Essential Vitamins and minerals??

All topics relating to health, diet, nutrition programs and any questions you might have about general health.

Moderators: Mini Forklift Ⓥ, C.O., Richard, robert, SyrLinus

Greggoires
Finch

Essential Vitamins and minerals??

#1 Postby Greggoires » Thu Aug 08, 2013 1:00 pm

Hi Guys,
Apologies if this is a topic that has been covered already. but..

Ive recently become,or rather come back to, a plant based diet and I want to know what the essential vitamin/mineral/supplements I should be taking to support a healthy, lean, mean plant powered machine.
I'm trying to add some muscle over the next few months and want to ensure that I am doing everything correctly to help my efforts.
I try to get most of my nutrtional profile by eating a broad range of whole foods but I understand that there are some things you just have to take to support a vegan lifestyle.
So other than B12, zinc and a good plant based protein powder is there anything else i should incorporate?

Thanks in advance

HapPEAness

Fallen_Horse
Elephant

Re: Essential Vitamins and minerals??

#2 Postby Fallen_Horse » Thu Aug 08, 2013 7:35 pm

Personally I like taking B12, Calcium, Vitamin D, and DHA. I will also rotate the Calcium/D with a standard multivitamin sometimes. The DHA is rather expensive at $30/mo, but the others are pretty darn cheap.
Learning how to be compassionate, gain wisdom, and love life.

stcalico
Manatee

Re: Essential Vitamins and minerals??

#3 Postby stcalico » Thu Aug 08, 2013 8:14 pm

B12. Calcium if you don't eat at least 3 cups of greens per day or fortified 'milk'. And for me personally, I started to add iodized salt. I never cut out salt, but after I had issues, I realized I was not getting anywhere near enough iodine. I could buy an iodine supp... but 1/4 tsp of salt's easy too.

Best source isher e
If it's important to you, you'll find a way. If it isn't, you'll find an excuse.

Return to “Health & Nutrition Programs”