How much protein?

All topics relating to health, diet, nutrition programs and any questions you might have about general health.

Moderators: Mini Forklift Ⓥ, C.O., Richard, robert, SyrLinus

The PhytoAthlete
Manatee

Re: How much protein?

#16 Postby The PhytoAthlete » Thu May 08, 2014 7:40 am

SoVegan wrote:A study published in the British Journal of Cancer in 2000 found that "intake of protein rich in essential amino acids was positively associated with serum IGF-I." IGF-1 has been shown in many studies to increase hormonal (like prostate and breast) cancer rates. I wonder if protein loading is a good idea at all, especially since its never been shown to increase muscle mass, which would be an easy thing to show in a trial if it worked.

Allen NE, Appleby PN, Davey GK, Key TJ. Hormones and diet: low insulin-like growth factor-I but normal bioavailable androgens in vegan men. Br J Cancer. 2000 Jul;83(1):95-7.

IGF-1 is definitely something to be concerned with, it is a cancer causing just as you state. But it is my understanding that protein from plant sources does not raise IGF-1, that is animal protein that does the raising. But i may be wrong on this, are there studies that show otherwise that you know of?

SoVegan
Finch

Re: How much protein?

#17 Postby SoVegan » Tue May 13, 2014 11:04 am

The PhytoAthlete wrote:
IGF-1 is definitely something to be concerned with, it is a cancer causing just as you state. But it is my understanding that protein from plant sources does not raise IGF-1, that is animal protein that does the raising. But i may be wrong on this, are there studies that show otherwise that you know of?

I have seen statements in studies that say large amounts of soy protein will also upregulate IGF-1, but I don't think the upregulation is as pronounced as animal protein.

Return to “Health & Nutrition Programs”