Question for Sexy Fit Vegan... How to Build Muscle

SexyFitVegan

I would like to answer Adam's question under this new topic because I know this is one of the most common questions I get, and hopefully it will help others. I also have information on this topic on my website & free newsletter, http://www.sexyfitvegan.com/free

From Adam:

Hi Ella,

I'm interested in gaining muscle on a vegan diet. I've been vegan for a really long time but struggle with the nutrition aspect. I'm not sure if it's portion control, time of day that I eat or the caloric makeup of what I'm eating. I've recently starting lifting with in an interest in developing muscle and increasing maxes but I haven't lost weight as quickly as I would like. help!

My response:

Hi Adam,

I would love to help you tackle your issue and help you figure out how to reach your goals! If you choose to take this on with me, what I need you to do first is keep a detailed food journal for at least 4 days, preferably 5 and post it here for me to see. Please be specific about the foods and portions (and totally honest of course!)

Hope to hear from you soon!

-Ella

I doubt 4 to 5 days will give you an accurate accounting of someone's diet. Most people when asked to this will adapt the way they eat for a few days. Some do it subconsciously, just the idea of having to write down and tell someone what they eat makes them think more about their choices. Then others commonly eat decent during the week and then binge or eat more on weekends. So to get a real view of how someone eats I generally find it's better to have at least 2 weeks, but a minimum of a full one week view.

I totally agree Kora. I would have Adam continue to journal after those 4 or 5 days, but I would be able to give him at least a tip or two after seeing 4 or 5 days worth of food intake. Even just to stay connected... 7-14 days without contact can lead to someone giving up before they even get started!