Vegan Bodybuilding & Fitness

Healthy Food Defines You
It is currently Wed Nov 26, 2014 3:23 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: Eating Fruits After a Full-Protein Meal
PostPosted: Mon Aug 05, 2013 9:00 am 
Manatee

Since i love fruits and i am used to eat at least one kind of fruit per meal, i would like to know if after after the lunch or dinner full-protein meal is possible to eat fruits, i heard somewhere and from other vegan mates, that fruits and their acids dont make assimilate the proteins, so i should wait at least 1 hour. is it true? if yes what kind of fruits i could or couldnt eat after a protein meal?

Post subject: Re: Eating Fruits After a Full-Protein Meal
PostPosted: Mon Aug 05, 2013 9:39 am 
Rabbit

I disagree! There are many natural bodybuilders who believe spiking their insulin by the intake of carbohydrates (usually higher GI rated) following your workout has anabolic effects. Also carbs are protein sparing. What this means is that having some carbs with or about the same time as protein will allow your body to utilize the protein for what you intended. There is a ton of bro-science out there and I'm not saying what I just told you is OR is not that. But I have a book called "Better Than Steroids" that addresses this very thing and is written by a Doctor that is also a bodybuilder, Dr. Warren Willey:

PostPosted: Mon Aug 05, 2013 11:38 am 
Manatee

that's interesting, im going to search some about willey. what is your personal experience? do you eat fruits after a protein meal? if yes, what kind of fruits?

PostPosted: Mon Aug 05, 2013 11:49 am 
Elephant

EdensDemise wrote:
.... i heard somewhere and from other vegan mates, that fruits and their acids dont make assimilate the proteins, so i should wait at least 1 hour. is it true?....

This is definitely NOT true. As far as calories go, your body will break down fats, carbs, and proteins, no matter what else you eat them with.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 05, 2013 12:29 pm 
Manatee

Fallen_Horse wrote:
EdensDemise wrote:
.... i heard somewhere and from other vegan mates, that fruits and their acids dont make assimilate the proteins, so i should wait at least 1 hour. is it true?....

This is definitely NOT true. As far as calories go, your body will break down fats, carbs, and proteins, no matter what else you eat them with.

that's a good thing to hear :D especially because without eating fruits after a complete meal i feel like something is missing. so for example i can eat i dont know sandwich with tofu a banana and some grapes?

PostPosted: Mon Aug 05, 2013 1:18 pm 
Rabbit

EdensDemise wrote:
that's interesting, im going to search some about willey. what is your personal experience? do you eat fruits after a protein meal? if yes, what kind of fruits?

I only toy with this on occasion. I love bananas and oranges though. ;) I really think all these theories and methods are very minor tweaks...but they are fun to experiment with imo.