms are loaded also

edit: why exactly are legumes bad anyway? high carb content? might still be useful to add them to the list for comparison

thanks, will use, btw how did you class things as "protein rich"?

That's a very valid question I unfortunately forgot to address in my original post. I have classified the protein richness of a given vegetable, by looking at the amount (grams) of protein per 100 grams in relation to a given items total kcal.

One could also classify it by looking at the amount of protein calories per 100 grams of food in relation to the amount of kcal, but the reason I did it the other way is because in my original cut diet, I chose to focus on how many grams of protein I nee/day (170 grams) and adjusted my total calorie intake/day in accord with my physical needs and not any kind of desired weight (I don't have a desired weight, I have a desired fat percent).

hi again, i've created a spreadsheet of all the data in your thing, and uploaded it on google drive

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet/ccc ... sp=sharing

- i hope links are OK to docs

That's awesome Muchidna, you rock!

few technical things:

the calories didnt seem to match up with the macros exactly, usually like 10% off or less, so i calculated the calories based on carbs*4 + protein*4 + fat*9 (can someone tell me if this is correct)

You're absolutely right, I noticed this as well and corrected a few items (which is why I inserted the cross reference link) but didn't do a complete check, because I didn't have time. Also the thing about nutrition values is that they are never completely correct but only approximates, so there will always be an error variance, but 10 % is still a lot The ones I corrected deviated by 30-40 % which is why I felt obliged to correct the most atrocious error variances (they were too clear for me to ignore lol).

And yes you're right carbs= 4 kcal/g, same thing for protein and fat= 9 kcal/g.

other than that, it's sorted by the calculated protein/calorie value

if you see any mistakes lemme know please

So just to be sure we're on the same page you've derived the protein percentage by calculating the amount of protein calories in relation to a given items total calories, no?

aspirant hope you dont mind me using your data, all credit goes to your research

Not at all, I this *should* be a collective research, the more brains, the more (structured) info, the more manageable grocery shopping, the easier life is as a vegan lol.

just a couple more things i might add the my spreadsheet

alfalfa sprouts

mushrooms

alfalfa is something like 34% incomplete proteins, and mushrooms are loaded also

Please do add

edit: why exactly are legumes bad anyway? high carb content? might still be useful to add them to the list for comparison

Not bad at all, I actually love them.... My stomach doesn't thought, not always anyway. And yeah high carbs too lol. I noticed quite a few in here have a hard time digesting legumes, so hopefully they'll benefit from this as well.

I have made a different list in the past which might be helpful to some. It's a list of fruits and legumes, sorted by lowest to highest calories. So in a food situation where you have to choose from some different fruits, or choose between some different legumes, and you are worried about calories, then you just choose something higher up on the list! Some foods are bolded due to having a high calorie content per 100g, indicating that they are foods to watch out for!

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet/ccc ... sp=sharing

Thank you Fallen, that's very useful, I was about to embark on a similar project, but you just saved me a couple of hours I can use for back day later this afternoon haha :-P

well if you guys would like, come up with some categories, eg: leafy greens, legumes/beans, vegetables, fruits, processed- and maybe some others

and i'll put them into induvidual docs with my macros to determine the protein content etc, aswell as one large one with everything, might also change the calories listed to a calculation

So just to be sure we're on the same page you've derived the protein percentage by calculating the amount of protein calories in relation to a given items total calories, no?

yes, the calories from x (protein) is the percentage of calories from (protein*4+carbs*4+fats*9) rather than the calories in the data

so if the data says the calories are 1000, but there's only 1 gram protein, 1 gram carbs and 1 gram fat, it will use (1*4+1*4+1*9) calorites for the percentages

if anyone has suggestions for foodstuffs to add, just comment below, if you can include gams of fat/protein/carbs, that would be good, otherwise i'll look it up and add it myself

• 2 weeks later...

I looked up the protein percentage at Calorie Counthttp://caloriecount.about.com/calories-spinach-i11457 Their percentage of protein is more like 13.5%. I've always been confused by these numbers. When the chart says spinach has 49%, how is that determined? In my mind that would say, essentially, half of a spinach leaf contains protein but I don't believe that to be the case, unless you are Popeye.

How much spinach would I need to eat to get the same protein contained in a single egg? That would help answer this question.

Thanks,

Burt

Muchidna, the categories you've put forth sound very well. I'd add nuts to that as well as vegetable oils/fats. If you could plot in date for each of those categories, that'd be awesome. right now I'm swamped in practical things that need to be done at home and am training for an exam as well.

I looked up the protein percentage at Calorie Counthttp://caloriecount.about.com/calories-spinach-i11457 Their percentage of protein is more like 13.5%. I've always been confused by these numbers. When the chart says spinach has 49%, how is that determined? In my mind that would say, essentially, half of a spinach leaf contains protein but I don't believe that to be the case, unless you are Popeye.

How much spinach would I need to eat to get the same protein contained in a single egg? That would help answer this question.

Thanks,

Burt

It isn't that it is X% protein, it is that X% of the total calories are from protein. These foods are mainly going to be water, which has no calories. What's left will provide calories, which will be from carbs, fat and protein. The total calories are very low, per weight. But of those calories, there is very low amount from fat, high from protein and very high from carbs. To say 'calories from' means that if you have 100 calories of a food, and say 20% come from protein, the that is 20 calories from protein. Since each gram of protein has 4 calories, that would mean it has 5g of protein per 100 calories. I don't understand the disagreement of protein quantities in food either, it is confusing. I generally see around 30% for spinach.