transition from vegitarian to vegan with food intolerances

Lorraine

Search the site Im sure you'll find what you need. The search button is in the upper right hand corner of the page here in the forums section. Try key words like ibs, gluten free, etc.

Also if you didnt already see it there is a thread on recipes.

• 3 weeks later...

I have found that a lot of ethnic food is naturally vegan and wheat free. Some soy free as well.

Ethiopian food traditionally is dairy and egg free, and the Injera is gluten free. However, many restaurants and markets will make their injera by mixing the teff with wheat or buckwheat flower because it makes it much easier to make. My favorite recipe is Miser Wat. I still have some left in my fridge. It is made with red lentils and an Ethiopian spice called berbere. Berbere a mix of spices and you can make your own. It is like curry is to indian in that each family have their own recipe and they are all a little different. http://chameleonkitchen.me/2013/04/21/miser-wat-ethiopian-red-lentils/

Thai food is traditionally dairy-free, wheat-free, and mostly soy-free. You have to watch out for eggs and fish sauce. Rice noodles and some peanut sauce with a dash of lime make a wonderful meal.

Indian food is about half dairy-free and wheat-free. Traditionally egg free and they don't use much soy, if any. There are a lot of curry recipes online that are fast and easy to make and can be poured over rice. Some places have a potato or lentil bread that may be gluten-free.

Korean is largely dairy, egg, and gluten free. Just make sure the noodles are rice. If you are ever in Chicago, Amitubal is a great Korean place.

Whole-foods and raw is always your best source of nutrients.

Hi,

Im a vegetarian with IBS, and I want to be a soya, wheat, gluten, sugar, dairy free and organic eating vegan, would appreciate any advice on nutrition, recipes, anything!

Thanks

Lorraine

Thanks for that rabbit, I do eat a lot of curries actually, only I buy them, as the ones I make don't taste that great haha ! that's a great idea of checking out various countries foods, I love thai but gotto learn to cook it so it tastes nice, I've had a look on this site but haven't found anything yet. I cant eat lentils or beans because of ibs, but thanks again , at the mo. i'm focusing on simple meals foods, and raw where it doesn't set off the ibs too., ta!

Thanks for that rabbit, I do eat a lot of curries actually, only I buy them, as the ones I make don't taste that great haha ! that's a great idea of checking out various countries foods, I love thai but gotto learn to cook it so it tastes nice, I've had a look on this site but haven't found anything yet. I cant eat lentils or beans because of ibs, but thanks again , at the mo. i'm focusing on simple meals foods, and raw where it doesn't set off the ibs too., ta!

I have Crohn's disease and a bunch of food allergies. I don't eat ANY grains or quasi grains and no starches like potatoes and no corn. Sugar or vegetable oils and I limit soy to special occasions.

Most of my calories come from fat. Coconut milk, coconut oil, olives, olive oil, tahini, flaxseed meal, avocados, walnuts, macadamia nuts, cashews, almonds, hemp seeds, sunflower seeds and pumpkin seeds. And various nut butters of those latter ones. The rest of my calories come from split peas and other legumes and then the last is protein powder.

My diet is this to give you an idea.

Pea/rice protein

300g or 400g dry peas/beans depending on if it is a lifting day or not with carrots, garlic, onion, flaxseed, olive oil, Nutritional yeast and a half, whole or no avocado depending if it is a weightlifting day or if I feel I've I need more calories.

Pea/rice protein with half my hemp seeds and 1/4 to 1\2 a cup coconut milk and a serving of nuts and seeds and some nut butter.

About 1/2 lb of veggies sautéed in coconut oil with garlic, and the rest of my hemp seeds.